High On Fire
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|High On Fire|
High On Fire live in 2008
|Origin||Oakland, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Sludge metal, stoner metal, doom metal, thrash metal|
|Labels||Relapse, Man's Ruin, Koch|
|Associated acts||Sleep, Thrones, The Melvins, Zeke, Asbestosdeath, Kalas, Below the Sound|
|Past members||Joe Preston
High On Fire is an American heavy metal band from Oakland, California, that was formed in 1998. Their name is a backwards play on the song "Fire On High" by Electric Light Orchestra, as well as a reference to their stoner culture. Matt Pike, the band's frontman and founder, also plays guitar for the influential stoner doom band Sleep.
|This section requires expansion with: Critical reception. (January 2011)|
High On Fire was founded in 1998 by former Sleep guitarist Matt Pike, drummer Des Kensel, and bassist George Rice (from Dear Deceased, who originally auditioned to be the band's vocalist). The band's first full-length album The Art of Self Defense was released on 12th Records, and released later on Man's Ruin Records. (The album would later be re-released by Tee Pee Records, with two bonus tracks, as Man's Ruin Records had become defunct.)
In 2001, High On Fire signed a record deal with Relapse Records and recorded the album Surrounded by Thieves. The album was released on May 28, 2002. After the tours promoting Surrounded by Thieves, bassist George Rice left the band and was replaced by ex-Melvins/Thrones bassist Joe Preston.
The band's next album, 2005's Blessed Black Wings, was largely written by Pike and Kensel before the recording of the album took place. The album was produced by Steve Albini, and was released on February 1, 2005. A music video was produced for the song "Devilution." While touring with Goatwhore and Watch Them Die to promote Blessed Black Wings, Joe Preston left the band for undisclosed reasons, and was temporarily replaced by Zeke bassist Jeff Matz. Matz finished the tour with High On Fire and became a full-time member during the recording of Death Is This Communion. Death Is This Communion was released on September 18, 2007 (September 10, in Europe).
After Death is This Communion was released, High On Fire played a small string of Northwest shows to promote it. The band did a headline tour of North America in September and October 2007, with support from the Japanese post-rock band Mono, along with Panthers and Coliseum. High On Fire also played on 2008's Gigantour, which was followed by a North American tour with the bands Opeth, Baroness, and Nachtmystium.
On December 17, 2008, High On Fire signed a recording deal with Koch Records. On August 1, 2009, it was announced that a new album would be recorded with producer Greg Fidelman. Later that month, following the news of the new album, High On Fire announced a tour with Mastodon, Dethklok, and Converge. The tour spanned from October 2 to November 21.
In August 2009, the band went into post-production of the follow-up to Death Is This Communion at The Pass Studios in Los Angeles. The album artwork for the new album was released on January 7, 2010. On January 15, following the release of the album artwork, the song Frost Hammer was posted on the band's Myspace page, and a video for the song was released on March 16, 2010. High On Fire's fifth album Snakes for the Divine was formally released on February 23, 2010.
In March 2010, the band announced a headlining U.S. tour to promote the album; supporting bands for the tour include Priestess, Black Cobra, and Bison B.C.. On April 6, 2010, the band announced they would be opening for Metallica for eight European shows.
In 2010, the band was confirmed as being part of the soundtrack for Namco Bandai Games' 2010 remake of Splatterhouse. On April 3, 2012, High On Fire released their sixth studio album, De Vermis Mysteriis. Metalsucks.net reviews editor Sammy O'Hagar argued that the band has "rebounded in epic fashion" since their last album, and that "Even for a band as esteemed as High On Fire, [De Vermis Mysteriis] is a career high point."
High On Fire was scheduled to play the 2012 Mayhem Festival but dropped off the tour due to Matt Pike's health. Matt Pike returned to the band and they once again began touring in November 2012.
As of January 2014, the band is in the process of writing new material for an upcoming release. High On Fire's new album Luminiferous became available in full for free streaming as a preview with NPR music on June 7, 2015, with the official release of the album nine days later on June 16. Luminiferous is the second High On Fire album in a row produced by Converge guitarist Kurt Ballou. NPR reviewer Adrien Begrand credits Kurt Ballou with "helping rejuvenate the band's sound" on their previous album, and praises the album as evidence of High On Fire's consistency, fueled by the "right combination of adherence to formula and subtle experimentation." Dan Epstein, writing for Rolling Stone, concurs that "one could definitely make the case that [Luminiferous] is High on Fire's finest album yet."
