Promotional Higglytown Heroes poster
|Created by||George Evelyn
Frankie Ryan Manriquez
Dee Bradley Baker
Kevin Michael Richardson
Lara Jill Miller
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||40|
|Production company(s)||Wild Brain
The Happy Nest Company (2004–08)
Happy Nest Entertainment Company (2012–present)
|Distributor||Playhouse Disney Original (2004–08)|
|Original network||Playhouse Disney (2004–09)
Disney Junior (2012–14)
|Original release||September 12, 2004– January 7, 2008|
Higglytown Heroes is an American children's television series currently airing on the Disney Junior (formerly Playhouse Disney) portion of the Disney Channel, or, on some cable networks, the Playhouse Disney channel. The theme song of the show, Here in Higglytown, is performed by They Might Be Giants, which was also released on their second children's album Here Come the ABCs. Higglytown Heroes returned to Disney Junior on its cable and satellite channel replacing SOAPnet on March 23, 2012. The Higglytown Heroes TV series was built using Autodesk Maya which was used to design models and textures for the Higglytown Heroes Characters, and Photoshop which was used to create the 2D backgrounds and 2D props.
The show aired in reruns on Disney Junior from 2012-2014.
Higglytown Heroes tells the story of four young characters (Eubie, Wayne, Twinkle & Kip). Along the way, whose person and environment are modeled after Matryoshka nesting dolls, explore their city and the people in it. The main non-human character, who is almost always with them, is a red squirrel named Fran.
Higglytown heroes have ranged from firefighters to dentists to snow plow operators. Voice actors for these Higglytown heroes are frequently guest celebrities. The series encourages involvement in the community, and means to inspire children to consider the importance of individuals who contribute to the world and make it a better place. The show also teaches kids about jobs and may influence them about what they want to be when they grow up.
The lyrics to the first "Hero" song were written by Kent Redeker, one of the show's executive producers. The song was composed and produced by Mark Harrison, the show's senior songwriter.
Each episode contains two songs. An initial "dilemma" song which sets up the "problem" which needs to be solved followed by the "hero" song which introduces the hero who solves the problem, some of the heroes later appear in later episodes and renamed to Mr., Ms. or Miss or Mrs. (depending on their gender) like the Gardener Hero who first appeared in the episode "Flower Power" who later got renamed to Mr. Gardener in the episode "Look Who's Squawking" and Mr. Electrician who first appeared in "Electric Evening" later appeared in later episodes like "A Valentine For Ms. Fern".
While every hero song has the same basic melody as the initial hero song written by Harrison, he performed and produced each song with different lyrics and instrumentation to fit the episode's specific hero.
Brad Mossman, the other principal songwriter, composed lyrics and music for a number of dilemma songs in many episodes as well.
"Up A Tree"/"Missing Grandpop"
"Twinkle Tooth"/"Flower Power"
"First Snow"/"Snow Dazed"
"Flappy's Not Happy"/"Electric Evening"
"All Tire'd Out"/"Great Un-Expectations"
"Smooth Operator"/"Stinky Situation"
"Weather or Not"/"Green in the Gills"
"Halloween Heroes" (aka "Higgly Halloween")
- Travis Tritt - Farmer Hero
"Smells Like a Mystery"/"Ship Ahoy!"
