Highlander: The Card Game
|Publisher(s)||La Montagnard Inc., SAEC Games, Thunder Castle Games|
|Players||2 (or more in some variations)|
|Playing time||Approx 20 min|
|Skill(s) required||Card playing
Basic Reading Ability
Highlander: The Card Game is a collectible card game based on the Highlander franchise of films and television series. Players build decks from a 400+ card set, taking on the persona of one of the Immortals depicted in the franchise. The core of the game takes the form of a sword duel with players alternately playing attacks and defenses. Other cards are played to affect the basic rules of the game. You win when your opponent is reduced to 0 ability or cannot avoid a "headshot" attack (i.e. decapitation, the only way to permanently kill an Immortal within the franchise canon). La Montagnard Inc. is the current publisher.
Nine attacks, one to each space on the attack grid.
Six blocks, four each covering four areas of the attack grid, two covering just the upper and lower rows.
Defense cards which can stay in play multiple turns, but must be discarded if the player wishes to attack.
- Events: happen once and are discarded.
- Edges: modify other cards they are played with; not considered "Special Cards" for game play purposes, multiple Edges may be played in a single turn.
- Situations: stay in play and change the basic rules of the game.
- Locations: like situations, but only one location can be in play at once.
- Allies: introduced in later expansions, earlier they were treated as situations.
- Illusions: introduced in later expansions; not considered "Special Cards" for game play purposes, and may only be played from an exertion.
- Plots: formerly a subset of Situations and Events in older versions, these also stay in play and change the basic rules of the game, often adding up for a greater effect.
- Persona cards: rare cards featuring established characters from the films and television series, allowing players to use persona-specific cards, or enhancing the abilities of standard persona cards. Most personas also grant a special ability to the player, such as dealing extra damage per attack or granting extra attacks per turn.
- Quickenings: rewards for winning tournaments and sponsored events, granting abilities to the user similar to those of certain personas.
- Weapon of Choice: allow players to use special weapon-specific cards.
- Watcher: affects the basic rules of the game.
|This collectible card game–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|