High Steward of Colchester
- "henceforth for ever there may be and shall be in the borough a High Steward to advise and direct the Mayor and Commonality in the chief business touching that borough which High Steward shall continue in the office of High Steward during his natural life."
The 1835 Municipal Corporation Act abolished most High Stewards and only allowed Colchester’s petition to retain a High Steward on condition that the wording of the Charter "...advise and direct..." be reduced to merely "...advise..."
The office was held by Professor Ivor Crewe until his resignation in July 2009 and remained vacant from 2009 to 2015.
Following his defeat at the 2015 UK General Election, former Colchester MP, Sir Bob Russell, was appointed to the position, which he currently holds. He held the seat for the Liberal Democrats for 18 years, from 1997 to 2015.
- The Earl of Holland, who was beheaded.
- The Duke of Albemarle, who lived in Jamaica, and never even visited the town.
- Charles Crickitt, who duelled with a local member of the clergy.
- John Pitt, 2nd Earl of Chatham 1807–1818
- John Round 1818–1860, former Tory MP for Ipswich and Maldon.
- John Gurdon Rebow, of Wivenhoe House, MP for Colchester from 1865. 1861–1870 
- George Henry Errington, banker and former High Sheriff of Essex 1870–1883 
- Francis Cowper, 7th Earl Cowper
- Viscount Cowdray 1910–1927, industrialist and former MP for Colchester
- Annie Lady Cowdray 1927–1932 in succession to her husband.
- Sir William Gurney Benham, three times mayor and local notable 1933–1944
- Field Marshal Wavell, Viceroy of India 1947–1950.
- Sir Percy Saunders CBE, businessman, former mayor and member of Colchester council for 30 years. 1950–1962.
- Cuthbert Alport, Baron Alport, former MP for Colchester. October 1967–1988. 21st High Steward
- Professor Ivor Crewe, 2003–2009. 22nd High Steward
- Sir Bob Russell, former MP for Colchester, 2015-present. 23rd High Steward
- "Council Meeting. Supplementary Information." (PDF). Colchester Borough Council. 14 October 2009. Retrieved 16 July 2010.
- "Colchester Borough Council, Governance Committee: Report on Appointment of High Steward of Colchester". colchester.cmis.uk.com. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "News". The Bury and Norwich Post: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, and Cambridge Advertiser. 7 October 1807.
- "Death of the High Steward of Colchester". Essex Standard. 9 May 1860.
- "The High Stewardship of Colchester". Essex Standard. 26 July 1861.
- "The High Stewardship of Colchester". Bury & Norwich Post. 15 November 1870. p. 3.
- "Obituary". The Times. 10 March 1883. p. 12.
- "Lord Cowper and the House of Lords". The Essex Standard, West Suffolk Gazette, and Eastern Counties' Advertiser. 23 August 1884. p. 7.
- "New High Steward Of Colchester. Annie Lady Cowdray Elected". The Times. 2 June 1927. p. 13.
- "News in Brief". The Times. 27 January 1933. p. 9.
- "Obituary: Sir Percy Saunders". The Times. 24 February 1962. p. 10.