High Country News
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Frequency||Biweekly, 22 times per year|
|Based in||Paonia, Colorado|
High Country News is an independent non-profit news media source that publishes a magazine, website and other works. They cover issues facing the Western United States, and include a tribal affairs desk.
High Country News has more than 35,000 subscribers. In 2017, it received approximately 43% of its income from donations, 29% from subscriptions, 5% from advertising, and the balance from syndication and other sources.
According to a review in The Christian Science Monitor, the paper "is closely read in congressional offices and state houses, as well as in the government agencies that control most of the rural West. It has broken important stories subsequently picked up by the New York Times and other national media." Former Arizona Governor Bruce Babbitt described the paper as "the only place where you can really know what's happening in the rest of the West."
High Country News has received numerous journalism and environmental awards, including (but not limited to):
- Utne Reader magazine's 2013 Utne Media Award for Best Environmental Coverage
- 2013 National Association of Science Writers' 2013 Science in Society Award
- 2012 Knight-Risser Prize for Western Environmental Journalism
- The 2012 Science in Society Award from the National Association of Science Writers
- The 2012 Society of Environmental Journalists Awards, Outstanding Beat Reporting, Small Market
- 2011 Excellence in Journalism Awards from the Native American Journalists Association
- The Native American Journalists Association Best Environmental Story of 2010 (monthly/bimonthly category)
- Utne Reader magazine's 2010 Utne Independent Press Award for Environmental Coverage
- The 2010 Hillman Prize for Magazine Journalism
- The 2009 Society of Environmental Journalists Awards, Outstanding Small Market Reporting, Print category
- The 2008 Hillman Prize for Magazine Journalism
- The 2006 George Polk Award for Political Reporting
- "About Us".
- "Internal Revenue Service Form 990 Return of Organization Exempt From Income Tax".
- Knickerbocker, Brad (11 July 1991). "A Paper's Scrapping Western Crusade". The Christian Science Monitor. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Winners of the 2013 UtneMedia Awards".
- "Winners of the 2010 Utne Independent Press Awards". Retrieved 27 October 2010.
|This local interest magazine article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.