|Born||South Carolina, US|
|Occupation||Playwright, actress, producer, writer|
|Alma mater||The Juilliard School|
|Genres||dark comedy, docudrama/historic, drama|
|Notable works||"Alligator", "The Ghosts of Lote Bravo", "Dakota Atoll", "Mexico", "Blood & Dust", "American Girls"|
Hilary Bettis is a playwright, an actress, a producer, and a writer.
She is a two-time recipient of the Lecomte de Nouy from Lincoln Center and is a 2015 graduate of the Lila Acheson Wallace Playwright Fellowship at The Juilliard School. Bettis has received fellowships and residencies at the O’Neill National Playwrights Conference, New York Theatre Workshop, Sewanee Writers’ Conference, SPACE on Ryder Farm, Cape Cod Theatre Project, La Jolla Playhouse, New York Foundation for the Arts, Playwrights’ Week at The Lark, NNPN’s National Showcase of New Plays, Audrey Residency at New Georges, Two River Theater, Great Plains Theatre Conference, The Kennedy Center/NNPN MFA Workshop and a Sloan/Ensemble Studio Theatre Commission. Her plays, The Ghosts of Lote Bravo and The History of American Pornography made the 2015 Kilroy’s List as the most recommended new plays by a female writer. She has been a Runner-Up for the Alliance Theatre’s Kendeda Award, Nuestras Voces National Playwriting Competition, American Blues Theater’s Blue Ink Award and the Leah Ryan Prize.
The Ghosts of Lote Bravo will receive a National New Play Network Rolling World Premiere at the Unicorn Theatre in Kansas City, MO, Borderlands Theater in Tucson, Arizona and the Cleveland Public in Cleveland, OH.
As a screenwriter, Bettis has written and produced two short films, B’Hurst and The Iron Warehouse, which have screened at multiple film festivals across the globe. She has a TV series in development with Alyssa Milano and NBCUniversal, and another series in development with TV producer Bob Levy, who is known for the hit shows Gossip Girl and The Vampire Diaries.
|2001||Herman U.S.A.||Girl||Romantic Comedy Film|
|2002||Ultimate Revenge||Girl||TV Series|
|2002||The Violent Kind||Beth||Horror Film|
|2002||Bittersweet Lies||Brooke||Drama Film|
|2004||Running||Drug Addict||Drama Film|
|2009||B-Hurst||Sam||Kickstarter Short Drama|
- American Girls
- Dakota Atoll
- The Ghosts of Lote Bravo
- The History of American Pornography
- Blood & Dust
- The Mud Hole
- Two Lovers
- The Bronze Serpent
- The Iron Warehouse
- The Lost Coyote Cabaret
- "O'Neill Center's National Playwrights Conference Launches July 4 With Anne García-Romero's Provenance | Playbill". Playbill. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "THE LIST 2015 | The Kilroys". The Kilroys. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Smith, Kelundra. "Emerging Playwrights Get a Boost From the Kendeda Competition". AMERICAN THEATRE. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Unicorn Theatre's New Season to Include Two World Premieres". AMERICAN THEATRE. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- Editors, American Theatre. "Borderlands Theater Announces Season Led by Female Writers". AMERICAN THEATRE. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "Cleveland Public Theatre Announces Ambitious 2015--16 Season". AMERICAN THEATRE. Retrieved 2016-04-18.
- "About". Hilary Bettis | Playwright. Retrieved 2016-04-18.