Higher Institute for Applied Sciences and Technology
المعهد العالي للعلوم التطبيقية والتكنولوجيا
HIAST was established in 1983. Its aim is to qualify personnel in order to conduct scientific and technological research in all applied sciences and technology fields, so they can participate in the scientific and economic process in Syria. HIAST provides opportunities to make progress in applied research fields by joining courses to be awarded the degree of engineering Diploma, Master and Doctorate.
HIAST extends the scientific applications which it conducts in cooperation with several public and private bodies in Syria. It also executes joint projects at the regional and international levels to transfer technology and exchange experience.
HIAST awards the Engineering Diplomas (5 years undergraduate) in one of the following specialties:
- Telecommunication engineering.
- Electronic Systems engineering
- Mechatronic engineering.
- Informatics engineering.
- Material engineering.
- Aeronautics engineering (Aleppo)
HIAST offers also seven Master programs (2 years postgraduate, “by-research” academic masters):
- Communication Systems
- Control and Robotics
- Informatics and Decision Support Systems
- Big Data Systems
- Optical Science and Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering.
Besides, HIAST awards the PhD degree in Communications, Informatics, Control Systems and in Materials Science and Engineering.
In addition to undergraduate and postgraduate programs at HIAST, a continuous research and development activities are undertaken by HIAST engineers and researchers working in different departments, laboratories and technology centers that HIAST encloses. Some of these R&D activities are undertaken in collaboration with national and international universities, research centers & organizations.
In 2017 HIAST was ranked 1st in Syria and 4327th world ranking 
- Imad Abdel Ghani Sabouni - Minister of Communications 2007-
- Omran Kouba, mathematician - former director of HIAST (2002-2004), former director of the National center for curriculum development,(2014-2015).
- Nidal Chamoun - theoretical physicist
- "HIAST". Facebook. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- "Contact us". Higher Institute for Applied Sciences and Technology. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- http://www.webometrics.info/en/Asia/Syrian Arab Republic
- "Syrian Universities Ranking".
- "Omran Kouba".