He is considered a leading mind in creative concept development, strategy-building and decision management in the United States and Japan.
A self-proclaimed "creative visual thinker" and "diagram-lover", Hamaguchi uses visual models to bring what he calls "simplexity" and "structured chaos" to the process of brainstorming, helping businesses generate creative ideas and strategies in various industries & businesses.
Hamaguchi started his business career with Panasonic Corporation (former Matsushita Electric Works, Ltd.) in Japan. In 1993, he became one of their first corporate decision analysts, supporting board members and executives with strategic decision making. In 1994, he created the concept of the Intranet and developed Japan's first corporate Intranet with Toru Takasuka.
While at Ziba, he created the concept of the world's first USB flash drive. IBM first marketed the drives in North America in 2000, with its product the "DiskOnKey" (manufactured by the Israeli company M-Systems). In 2002, he helped the start-up of MDRM, an Israeli company developing technology for digital rights management through flash memory cards. (SanDisk acquired MDRM in December 2004.)
In 2001, Hamaguchi returned to Panasonic Electric Works, Ltd. During his time there he was Director of the New Business Planning Group in Japan and Executive Vice President of Panasonic Electric Works Laboratory of America, Inc. in the U.S.A.
In 2009 he returned to Ziba Design as Director of Strategy.
Hamaguchi has developed his own theory and methodology (Model Based Approach) for creative concept and strategy building through his experiences in various industries, businesses and technologies.
Hamaguchi is Yanko Design's Design Strategist.
While at Ziba Design, Hamaguchi has participated at the following public speaking events:
- "Theory and Approach for Innovative Concepts" - NikkeiBP Top Leader Platinum Seminar - Tokyo, Japan  (04-21-2010)
- "Framework-ing" - Diamond DMN (Design Management Network) - Seminar - Tokyo, Japan  (06-03-2010)
- "Is Innovation Methodology Possible?" - i.school Summer Symposium 2010 (University of Tokyo) - Keynote Speech - Tokyo, Japan  (08-28-2010)
- "Culture Codes: A Framework for Culture Based Design" - BODW2010 - Keynote Speech - Hong Kong, China  (12-04-2010)
- "The Manner of Innovation" - Super Network Event (Kyoto University) - Speech - Kyoto, Japan  (05-29-2011)
- "Designing Business Innovation" - Knowledge of Design Week 2011 (HKDC) - Keynote Speech and Workshop - Hong Kong, China  (06-24-2011)
- "Creative Process for Innovation" - Creativities Unfold, Bangkok 2011 (TCDC) - Keynote Speech and Workshop - Bangkok, Thailand(09-30-2011, 10-02-2011)
- "Dynamic Frameworking" - Diamond DMN - Seminar - Tokyo, Japan  (10-27-2011, 11-17-2011, 01-19-2012)
- "Break the Bias"- TEDxPortland 2012 - Speech - Portland, Oregon  (04-21-2012)
- "Be A Business Designer!"- i.school Executive Seminar (University of Tokyo) - Speech - Tokyo, Japan  (05-08-2012)
Born in Osaka, Japan
- Titanium(IV) oxide photocatalyst of ultra-high activity
- SanDisk Acquires MDRM
- Hideshi Hamaguchi | Portland On Fire
- Tracking progress - Portland Business Journal:
- Portland International Engineering and Technology Management Center
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2011-05-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-12-26. Retrieved 2011-05-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-12-06. Retrieved 2011-06-24.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2011-10-17.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-31. Retrieved 2012-04-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-04-28. Retrieved 2012-05-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Portland's High Tech Community And The Space To Think