- Studio Albums
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Hard Rock Albums
|Top Rock Albums
|Top Album Sales
|2000||The Art of Self Defense
|2002||Surrounded by Thieves
|2005||Blessed Black Wings
|2007||Death Is This Communion
|2010||Snakes for the Divine
|2012||De Vermis Mysteriis
- Live Albums
|2005||Live from the Relapse Contamination Festival
||Recorded on location at the Trocadero Theatre, Philadelphia, PA, Sunday, January 19, 2003 for the Relapse Contamination Festival.|
|2013||Spitting Fire Live, Vol.1
||Recorded live at the Bowery Ballroom, New York, NY on November 30, 2012 and at the Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY on December 01, 2012.|
|2013||Spitting Fire Live, Vol.2
||Recorded live at the Music Hall of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, NY on December 01, 2012.|
- EPs and Splits
|1999||"High On Fire"||12th Records||EP|
|2003||"Hung, Drawn & Quartered / March Of The Fire Ants"||Relapse Records||Split with Mastodon|
|2005||"Brother In The Wind / Gwodhunqa"||Skin Graft Records||Split with Ruins|
|2007||"Relapse Single Series"||Relapse Records||Split with Coliseum & Baroness|
|2012||"Speak In Tongues/Beast With A Billion Eyes"||Volcom Entertainment||Split with Valient Thorr|
|2010||"Frost Hammer"||Snakes for the Divine||E1 Music|
|2010||"Speak in Tongues"||De Vermis Mysteriis||E1 Music|
|2012||"Fertile Green"||De Vermis Mysteriis||E1 Music|
|2013||"Slave The Hive"||Luminiferous||Scion Audio/Visual|
- Music Videos
|2002||"Hung, Drawn and Quartered"||Jenny McGee||Surrounded by Thieves|
|2005||"Devilution"||Gary Smithson||Blessed Black Wings|
|2007||"Rumors of War"||Soren||Death Is This Communion|
|2010||"Frost Hammer"||Kevin Custer||Snakes for the Divine|
|2012||"Fertile Green"||Phil Mucci||De Vermis Mysteriis|
|2013||"Slave The Hive"||NA||Luminiferous|
- "About". High on Fire. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- "High On Fire - Official Relapse Records Band Page". Relapse.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire Complete Video For "Devilution" - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. 2010-09-04. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire Recruit Zeke Bassist For Tour - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire Announce Winter Tour Dates - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "Gigantour 2008 Lineup Revealed - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "Opeth Announces More Headlining US Tour Dates - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire To Enter The Studio - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "Dethklok and Mastodon Announce Massive US Tour - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire Reveals New Album Artwork - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire Streaming New Song Online - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High On Fire Posts New Music Video Online - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- "High on Fire - new album (MP3) & 2010 tour dates w/ Priestess, Black Cobra & Bison B.C". BrooklynVegan. 2010-02-09. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "High On Fire: announces spring tour dates with METALLICA". CenturyMedia. 2010-04-06. Retrieved 2013-11-03.
- O'Hagar, Sammy. "High On Fire's De Vermis Mysteriis: The Best Metal Album With "Mysteriis" In The Title Not Made By Mayhem". Metalsucks.net. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Pelly, Jenn (2012-06-08). "High On Fire Cancel Tour, Matt Pike Entering Rehab".
- Begrand, Adrien. "First Listen: High On Fire, 'Luminiferous'". NPR.org. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Epstein, Dan. "High on Fire Talk Aliens, Acid Trips and Why New Album 'Doesn't Suck'". Rollingstone.com. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "High On Fire". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 9 September 2015.
- "High On Fire - Spitting Fire live Vol. 1 & Vol. 2". Discogs.com. Discogs.com. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- Live Performance from Amoeba S.F
- Official website
- High On Fire at MySpace
- High On Fire praised by John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats
- High On Fire interview on Rockmidgets.com
- Late Night Wallflower Interview with Des Kensel
- Interview with High On Fire on Swigged.net