|Headquarters||London, England, UK|
|Revenue||US$2,341 million (2020)|
|US$566 million (2020)|
|US$430 million (2020)|
Hikma Pharmaceuticals plc is a British multinational pharmaceutical company with headquarters in London, UK that manufactures non-branded generic and in-licensed pharmaceutical products. It was founded by Samih Darwazah in Amman, Jordan in 1978. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The company was founded in 1978 by Samih Darwazah in Amman, Jordan. In August 1996 it became the first Arab company to export pharmaceutical products to the United States. It was first listed on the London Stock Exchange in 2005. Recent acquisitions include Instituto Biochimico Pavese Pharma in Italy in 2005 and Jazeera Pharmaceutical Industries in Saudi Arabia in 2006. In 2007 the Company went on to buy APM in Jordan, Alkan Pharma in Egypt, APM and Al Jazeera Pharma in Saudi Arabia, Thymoorgan in Germany, and Ribosepharm in Germany. It started to acquire Baxter Healthcare Corporation's US generic injectables business, Multi-Source Injectables or MSI, and completed the transaction in May 2011.
In October 2011, Hikma Pharmaceuticals entered the Moroccan market through the acquisition of Promopharm, the ninth largest pharmaceutical manufacturer in Morocco. Hikma also inaugurated the Al Dar Al Arabia Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Company in Algeria in 2011. The Algerian pharmaceutical company is Hikma’s second venture in Algeria after Hikma Pharma Algeria.
Hikma expanded its existing presence in the Egyptian market through the acquisition of the Egyptian Company for Pharmaceuticals and Chemical Industries (EPCI) in 2012. In September 2013, Hikma announced expansion into Sub-Saharan Africa with a 50:50 joint venture agreement with MIDROC Pharmaceuticals Limited, to enter the Ethiopian pharmaceutical market.
On 28 May 2014, Hikma Pharmaceuticals agreed to acquire assets from the U.S. generic injectable drugs business of Germany's Boehringer Ingelheim for up to $300 million, boosting its presence in the injected medicine market.
In June 2020, Boehringer announced it would sell off part of its stake in London-listed Hikma Pharmaceuticals (28 million out of a 40 million share holding) for around $800 million.
Hikma’s branded business segment comprises the development and sales of branded generics and in-licensed patented products in the MENA region. Hikma has 499 products in 1,256 dosage strengths. Top products include Actos, Amoclan, Blopress, Omnicef, Prograf, and Suprax.
Hikma sells specialized injectable products in the US, Europe and MENA including argatroban, fentanyl, phenylephrine, robaxin, and iron gluconate. The company sells 200 products in 379 dosage forms and strengths.
- "Preliminary Results 2020" (PDF). Hikma Pharmaceuticals. Retrieved 25 February 2021.
- "Our History". Hikma Pharmaceuticals. Archived from the original on 25 July 2010.
- "Economy - Sectoral Analysis". kinghussein.gov.jo. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Jordanian Pharma Major Buys Into An American Healthcare Startup". INC Arabia. 24 October 2016. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Hikma Annual Report 2007 Page 15" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 July 2008. Retrieved 14 September 2008.
- "Hikma Pharmaceuticals Plc Completes Acquisition of Baxter Healthcare Corporation's Multi-Source Injectables Business". Reuters. Retrieved 3 May 2011.
- Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC (3 October 2011). "Hikma Enters the Moroccan Market Through the Acquisition of 63.9% of Promopharm and... -- LONDON, October 3, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --". prnewswire.com. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Hikma expands in Algeria with Al Dar Al Arabia acquisition". Manufacturing Chemist. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Login - Evaluate". evaluatepharma.com. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Hikma expands in Egypt with EPCI acquisition". pmlive.com. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Hikma sets up JV to enter Ethiopia". PharmaTimes. 18 September 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Hikma buys Boehringer injectable drugs business for up to $300 mln". Reuters. 28 May 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2015.
- "Hikma's major investor to exit nearly 1 billion pound stake in drugmaker". 22 June 2020 – via uk.reuters.com.
- "Our global presence". Retrieved 18 April 2017.
- "Products". Hikma Pharmaceuticals. Retrieved 18 April 2017.