Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hierapolis or Hieropolis (Greek for sacred/Holy city) may refer to these Ancient cities in different Roman provinces of the Hellenistic world, and several former (now titular) (arch)bishoprics having see in such city :
- in modern Turkey
- Hierapolis, in Phrygia Pacatiana Secunda, near modern Pamukkale, south-western Turkey.
- Hierapolis in Phrygia remains a Latin Catholic Metropolitan titular archbishopric
- Hierapolis ad Pyramum or Castabala, in Cilicia Secunda, near modern Adana, south-east Turkey
- a Latin Catholic titular bishopric, but under the name Castabala
- Hierapolis in Isauria,
- a Latin Catholic Titular bishopric with see in the above city
- Hieropolis of the Phrygian Pentapolis, modern Koçhisar, Sandıklı, near Afyonkarahisar, central Turkey
- Hieropolis Comana, in Cappadocia (central Turkey)
- in modern Syria
- Hierapolis Euphratensis or Hierapolis Bambyce, in Roman Syria Euphratensis Prima, modern Manbij, north-central Syria
- as Hierapolis in Syria, the above city is the nominal see of three Catholic successor titular sees :
- Hierakonpolis, a Hellenistic city of Upper Egypt
disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Hierapolis.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.