Iowa Highway 152
|Length:||1.402 mi (2.256 km)|
|Existed:||1980 – 2014|
|West end:||I-35 / CR R35 near Osceola|
|East end:||US 69 at Osceola|
Iowa Highway 152 (Iowa 152) was a very short route which connected Interstate 35 (I-35) and U.S. Route 69 (US 69) near Osceola, Iowa. Through Iowa, I-35 and US 69 are mostly parallel routes; Iowa 152 connected the two routes at the narrowest location between them. The route was formed in 1980 from a portion of Clarke County Road R35 and did not undergone any changes in alignment while it was designated. The highway was relinquished to Clarke County and the City of Osceola in 2014.
Iowa 152 began at a diamond interchange along I-35 northwest of Osceola. CR R35 continued along the roadway to the north and west as Iowa 152 headed to the south-southeast. It passed country homes and wooded acreages along a two-lane road. Two-thirds mile (1.1 km) east of I-35, the highway curved to the south as it passed between farms. Just one-fifth mile (0.32 km) from its eastern end, it curved back to the east and crossed the city limits into Osceola. Iowa 152 ended at an intersection with US 69, which runs along Main Street in Osceola. The rural portion of the highway had an annual average daily traffic of 940 vehicles, while the portion within the city limits handled 1270 vehicles.
In 2014, the Iowa DOT negotiated the transfer of Iowa 152 to Clarke County and the City of Osceola. Pursuant to Section 306.8 of the Iowa Code, any time the a roadway is transferred from one jurisdiction to another, the highway either must be in good condition or the transferring agency must make a one-time payment to the accepting agencies for an amount which would pay for improvements to the road. In the case of Iowa 152, the Iowa DOT paid Clarke County $2.5 million, which included the payment to the City of Osceola.
The entire route was in Clarke County.
|Osceola Township||0.000||0.000||I-35 (Exit 36) / CR R35||Road continues as CR R35|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- "2011 Volume of Traffic on the Primary Road System of Iowa" (PDF). Iowa Department of Transportation. January 1, 2011. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Google (January 24, 2013). "Iowa Highway 152" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved January 24, 2013.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa Department of Transportation. 1981. Retrieved June 11, 2010.
- Iowa State Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Iowa Department of Transportation. 1980. Retrieved June 11, 2010.
- "§306.8". Iowa Code. Iowa General Assembly. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
- "Commission Minutes" (PDF). Iowa Transportation Commission. June 10, 2014: 18–19. Retrieved July 14, 2014.
Route map: Google