Higher Walton, Lancashire
All Saints Church, Higher Walton
|Higher Walton shown within Lancashire|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
Higher Walton is a village in South Ribble, Lancashire, England. It is on the old road between Blackburn and Preston where it crosses the River Darwen. The road, at this point, is now part of the A675. Nearby places include Walton-le-Dale, Coupe Green, and Bamber Bridge.
The main road through the village has a number of shops, including a post office, a bicycle shop and takeaways. The village has two pubs - the Swan and the Mill Tavern. There is a church (All Saints, in the Blackburn diocese of the Church of England) and a primary school in the village.
The M6 motorway passes through the village, west of the centre, and crosses the River Darwen and A675 Higher Walton Road on a 474 feet (144 m)-long bridge that was built as part of the Preston Bypass and opened in 1958.
Higher Walton is in the county of Lancashire. It is part of the district of South Ribble, which is a borough formed in 1974 after the reorganisation of local government in the Local Government Act 1972. It had been part of the township of Walton-le-Dale. In 1877, a local board was formed for the township, which in 1894 became Walton le Dale Urban District.
- Blackburn Diocese: LEYLAND Deanery Archived 11 December 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- Harry L. Yeadon (2005). The Motorway Achievement: Building the Network: The North West of England. Chichester, West Sussex: Phillimore & Co. Ltd. p. 17.
- William Farrer & J Brownbill (editors). A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911): Townships: Walton-le-Dale. British History Online. pp. 289–300. Retrieved 2008-04-26.
- Higher Walton Books Archived 9 September 2006 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Walton le Dale UD Lancashire through time: Boundaries of Local Government District". A Vision of Britain Through Time. Retrieved 2008-04-25.[dead link]
- "Member and Committee Information". South Ribble Borough Council. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- "OBITUARY:Winifred Ferrier". The Independent. London.[dead link]
Media related to Higher Walton, Lancashire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Lancashire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|