Location of Higashi-ku in Sapporo
|Established||April 1, 1972|
|• Total||56.97 km2 (22.00 sq mi)|
|Estimation as of December 31, 2014|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (Japan Standard Time)|
|Address||7-1 Kita Juichijyo Higashi, Higashi-ku, Sapporo-shi, Hokkaido|
|Website||Higashi Ward Office|
The ward has a mascot character, Tappy, which was designed to be an onion-themed fairy; it was named in 1993, and is a portmanteau of "Tamanegi" (meaning onion in Japanese) and "happy". The onion is a vegetable raised in Higashi-ku, and therefore Tappy is associated with onions.
Originally, at the place where Higashi-ku is, Naebo Village and Okadama Village were established by pioneers in 1870. Sapporo Village was established in 1871, and Kariki Village was established in 1873. In 1902, Naebo Village, Okadama Village, and Kariki Village were merged into Sapporo Village, which covered nearly the same extent as the current Higashi-ku.
In 1955, Sapporo Village was merged into Sapporo City. In 1972, Sapporo was listed as one of the cities designated by government ordinance, which enabled Higashi-ku to be established. In 1988, the Tōhō line of the Sapporo Municipal Subway was laid, and subway stations were placed in Higashi-ku.
- Sapporo Kaisei Secondary school
- Hokkaido Sapporo Okadama High School
- Hokkaido Sapporo Toryo High School
- Hokkaido Sapporo Toho High School
- Hokkaido Sapporo Kaisei High School
- Sapporo Otani High School
- Sapporo Kosei High School
- Sapporo Hokuto High School
- Okadama Airport - an airport located in Okadama.
- Sapporo Municipal Subway
Points of interest
- Moerenuma park - a park designed by Isamu Noguchi, an American-Japanese artist.
- Sapporo Satoland - one of the venues of the Sapporo Snow Festival.
- Sapporo Beer Museum - the only beer museum in Japan.
- Sapporo Community Dome - a sports and event venue, which is also known as its nickname "Tsu-Dome".
- Ario - a large shopping mall.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Higashi-ku, Sapporo.|
- Higashi-ku, symbol
- The history of the reclamation of Higashi-ku Archived 2007-10-29 at the Wayback Machine
- "会社概要." Hokkaido Air System. Retrieved on August 30, 2011. "〒007-0880 札幌市東区丘珠町 丘珠空港内"
- "会社概要." Hokkaido Air System. Retrieved on May 19, 2009. "本社事務所 ： 千歳市美々新千歳空港ターミナルビル内"
- "会社概要." Air Nippon Network. April 6, 2004. Retrieved on May 20, 2009. "本社所在地 北海道札幌市東区丘珠町63番地"
- Youkoso Higashiku - Official homepage of Higashi-ku (in Japanese)