High Fidelity Pure Audio
Audio 2.0 or 5.1 Surround
DTS-HD Master Audio
|Capacity||25 GB (single-layer)|
50 GB (dual-layer)
|Read mechanism||405 nm diode laser|
|Developed by||Sony Pictures Entertainment, Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Pictures, Universal Music|
High Fidelity Pure Audio, occasionally abbreviated as HFPA, is a marketing initiative, spearheaded by Sony Music Universal Music Group, for audio-only Blu-ray optical discs. Launched in 2013 as a potential successor to the compact disc (CD), it has been compared with DVD-Audio and SACD, which had similar aims.
HFPA is encoded as 24-bit/96 kHz or 24-bit/192 kHz linear PCM ("high-resolution audio"), optionally losslessly compressed with Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio.
HFPA discs are compatible with existing Blu-Ray players.
Pure Audio Blu-ray refers to a different initiative (but with some goals in common) launched by msm-studios in Germany in 2009.
As of November 2019, Deutsche Grammophon is the most prolific publisher on the format, with Beethoven 250 having three Blu-Ray audio discs.
- ^ a b Hill, Brad. "Editorial: High Fidelity Pure Audio starting a noble but losing battle". Engadget. AOL Inc. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- ^ a b Guttenberg, Steve. "Deja vu: Yet another high-resolution audio 'format'". CNET. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- ^ "Universal Music, Dolby & QOL Support Pure Audio Group Launch". MESA Europe. Media & Entertainment Services Alliance. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- ^ a b "Universal Music bets on consumer longing for quality with hi-fi Pure Audio". DVD & Beyond. Globalcom Limited. Retrieved 4 January 2014.
- ^ "High Fidelity Pure Audio format brings hi-res audio to Blu-ray". 21 June 2013. Archived from the original on 22 May 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
Compatibility with any existing Blu-ray player or PS3 obviously gives HFPA an advantage over previous high-definition standards such as SACD.
- "Universal Music Details First 36 Blu-ray Audio Titles". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved 4 August 2014.
- "Second Wave of HFPA Blu-ray Audio Titles Announced". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved 4 August 2014.