High School (song)
|Single by Nicki Minaj featuring Lil Wayne|
|from the album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded – The Re-Up|
|Released||April 16, 2013|
|Format||Rhythmic contemporary radio|
|Nicki Minaj singles chronology|
|Lil Wayne singles chronology|
"High School" is a song by Trinidadian-American rapper and singer Nicki Minaj featuring American rapper Lil Wayne for Minaj's reissued second studio album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded – The Re-Up (2012). It was released on April 16, 2013, by Young Money, Cash Money, and Republic as the third single from the record. The song was written and produced by Boi-1da and T-Minus, with additional songwriting provided by Minaj and Lil Wayne. "High School" is a hip hop and R&B song that lyrically discusses adultery. The song peaked at number 64 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100, and additionally reached numbers 15 and 20 on the Billboard Hot Rap Songs and Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs component charts. Elsewhere, the track charted moderately throughout international singles charts, including number 31 on the UK Singles Chart. It is also the only song of Nicki Minaj to be released in 2013.
An accompanying music video was directed by Benny Boom, in which Minaj is depicted in the midst of an affair with Lil Wayne. The clip additionally includes footage of the "Pink Pill", a variation of the "Beats Pro" speaker created by Beats Electronics in collaboration with Minaj.
On November 29, Minaj opened a poll to determinate by the fans which song of the album should be the next single. "I'm Legit" won the poll with the most votes, while "High School" placed second, followed by "Up In Flames" third, "Hell Yeah" in fourth, and "I Endorse These Strippers" in fifth. A video was shot for the single on March 11. When the album dropped, fans noticed that "High School" reminded them of a mixtape song called "Hood Story". It was included on her first mixtape called Playtime is Over. Nicki recycled the verses "he said he came from Jamaica" and "he owned a couple of acres". At the end of Hood Story, Nicki whispered, "To Be Continued", but it was never finished until now. She indirectly confirmed this speculation by retweeting "HOOD STORY PART 2".
"High School" received mostly positive reviews from critics. Jeffries from AllMusic said that the song "restores faith with three-and-half minutes of driven, witty filth." He also noticed that "The Re-Up comes on with such an anti-Roman, back-to-basics attitude that it slowly slithers up to the Wayne track. Women in Hip Hop website gave a very positive review to the track saying that "aggressive voice and flow is a winning factor on this song, Lil Wayne did well and the catchy chorus helped round it out."
Bené Viera from VH1 Tuner appreciate Minaj's "storytelling capabilities." Jesal Padania from RapReviews commented negatively saying that "it's another song that doesn't really cut it," and it's "not compared to 'Roman Reloaded'."
In an interview in Dubai, Nicki confirmed that she will be filming a music video for "High School" or "I'm Legit" in 2013. In February 22, 2013, a fan asked Nicki on UStream when will the video be shot. She responded that she will shoot it in a few weeks, confirming the shoot in March 6. The video was shot on March 11 by Benny Boom in Los Angeles. The music video is confirmed to be released on April 2, 2013 globally, where Minaj will interview with MTV after its premiere and answer questions via Twitter with the hashtag #AskNicki. The video was released at 10.53AM on MTV and an Explicit Version of the video was released at 6:30PM the same day on VEVO. Minaj posted some pictures of the video shoot on March 12, 2013. On March 19, Minaj posted a behind the scenes video filmed and produced by Grizz Lee. She appears in a jacuzzi while wearing a neon green bikini. She changes multiple times and is carried around set by a bodyguard. Wayne and Birdman also appear in the video. He suggests that she films in her birthday suit. Nicki originally wanted him to play her husband in the clip. "I would've loved that," he tells her.
The video begins with an intro for the participants in the video, including Birdman and actor Emilio Rivera as "El Jefe" who played the "don" in the video. The video then cuts to Minaj walking poolside in a pink monokini in a beautiful sunlit scene. Lil Wayne and Birdman are shown pulling up to hand over a Louis Vuitton duffle bag to a mafia don. Minaj plays the mistress of the don. Wayne and Birdman then go inside the mafia leaders mansion to secure the deal, and as Minaj is seen walking down the stairs, Wayne appears to be gazed in awe at the sight of Minaj. Throughout the video, Minaj is seen in many revealing outfits, some include a yellow monokini, and lingerie. As the meeting is on, Minaj is seen meeting eyes with Wayne as she walks past. Wayne then raps his verse poolside as well, with video girls dancing beside him. Minaj and Wayne then have a seductive-like love scene where Minaj appears in lingerie, and Wayne is seen shirtless. Various clips of Minaj in a jacuzzi and backyard sporting a yellow dress are shown. Then as the mafia "don" has left the meeting, Birdman tells Wayne to go flirt with Minaj. More clips of Minaj's and Wayne love scene are shown. Minaj then disguises herself in a mask and black hoodie and robs the "don". Ending the video, Wayne is seen waving down a helicopter, as he and Minaj escape the scene. The pink pill appeared in the music video.
