|Born||Roger Michael Hilary Minster
21 March 1944
|Died||24 November 1999
Kensington and Chelsea, London, England
Barbara H. Cochran-Carr / Minster
Life and career
Born in Surrey, England, he is perhaps best known for playing General Erich Von Klinkerhoffen in the sitcom 'Allo 'Allo! between 1984 and 1992. Other credits include Crossroads; Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy; and a semi-regular role in Secret Army as Hauptmann Muller. Minster also had a brief period writing scripts with Kenneth Williams for the latter's International Cabaret television show.
In 1974, Minster appeared as Lieutenant Lightfoot in the Upstairs, Downstairs episode "Facing Fearful Odds." He also appeared twice in Doctor Who, as the Thal soldier Marat in Planet of the Daleks (1973) and as an unnamed Thal soldier in Genesis of the Daleks (1975). This makes him one of the few Doctor Who actors to have played two characters from the same alien race. He also had a major part in another episode of a successful science fiction series playing Yagon in "Achilles Heel,' an episode of The Tomorrow People, in 1978.
Minster provided the narration for the controversial Central television documentary The Men Who Killed Kennedy, which outlined various theories concerning the assassination of the American president John F. Kennedy.
Minster died from cancer in London on 24 November 1999. His body was buried at Putney Vale Cemetery. The epitaph on the gravestone reads:
The noblest of men. He brought laughter to a million hearts. Loving father to Leo, Quona, Jack and Lyall. Beloved partner to Nicola. So sorely missed. My wonder.
Confusion over date of birth
Sources differ as to the year of his birth. Dates given include 19 September 1939 and 21 March 1945. According to the BBC DVD Genesis of the Daleks, Hilary Minster was born in 1945. According to the births index, however, his birth was registered between April and June 1944.
- Battle of Britain (1969) – Pilot – Falke's Crew (uncredited)
- A Bridge Too Far (1977) – British Medical Officer
- The Godsend (1980) – Reporter
- Cry Freedom (1987) – 1st Passport Control officer
- The Girl in a Swing (1980) – Joe
- GRO Register of Births JUN 1944 2a 1045 SURREY S.W. – Roger M. H. Minster, mmn = Cochran-Carr
- GRO Register of Deaths: NOV 1999 B60B 5 KENSINGTON AND CHELSEA – Roger Michael H. Minster, DoB = 21 Mar 1944, aged 55
- Stevens, Christopher (2010). Born Brilliant: The Life Of Kenneth Williams. John Murray. p. 400. ISBN 1-84854-195-3.
- "MACE The Media Archive for Central England | Media clipHere and Now [Programme 186]". Macearchive.org. Retrieved 12 June 2012.
- "Index entry, birth registration for Minster Roger M.H". Transcription of centralised index for births, marriages and deaths in England and Wales. ONS. Retrieved 29 June 2016.