High Voltage Software
|This article is outdated. (July 2014)|
|Independent video game developer|
|Founder||Kerry Ganofsky, CEO|
|Headquarters||Hoffman Estates, Illinois, United States|
|Owner||Kerry Ganofsky, CEO|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Red Eye Studios, FLAME-SIM|
High Voltage Software (HVS) is an American independent game development company located in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. Established in 1993, High Voltage Software is known for the creation of the major self-funded Wii titles The Conduit, and its sequel. It had previously been known for Tempest 2000 and Star Trek: Starfleet Academy for Sega's late-1990s video game consoles.
The company frequently works with a number of different publishers as each project ends, typically producing completely new and unrelated products back to back. Notable titles from the company include Hunter: The Reckoning (video game), The Conduit, Saints Row: Gat out of Hell, and LeVamp.
In 2008 interviews, High Voltage leadership expressed interest in improving the quality of contemporary third-party Wii games. Founder Kerry Ganofsky was quoted as stating "We believe that third-party developers need to step up to the plate and deliver. The Wii platform is capable of a lot more than what consumers have seen so far. We're hoping to raise a new bar." According to Chief Creative Officer Eric Nofsinger, "Our [High Voltage Software's] goal is to be the most technically innovative Wii developer on the planet."
Quantum3 is a Wii-specific game engine developed by HVS. The engine itself had been used in several previous titles made by the developer, but was heavily upgraded for higher performance on the Wii. This engine allows for "full 16-TEV stage material pipeline using up to eight texture sources and a host of innovative blend operations," and "allows the developer to create graphic effects normally seen on other consoles with vertex and pixel shaders." These effects include bump-mapping, reflection and refraction, light and shadow maps and projections, specular and Fresnel effects, emissive and iridescent materials, advanced alpha blends, gloss and detail mapping, motion blur, interactive water with complex surface effects, and animated textures, among other things. The Quantum3 engine also includes advanced artificial intelligence, allowing for NPCs and enemies in a game using the engine to possess "human-like behavior."
Le Vamp, the company’s first mobile title, earned an Editor's Choice selection by Apple. The company's second title, Zoombies, was also released for iOS devices. The company's last mobile game, Conduit HD (a mobile port of the original game, The Conduit) was released for Android devices in 2013, to some praise.
Since that time, High Voltage Software has been active in Generation 8 software, co-developing Injustice: Gods Among Us, Mortal Kombat X and Saint’s Row: Re-Elected – as well as primary development on Saints Row: Gat out of Hell. Recent titles have been larger in scope than previous titles by the company. This larger size is indicative of the sizable investment to develop on the newer consoles.
High Voltage Software remains focused on emerging technology and new markets. At E3 2015, High Voltage Software and Oculus VR announced the development of Damaged Core. A playable demo was available at the Oculus booth, featuring hands-on gameplay which showcased the first-person shooter genre on the Oculus hardware. The title is planned for release in 2016. 
The Conduit, in particular, was hailed as a break-out game for the Wii Console, and won numerous awards both prior to, and after, launch.  The game eventually spawned a sequel, Conduit 2, which was also released on the Wii. In 2009, High Voltage Software earned a top spot in Into the Pixel’s annual exhibition. The piece selected was titled “Ford Pursued,” by artist, Bob Nelson. 
Red Eye Studios
Red Eye Studios, a motion capture facility, is a wholly owned subsidiary of HVS. The 5000-square-foot space is located across the street from the main Hoffman Estates building, and utilizes Vicon T160 cameras.   Red Eye Studios has worked on both High Voltage Software products, as well as motion capture for television and movies. Some of its credits include: Spiderman 3, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Gnomeo & Juliet”, Human Weapon and multiple NBA titles.
FLAME-SIM is a training simulation software developed in 2007 which allows fire departments across the US and Canada to create virtual scenarios in which to train their incident commanders and firefighters. The real time, dynamic environment simulates the stress, obstacles and decision points that arise on the fireground in order to better prepare incident commanders.  Studies conducted on the effectiveness of the software have shown an improvement of test scores of 20% for incident commanders that trained using FLAME-SIM as opposed to traditional training methods. Additionally, firefighters and officers that trained with FLAME-SIM liked the training and felt more confident when acting as incident command. 
In 2014, High Voltage Software announced that a sister studio, HVS NOLA, would open in the New Orleans area. The company committed to the creation of 80 jobs over the course of three years. The studio opened in January 2015 featuring Altair Lane as the first employee. With the new studio, the company is actively focused on developing new technology and IP’s for the newest console generation.
- Matt Casamassina. "Exclusive First Look: The Conduit". IGN.
- Ross Miller. "The Conduit gameplay trailer released". Joystiq.
- "LeVamp for iPhone/iPad Reviews". Metacritic.
