Jump to navigation Jump to search
Hierapolis or Hieropolis (Greek for sacred/Holy city) may refer to these Ancient cities in different Roman provinces of the Hellenistic world, and several former (now titular) (arch)bishoprics having see in such city :
- in modern Turkey
- Hierapolis, in Phrygia Pacatiana Secunda, near modern Pamukkale, south-western Turkey.
- Hierapolis in Phrygia remains a Latin Catholic Metropolitan titular archbishopric
- Hierapolis ad Pyramum or Castabala, in Cilicia Secunda, near modern Adana, south-east Turkey
- a Latin Catholic titular bishopric, but under the name Castabala
- Hierapolis in Isauria,
- a Latin Catholic Titular bishopric with see in the above city
- Hieropolis of the Phrygian Pentapolis, modern Koçhisar, Sandıklı, near Afyonkarahisar, central Turkey
- Hieropolis Comana, in Cappadocia (central Turkey)
- in modern Syria
- Hierapolis Euphratensis or Hierapolis Bambyce, in Roman Syria Euphratensis Prima, modern Manbij, north-central Syria
- as Hierapolis in Syria, the above city is the nominal see of three Catholic successor titular sees :
- Hierakonpolis, a Hellenistic city of Upper Egypt
| disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Hierapolis.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.