"Soup With Stars"/"The Happy Friendly Sparkly Toast Club"
"Catch Up With Ketchup"/"Star Struck"
"Twinkle's Masterpiece"/"The Egg-cellent Adventure"
- Sharon Stone - Nicki the Blind Art Teacher
- Anne Heche - Gloria the Waitress
- Dee Bradley Baker -The Egg Farmer Hero
"Wayne's Ripping Adventure"/"Meet Eubie's Cousin"
"Say What?"/"Higgly Harmonies"
- Nathalia Hencker - Translator Hero
- Jamie-Lynn DiScala - Miss Fern
- David Naughton - Orchestra Conductor Hero
"Wayne's Good Guess"/"Wayne's 100 Special Somethings"
"Patty Cake"/"Havin' A Ball"
"Bright Sights, Big City"/"Kip's Shadow"
- Marissa Jaret Winokur - Taxi Driver Hero
- Carlos Alazraqui - Shelter Worker Hero
- Jesse David Corti - Jax
"Fran Takes a Hike"/"Mystery at Kip's House"
"Kip Joins the Circus"/"Baby Boom"
- Donald Faison - Firefighter Hero
- Erik Estrada - Ambulance Driver/Paramedic Hero
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Uncle Lemno
- Rob Paulsen - Barber
- Mindy Sterling - Mrs Barber
"Twinkle's Favorite Author"/"Don't Fence Me In"
"Higgly Hoedown"/"Eubie's Turbo Sled"
"Kip's Dad Gets a Strike"/"A Really Hot Day"
"Kip's Sweet Tooth"/"Wayne's Lollipop"
"Eubie's Pink Dots"/"Two Bees or Not Two Bees"
"Higgly Frog Day"/"Eubie's Elly-Fantastic Adventure"
- Maggie Wheeler - Street Sweeper Hero
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Uncle Lemmo
- Alyson Reed - Zookeeper Hero
"Twinkle Twinkle Little Fish"/"All the Wrong Moves"
"Kip Gets Swing Fever"/"Wayne's Pieces of Gold"
"All Warm Inside"/"Calling All Ducks"
"A Totally Secret Valentine"/"A Valentine for Miss Fern"
"Cry Baby Pookie"/"Wait for Me"
"Balloon-a-Palooza"/"Wayne's Day Out"
- Michael T. Weiss - Mountain Rescue Squad Hero
- Katey Sagal - Police Woman Hero
- Matthew St. Patrick - Police Man Hero
- Cicely Tyson - Great Aunt Shirley
"The Fran in the Moon"
- Jane Kaczmarek - Astronaut Hero
"Me and My Shadow"/"Out to Sea"
- Jorge Garcia - Dog Trainer Hero
- Jamie-Lynn DiScala - Ms. Fern
- Debi Mae West - Lighthouse Keeper Hero
"Don't Wayne on My Parade"/"Twinkle's Terrific Twirl"
"Wayne's Big, Big Wish"/"Dirigible Day"
"The Legend of Higgsquatch"
"Eubie's Big Boat Float"/"A Slippery Situation"
- Anne Heche - Gloria the Waitress
- Matthew Kaminsky - Drawbridge Operator Hero
- David Jolliffe - Radiographer Hero
- Wayne Brady - Doctor
"Kip's Rocket Rescue"/"Let's Get Moving"
"Corn to Be Wild"/"Overnight Moose"
- Wilmer Valderrama - Helicopter Pilot Hero
"Shear Luck"/"Big Night Out"
"Calling All Cars"/"Amazing Museum"
"Frozen Fish Follies"/"Look Who's Squawking"
"Wayne's Day to Shine"/"Wayne Listens Up"
"A Hoppin' Poppin' Problem"/"Hay Hay Hay!!"
- Lesley Boone - Mechanic Hero, Bessy the Cow, Farmer Lulu
"Happy Campers"/"All Washed Out"
"Hat's All Folks"/"Hop Hop Hooray"
"Shuffleboard Buddies"/"All Mapped Out"
- Debi Mae West - Physical Therapist Hero
- David Jeremiah- Mapmaker Hero
"12-Pie Abe"/"The Day the Diner Stood Still"
"Saturday Night Higgly"/"Monster Sandwiches"
"The Big Pink Elephant Sale"/"Higglies on Horseback"
"Buki-Buki Boo-Boo"/"Signs of Spring"
"Easy to Get Sneezy"/"Unlock the Magic"
"Wayne's Cycle Recycle"/"Wayne's Wet Pet"
"X Marks the Spot"/"Eubie's View"
"Whing-A-Ding Whirly Box"/"Windy Watchers"
"Choo-Choo Zucchini"/"Something Ducky Going On"
- John O'Hurley - Freight Train Engineer Hero
- Bobby Holiday - House Painter Hero
- Betty White - Grandmama
"Fripp's Flip-Flap Flop"/"Say Cheese"
"Canyon Capers"/"High-Country Hiccups"
"Calling All Heroes"
- Jeffrey Tambor - Radio Announcer
"Happy Flappy Birthday"/"The Cuckoo County Caw-Caw Contest"
"Little Big Fish"/"Good Sports"
"'Tis the Season to be Snowy"/"Bingo Bongos"
- Joseph Gian - Stan the Bricklayer Hero
- They Might Be Giants - The Supertasters
- Shawn King - Usher Hero
"Wayne's Toasty Invention"/"Spell it Safe"
- Jamie-Lynn DiScala - Ms. Fern
- Ruth Williamson - Lunch Lady Hero
- Anna Maria Perez de Tagle - Shelby the Safety Patrol Hero
- Victor C. Strasburger and Edward Donnerstein, 1999. “Children, Adolescents, and the Media: Issues and Solutions,” Pediatrics, volume 103, number 1: pp. 129–139: Open Access Copy