Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods
|Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods|
Cover art in all regions
|Developer(s)||Lore Design Limited|
Robert C. Dibley
|Platform(s)||Atari Jaguar CD|
|Release||October 30, 1995|
Highlander: The Last of the Macleods is an action-adventure video game developed by Lore Design Limited and published by Atari Corporation for the Atari Jaguar CD in October 30, 1995. It is based on Highlander: The Animated Series and was given the now defunct "Kids To Adults" (6+) rating by the Entertainment Software Rating Board. A PC version from Atari Interactive was announced but never released, thus it remained a Jaguar CD exclusive.
The gameplay is similar to that of Alone in the Dark or Resident Evil in that the player character moves through a world of pre-rendered 3D environments (viewed from fixed camera angles), battles monsters, collects items, and solves puzzles.
A reviewer for Next Generation praised the game's full motion video sequences and accessible exploration. He admitted that the game would not appeal to action fans due to the poor controls and "sluggish response time", but felt that for Jaguar CD owners with a liking for role-playing video games it was "as close to being a 'must have' as you can get" by simple virtue of being the only game in that vein for either the Jaguar CD or standalone Jaguar. He gave it three out of five stars.
Bonehead of GamePro instead judged it "one of the lowlights for Atari's new system." While he agreed that the full motion video sequences are good, he panned the game for its plodding pace, lack of sound effects, and particularly the poor combat: "Your character often turns the wrong way, smacking right into enemies, and his feeble punches and kicks look like a toddler's tiny tantrum. Highlander is high on frustration."
- "Atari Explorer Online Vol 04 Iss 09 / Jan 1, 96". January 1, 1996. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Players fulfill their destiny as The Highlander; Atari Corp. releases second CD title in one week for Jaguar CD". Business Wire. October 30, 1995. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- "Can PC Games Rescue Atari?". Electronic Gaming Monthly. Ziff Davis (80): 20. March 1996.
- "Jaguar Explorer Vol #1 Issue #2". January 20, 1998. Retrieved 2012-12-01.
- Games, Rovi. "Highlander - Overview". AllGame. Archived from the original on 14 November 2014. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- Guest (December 29, 1995). "Reviews - Highlander". The Electric Playground. Archived from the original on 21 April 2001. Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- Bonehead (January 1996). "ProReview: Highlander - The Animated Series". GamePro. No. 78. IDG. p. 106.
- Versionen, Andere (April 1996). "Spiele-Tests - Jaguar - Highlander". MAN!AC. No. 30. Cybermedia Verlagsgesellschaft mbH. p. 77.
- "Finals - The Only One - Highlander: The Last of the MacLeods CD". Next Generation. No. 12. Imagine Media. December 1995. p. 186.
- Lethaus, Mac (January 1996). "Jaguar: Highlander". ST-Computer. No. 116. falkemedia. p. 62.
- Abramson, Marc (January 1996). "Cahier Loisirs / Jaguar - C´est Noël !!!". ST Magazine (in French). No. 101. Pressimage. pp. 54–57.