High-ozone shock treatment
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
High Ozone shock treatment or ozone blasting has been promoted in recent years[when?] as a fast and inexpensive method of an unpleasant odor removal in commercial and residential buildings.
High Ozone Shock Treatment involves using an ozone generator with a timer to create lethal levels of ozone in an odour ridden or mold-affected room or building for a short period of time, perhaps an hour. Any area which may have high ozone levels must be evacuated for the duration.
At a time when many home and business owners are seeking to avoid more expensive methods - cleaning or removal of building material, in extreme cases the abandonment of sick buildings - high ozone shock treatment is a cheap and fast alternative. Ozone treatment can remove unpleasant odors, including those caused by mold, and can also kill vermin.
Criticism of ozone blasting for mold
Critics point to a 1997 study which found exposure to high levels of ozone ineffective at mold decontamination, and to the lack of studies showing high ozone shock treatment to be effective. They also point out that killing mold inside walls does not remove the mold, and that dead mold may continue to have adverse health effects on building inhabitants. Others point out that ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent which could damage rubber and other materials, and that ozone reactions could actually lead to increased levels of noxious chemicals such as formaldehyde.
There are many other studies confirming the effective use of ozone to kill mold in conjunction with other remediation techniques. The criticism also only applies to mold remediation.
- Foarde, K.K., D.W. VanOsdell, and R.S. Steiber. 1997. Investigation of Gas-Phase Ozone as a Potential Biocide. Appl. Occup. Environ. Hyg. 12(8):535-542
- "Ozone and Mold", Jim Holland