Minaj performed High School for the first time on her Pink Friday Reloaded Tour stop in Perth, Australia during a melody. The single was also performed on Jimmy Kimmel Live but was unaired due to timing. Minaj and Lil Wayne performed High School at the 2013 Billboard Awards. The performance controversially featured Minaj giving Wayne a lap dance.
Credits and personnel
- Recorded at: Studio Malibu, Malibu CA & The Hit Factory Criteria, Miami FL
- Mixed at: Studio Malibu, Malibu CA
- Mastered at: Chris Athens Masters, Austin TX
- Writers: Onika Maraj, Dwayne Carter, Matthew Samuels, Tyler Williams, Carly Jordan
- Producers: Boi-1da & T-Minus
- Recorded by: Ariel Chobaz & Michael "Banger" Cadahia
- Mixed by: Ariel Chobaz & Boi-1da
- Mastered by: Chris Athens
Charts and certifications
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||11|
|Belgium (Ultratop Flanders Urban)||12|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||9|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||81|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||79|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||83|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||34|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||31|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||64|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||20|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||22|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||April 16, 2013||Rhythmic contemporary radio|||
- Frank, Alex. "Newly Single Nicki Minaj on Feminism, Meek Mill, and Rapping at 50". Vogue.com. Condé Nast. Retrieved 8 April 2015.
- "Top 40/Rhythmic-Crossover > Future Releases". All Access Music Group. allaccess.com. Archived from the original on April 15, 2013. Retrieved October 15, 2013.
- The Re-Up single poll Archived 2012-11-27 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- Twitter: HOOD STORY PART 2 TEAS RT @GoAwayStupidHoe: yooo on High School you BLACKED @NICKIMINAJ ...mixtape teasss Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, the Re-Up review by David Jeffries from AllMusic. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- [REVIEW:] Nicki Minaj – "Pink Friday – Roman Reloaded: The RE-UP" Archived 2012-11-28 at the Wayback Machine. from Women in Hip Hop. Retrieved November 21, 2012
- "Dear Old Nicki" Finally Calls Back And Delivers The Re-Up by Bené Viera from VH1 Tuner. Retrieved November 21, 2012.
- Nicki Minaj :: Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded the Re-Up :: Cash Money Records review by Jesal 'Jay Soul' Padania from RapReviews. Retrieved November 22, 2012.
- YouTube: NICKI MINAJ @NICKIMINAJ on USTREAM 22 February 2013[permanent dead link] Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- Twitter: No but chose a treatment and a date :) ---> RT @_kevinminaj RT @StuntOnBitches: @NICKIMINAJ Have you shot high school yet?:') Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Twitter: Studio today, Video tomorrow :-) ------> RT @mylifeisNicki: @NICKIMINAJ talk to us. So, whatcha got planned for the day ? Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Retweeted by @NICKIMINAJ: High School video, hopefullyyyyyyy Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Rap-Up: Nicki Minaj Teases ‘High School’ Video with Bikini Pics Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Rap-Up.com: Behind the Video: Nicki Minaj f/ Lil Wayne – ‘High School’ Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- Twitter: On the set of High School ft. Lil Wayne pic.twitter.com/ip9GyrBzrI pic.twitter.com/nHpislbKao pic.twitter.com/w1AjZjl8KT pic.twitter.com/qxkUE0Hk4k Retrieved March 12, 2013.
- Digital booklet of Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
- "Australian-charts.com – Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne – High School". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne – High School" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne – High School" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Nicki Minaj Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Chart Track: Week 15, 2013". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Lescharts.com – Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne – High School" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne – High School". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Nicki Minaj feat. Lil Wayne – High School" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "Nicki Minaj Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Nicki Minaj Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "Nicki Minaj Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "American single certifications – Nicki Minaj – High School". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH