Highland Township, Muskingum County, Ohio
|Highland Township, Muskingum County, Ohio|
Presbyterian church at Bloomfield
Location of Highland Township in Muskingum County
|• Total||25.2 sq mi (65.4 km2)|
|• Land||25.2 sq mi (65.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||1,089 ft (332 m)|
|• Density||33.6/sq mi (13.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086720|
Located on the eastern edge of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Monroe Township - north
- Knox Township, Guernsey County - northeast corner
- Adams Township, Guernsey County - east
- Westland Township, Guernsey County - southeast corner
- Union Township - south
- Perry Township - southwest corner
- Salem Township - west
- Adams Township - northwest corner
No municipalities are located in Highland Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Muskingum County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates[permanent dead link] Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Everhart, F.J. (1882). 1794. History of Muskingum County, Ohio, with illustrations and biographical sketches of prominent men and pioneers. F.J. Everhart & Co. p. 452.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary. Scott and Wright. p. 239. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.