Highland Township, Clarion County, Pennsylvania
|• Total||20.24 sq mi (52.42 km2)|
|• Land||19.91 sq mi (51.57 km2)|
|• Water||0.33 sq mi (0.85 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||25.36/sq mi (9.79/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
The township is located northeast of the center of Clarion County and is bordered by the Clarion River to the south and southeast and by its tributary Toby Creek to the west. The borough of Clarion, the county seat, borders the township to the southwest, across the Clarion River.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 20.2 square miles (52.4 km2), of which 19.9 square miles (51.6 km2) is land and 0.3 square miles (0.8 km2), or 1.62%, is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 633 people, 243 households, and 184 families residing in the township. The population density was 33.4 people per square mile (12.9/km2). There were 365 housing units at an average density of 19.3/sq mi (7.4/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.16% White, 0.95% African American, 0.47% Native American, 0.32% Asian, and 1.11% from two or more races.
There were 243 households, out of which 30.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.7% were married couples living together, 4.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.9% were non-families. 20.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 5.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.60 and the average family size was 3.03.
In the township the population was spread out, with 24.3% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 29.4% from 25 to 44, 25.9% from 45 to 64, and 14.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 104.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 104.7 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $37,188, and the median income for a family was $43,438. Males had a median income of $29,219 versus $21,607 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,468. About 4.4% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.2% of those under age 18 and 9.5% of those age 65 or over.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 13, 2017.
- Bureau, U. S. Census. "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. US Census Bureau. Retrieved 30 November 2019.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Highland township, Clarion County, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on April 27, 2015. Retrieved April 27, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Highland Township listing at Clarion County Association of Township Officials