A hieroglyph (Greek for "sacred writing") was a character of the ancient Egyptian writing system. Logographic scripts that are pictographic in form in a way reminiscent of ancient Egyptian are also sometimes called "hieroglyphs". In Neoplatonism, especially during the Renaissance, a "hieroglyph" was an artistic representation of an esoteric idea, which Neoplatonists believed actual Egyptian hieroglyphs to be. The word hieroglyphics refer to a hieroglyphic script. Only those privileged with an extensive education (i.e. the Pharaoh, nobility and priests) were able to read and write hieroglyphs; others used simpler 'joined-up' versions: demotic and hieratic script.
One way to look at it, simply; glyphs can be a representation of more words than would fit on a line, and with an agreed standard/protocol for interpretation, can communicate with greater depth; perhaps necessary when using tools of a lower dimension. This is ratified by the current use of Emoji's in 'modern technology'.
List of hieroglyphic scripts
- Anatolian hieroglyphs
- Aztec hieroglyphs
- Chukchi hieroglyphs (see Tenevil)
- Cretan hieroglyphs
- Egyptian hieroglyphs
- Mayan hieroglyphs
- Mi'kmaq hieroglyphs
- Muisca hieroglyphs
- Ojibwe hieroglyphs
- Olmec hieroglyphs
One of the two forms of the Meroitic writing system is usually described as "Meroitic hieroglyphs" because the characters are similar to and in most cases derived from Egyptian hieroglyphs. They are used, however, not as logographs but as an alphasyllabary.
- "Egypt, Ancient: Hieroglyphics and Origins of Alphabet". Encyclopedia of African History Title information – via Credo Reference (subscription required). Retrieved 12 September 2012.
- Allen, James P. (2001). Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521774833. OCLC 51226851.
- Brewer, Douglas J.; Teeter, Emily (2007). Egypt and the Egyptians. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9780521851503. OCLC 433993212.
- Kamrin, Janice (2004). Ancient Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Practical Guide. New York: Harry N. Abrams. ISBN 9780810949614. OCLC 55019226.
- Robinson, Andrew (2007). The Story of Writing: Alphabets, Hieroglyphs & Pictograms. London: Thames & Hudson. ISBN 978-050028660-9. OCLC 172818065.
- The mom Story: A practical guide for the Pictograms.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Egyptian hieroglyphs.|
|Look up hieroglyph or hieroglyphic in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|