Michelle Martin, Linda Howard, Barbara Mitchell (1979)
|Origin||Pasadena, California, |
|Genres||Pop, R&B, soul, Motown, disco|
|Associated acts||Smokey Robinson|
|Past members||Linda Howard (deceased)|
Vernessa Mitchell (1977-1978)
High Inergy started in 1976 when the four founding singers were discovered by Gwen Gordy Fuqua during a Bicentennial show in Pasadena, California. The members of the group included lead singer Vernessa Mitchell, her sister Barbara Mitchell, Linda Howard and Michelle Martin (or Rumph). The Mitchell sisters were singers, while the remaining members were known primarily for their dancing.
Fashioned after Martha and the Vandellas and the Supremes, the group was signed to Motown's Gordy subsidiary in 1977. They quickly found success with the R&B/pop hit, "You Can't Turn Me Off (In the Middle of Turning Me On)," which reached R&B number 2 and U.S. number 12.
The group would score a total of nine R&B hits before disbanding for solo careers in 1984.
Group member Linda Howard died on December 9, 2012.
On their 1980 album, Hold On, the group collaborated with labelmates Switch on the track "Hold On to My Love." The song features Switch member Bobby DeBarge as the male lead vocalist. DeBarge also produced and co-wrote the song.
|1977||Turnin' On||Gordy G6-978 S1||6||28|
|1978||Steppin' Out||Gordy G7-982 R1||46||42|
|1979||Shoulda Gone Dancin'||Gordy G7-987 R1||72||147|
|Frenzy||Gordy G7-989 R1||—||205|
|1980||Hold On||Gordy G8-996 M1||70||208|
|1981||High Inergy||Gordy G8-1005 M1||—||203|
|1982||So Right||Gordy 6006GL||—||—|
|1983||Groove Patrol||Gordy 6041GL||62||206|
|1977||You Can't Turn Me Off (In The Middle of Turning Me On) b/w Save It For A Rainy Day||Gordy G 7155F||2||12||-|
|1978||Love Is All You Need b/w Some Kinda Magic||Gordy G 7157F||20||89||-|
|We Are The Future b/w High School||Gordy G 7160F||77||-||-|
|Lovin' Fever b/w Beware||Gordy G 7161F||51||-||-|
|1979||Shoulda Gone Dancin' b/w Peaceland||Gordy G 7166F||50||-||35|
|1980||Make Me Yours b/w I Love Makin' Love (To The Music)||Gordy G 7187F||68||-||-|
|1981||Goin' Through The Motions||Gordy||73||—||-|
|1982||First Impressions b/w Could This Be Love||Gordy 1613GF||50||-||-|
|1983||He's A Pretender b/w Don't Let Up On The Groove||Gordy 1662GF||62||82||25|
- Lowe, John. "High Inergy - Biography". United States: All Music Guide. Retrieved 2010-12-21.
- Hold On (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1980.
- Groove Patrol (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1983.
- Turnin' On (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1977.
- Steppin' Out (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1978.
- Shoulda Gone Dancin (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1979.
- Frenzy (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1979.
- High Inergy (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1981.
- So Right (Media notes). High Inergy. Hollywood, California: Gordy Records. 1982.