- IGN: The Conduit Preview
- IGN: The Conduit Preview
- Magrino, Tom (2008-07-07). "Q&A: Eric Nofsinger channels The Conduit". Gamespot. Retrieved 2008-07-07.
- "High Voltage Software’s Eric Nofsinger Explains How Freedom, Feedback and Fans Channel into The Conduit". GameCyte. 2008-10-06. Retrieved 2008-10-08.
- Casamassina, Matt (2008-04-17). "Exclusive First Look: The Conduit". IGN. Retrieved 2008-04-18.
- "LeVamp is an Editor's Choice Game". Aplle.
- Trevor Sheridan. "The 50 Best iOS Games Of 2013 – Complete List With Our Game Of The Year". Apple N Apps.
- Mike Fahey. "The Conduit Was an Average Wii Game. Now It's an Excellent Mobile FPS.". Kotaku.
- Christopher Grant. "Saints Row 4: Re-Elected coming to PS4 and Xbox One, $30 this January". Polygon.
- Sean Hollister. "I Used The Final Oculus Rift. Here Are The Games Worth Playing.". Gizmodo.
- Matt Casamassina. "IGN's Best of E3 Awards 2008". IGN.
- "Into the Pixel 2009 Collection". Into the Pixel.
- David Lapekas. "Red Eye Studios is the first North American Company to employ the latest Vicon camera system".
- Damon Brown (April 2003). "Video Games and Animation advance each other". Screen Magazine.
- Doug Seebach. "Canadian Department Thrilled with FLAME-SIM".
- Dr. Kurt Hall. "Effects of Simulation Training in the Fire Service". University of Texas Dallas.
- Jennifer Larino. "Illinois video game developer to open New Orleans studio, hailed as economic development win". NOLA.com and The Times-Picayune.
- "Mortal Kombat X for PC Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell for Xbox One Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Saints Row IV: Re-Elected for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Saints Row IV: Re-Elected for Xbox One Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Ben 10 Omniverse 2 for PlayStation 3 Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Injustice: Gods Among Us for PlayStation 4 Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2013-04-16.
- "Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition for PC Reviews - Metacritic". Metacritic. 2013-07-03.
- "Zoombies: Animales de la Muerte! for iOS (iPhone/iPad)". GameRankings. 2013-05-02. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Le Vamp for iOS (iPhone/iPad)". GameRankings. 2013-03-14. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Victorious: Taking the Lead for Wii". GameRankings. 2012-11-13. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Nickelodeon Dance 2 for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-11-06. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Toy Story Mania! for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Zone of the Enders HD Collection for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Kinect Star Wars for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-04-03. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Country Dance All Stars for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2012-03-27. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Country Dance 2 for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-11-01. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Country Dance for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Nicktoons MLB for Xbox 360". GameRankings. 2011-09-13. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Captain America: Super Soldier for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- "Conduit 2 for Wii". GameRankings. 2011-04-19. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Matt Casamassina. "Pre-E3 2009: Gladiator A.D. Revealed". IGN.
- "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer for Wii". GameRankings. 2010-11-11. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Tournament of Legends Reviews
- "High Voltage developing Wii version of Iron Man 2". GoNintendo.com. 2010-01-14. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- Iron Man 2 Reviews
- The Conduit Reviews
- Evasive Space Reviews
- High Voltage Hot Rod Show Reviews
- Gyrostarr Reviews
- V.I.P. Casino Blackjack Reviews
- Go, Diego, Go!: Safari Rescue Reviews
- America's Army: True Soldiers Reviews
- Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 Reviews
- Ben 10: Protector of Earth Reviews
- Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law Reviews
- Family Guy Reviews
- Blitz: Overtime Reviews
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy Reviews
- Codename: Kids Next Door: Operation V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E. Reviews
- Call of Duty 2: Big Red One Reviews
- 50 Cent: Bulletproof G Unit Edition Reviews
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reviews
- Zathura Reviews
- Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Reviews
- Duel Masters Reviews
- The Haunted Mansion Reviews
- NBA Inside Drive 2004 Reviews
- Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer Reviews
- Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward Reviews
- Hunter: The Reckoning Reviews
- Disney's Stitch: Experiment 626 Reviews
- NBA Inside Drive 2002 Reviews
- "Monster Jam: Maximum Destruction for PC". GameRankings. 2002-12-20. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance Reviews
- All-Star Baseball 2001 Reviews
- Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy Reviews
- "NBA Inside Drive 2000 for PC". GameRankings. 2000-08-17. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Lego Racers Reviews
- Paperboy Reviews
- NCAA Final Four 97 Reviews
- "NCAA Basketball Final Four 97 for PlayStation". GameRankings. 1997-03-31. Retrieved 2014-07-22.
- Tempest X3 Reviews
- Tempest 2000 Reviews
- NBA Hangtime Reviews
- NBA Jam Tournament Edition Reviews
- Ruiner Pinball Reviews
- White Men Can't Jump Reviews