Hilda (comic book series)
The comic books are set in an fantastic world resembling a late 20th century Scandinavia and are drawing inspiration mainly from Scandinavian folklore and folk tales. The titular character is a small girl, who in the first two books lives with her mother in a cottage on a plain surrounded by mountains and forests, but later moves to the city Trollberg. Hilda’s world is inhabited by regular people and fantastical creatures like trolls, giants, elves and spirits. In the fourth book Hilda joins Trollberg's Sparrow Scouts.
- Hilda - The main heroine, a headstrong, smart, kind and curious girl, keen on exploring the world around her with an open mind. Even though she does not avoid other kids and interacts with her classmates and fellow scouts, she mostly keeps to herself and makes friends with fantastical creatures instead.
- Twig – Hilda’s faithful pet resembling a white fox with antlers.
- Hilda’s mum – Hilda’s mother is caring and supportive, but at times she can worry too much. When she was little she used to be a sparrow scout, a fictional Trolberg equivalent of the girl scouts.
|Year||Original Title||Writer and illustrator||Publisher||ISBN||Notes|
|2010||Hildafolk||Luke Pearson||Nobrow Press (London)||ISBN 978-1907704048||re-released as Hilda and the Troll in 2013 by Flying Eye Books (London), ISBN 978-1909263147|
|2010||Hilda and the Midnight Giant||Luke Pearson||Nobrow Press (London)||ISBN 978-1907704253|
|2012||Hilda and the Bird Parade||Luke Pearson||Nobrow Press (London)||ISBN 978-1909263062|
|2014||Hilda and the Black Hound||Luke Pearson||Flying Eye Books (London)||ISBN 978-1909263185|
|2016||Hilda and the Stone Forest||Luke Pearson||Flying Eye Books (London)||ISBN 978-1909263741|
Reception and awards
The series was highly praised by critics and fans alike. The review at Comics Alliance by Janelle Asselin, aside from drawing comparisons to highly-regarded kids-adventure classics like The Iron Giant, highlights the gender aspect of the series, writing: “The Hilda books are not gendered in any meaningful sense of the word, as the stories can appeal to all readers seeking storylines of tolerance, understanding, kindness, and acceptance.” The New York Times review by Pamela Paul of the volume Hilda and the Bird Parade draws comparisons between Pearson's fantastic worlds and the creations of Hayao Miyazaki, further stating: "In Hilda’s world, daytime is drawn in burnt orange, maroon and drab olive, and the night is an icy, eerie wash of dark teal and minty blue. Each landscape contains its own tantalizing visions." Alexandra Lange’s article about the whole series for The New Yorker also stresses the similarities with Miyazaki’s works and talks about the complexity of Pearson’s creations and their appeal to kids and adults alike: “Pearson’s aesthetic is sophisticated for the often candy-colored world of children’s animation, and the plots fit neatly into a number of present-day parenting preoccupations.”
In July 2013 Hilda and the Midnight Giant was featured in The Best 7 Books for Young Readers list released by Deutschlandfunk, the German public radio. The same year in November Hilda and the Bird Parade was included in the list of Notable Children’s Books of 2013 by New York Times
Awards and nominations
|2012||Hilda and the Midnight Giant||Won||British Comic Awards, Young People’s Comic Award|
|2013||Hilda and the Bird Parade||Nominated||Angoulême International Comics Festival, Sélection Jeunesse|
|2014||Hilda and the Midnight Giant||Won||Max & Moritz Prize, Best Comic Book for Kids|
|2014||Hilda and the Midnight Giant||Won||Gran Guinigi, Best Book Series|
|2014||Hilda and the Bird Parade||Nominated||Eisner Award, Best Publication for Kids (ages 8–12)|
|2014||Hilda and the Bird Parade||Nominated||Eisner Award, Best Writer/Artist|
|2017||Hilda and the Stone Forest||Nominated||Eisner Award, Best Publication for Kids (ages 9–12)|
- [Luke Pearson & George O'Connor discuss Hildafolk, Strand Bookstore, YouTube]
- Manga.tv (11 March 2015). "[Interview] Luke Pearson - Hilda". Retrieved 1 May 2018 – via YouTube.
- MAGNERON, Philippe. "Hilda (Pearson) - BD, informations, cotes". www.bedetheque.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Luke Pearson". 17 March 2018. Retrieved 1 May 2018 – via Wikipedia.
- "luke pearson - Adlibris". www.adlibris.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "luke pearson - Adlibris Bokhandel – Størst utvalg, fri frakt fra 299 kr". www.adlibris.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Zachoval, David. "Hilda - ComicsDB". comicsdb.cz. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Learning And Inspiring In Luke Pearson's 'Hilda' Comics". ComicsAlliance. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Paul, Pamela (10 April 2013). "'Hilda and the Bird Parade,' by Luke Pearson". Retrieved 1 May 2018 – via NYTimes.com.
- Lange, Alexandra (15 June 2016). "Here Comes Hilda". Retrieved 1 May 2018 – via www.newyorker.com.
- "- Die besten 7 Bücher für junge Leser". deutschlandfunk.de. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Notable Children's Books of 2013". 27 November 2013. Retrieved 1 May 2018 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Winners of the first British Comics Awards are announced". cbr.com. 19 November 2012. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- dessinée, Festival International de la bande. "Sélection Jeunesse - 45e Festival de la Bande Dessinée d'Angoulême". bdangouleme.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Erlangen, Kultur- und Freizeitamt. "Internationaler Comic-Salon Erlangen". 2014.comic-salon.de. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "ALBO D'ORO". LuccaCrea. Retrieved 14 Augost 2018. Check date values in:
- "2014 Eisner Awards: Full List Of Winners And Nominees". ComicsAlliance. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Schedeen, Jesse (2 May 2017). "The 2017 Eisner Award Nominees Revealed". ign.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Silvergate Media". silvergatemedia.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- "Silvergate's 'Hilda' Headed to Neflix". awn.com. Retrieved 1 May 2018.
- Pedersen, Erik (2018-06-12). "Netflix Renews 'B: The Beginning' For Season 2, Sets Premiere Date For New 'Hilda'". Deadline. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- The Hilda series at LibraryThing
- The Hilda series at GoodReads
- The Hilda series at Luke Pearson’s personal website
- The Hilda Series on Nobrow.net
This article needs additional or more specific categories. (May 2018)