Location of Highwood, Montana
|• Total||4.5 sq mi (11.6 km2)|
|• Land||4.5 sq mi (11.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||3,386 ft (1,032 m)|
|• Density||39/sq mi (15.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0772406|
Highwood first had a post office in 1881, which closed and reopened a few times until 1886, after which it has remained open continuously. The community took its name from nearby Highwood Creek.
Highwood is located in southwestern Chouteau County at  It is in the valley of Highwood Creek, a tributary of the Missouri River, and is 29 miles (47 km) east of Great Falls and just northwest of the Highwood Mountains.(47.585542, -110.791244).
As of the census of 2000, there were 189 people, 66 households, and 50 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 42.2 people per square mile (16.3/km²). There were 73 housing units at an average density of 16.3 per square mile (6.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.35% White, 0.53% African American, 0.53% Asian, and 1.59% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.53% of the population.
There were 66 households out of which 45.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.2% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.2% were non-families. 16.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.36.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 31.7% under the age of 18, 4.8% from 18 to 24, 28.6% from 25 to 44, 22.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 105.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $44,375, and the median income for a family was $44,375. Males had a median income of $24,375 versus $22,857 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $14,457. About 11.5% of families and 8.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.7% of those under the age of eighteen and 10.7% of those sixty five or over.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Highwood CDP, Montana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 9, 2014.
- "Welcome to Highwood, Montana". Travel Montana, Russell Country. Retrieved 2008-02-17.
- "Origins of Names on Milwaukee". Roundup Record-Tribune & Winnett Times. August 22, 1940. p. 6. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Live Search Maps". Retrieved 2008-02-17. showing the location of the Highwood Mountains
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.