Hill County, Texas
|Hill County, Texas|
Hill County Courthouse in downtown Hillsboro
Location in the U.S. state of Texas
Texas's location in the U.S.
|Named for||George Washington Hill|
|• Total||986 sq mi (2,554 km2)|
|• Land||959 sq mi (2,484 km2)|
|• Water||27 sq mi (70 km2), 2.7%|
|• Density||37/sq mi (14/km²)|
|Time zone||Central: UTC-6/-5|
Hill County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. As of the 2010 census, the population was 35,089. Its county seat is Hillsboro. The county is named for George Washington Hill, secretary of war and secretary of the navy under the Republic of Texas. Hill County is part of Central Texas, though not included in Texas Hill Country.
- Johnson County (north)
- Ellis County (northeast)
- Navarro County (east)
- Limestone County (southeast)
- McLennan County (south)
- Bosque County (west)
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 32,321 people, 12,204 households, and 8,725 families residing in the county. The population density was 34 people per square mile (13/km²). There were 14,624 housing units at an average density of 15 per square mile (6/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 84.16% White, 7.40% Black or African American, 0.44% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 6.02% from other races, and 1.71% from two or more races. 13.49% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 12,204 households out of which 30.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.50% were married couples living together, 10.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.50% were non-families. 24.80% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.58 and the average family size was 3.07.
In the county, the population was spread out with 25.90% under the age of 18, 8.50% from 18 to 24, 24.90% from 25 to 44, 23.40% from 45 to 64, and 17.30% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 96.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.70 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $31,600, and the median income for a family was $37,791. Males had a median income of $29,438 versus $20,765 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,514. About 11.90% of families and 15.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.70% of those under age 18 and 14.60% of those age 65 or over.
Serving Hill County exclusively are media outlets KHBR Radio - 1560 AM as well as THE REPORTER Newspaper. Hill County is currently listed as part of the Dallas-Fort Worth DMA. Local media outlets include: KDFW-TV, KXAS-TV, WFAA-TV, KTVT-TV, KERA-TV, KTXA-TV, KDFI-TV, KDAF-TV, and KFWD-TV. Although located in Central Texas and a neighboring county of the Waco metropolitan area. Meaning all of the Waco/Temple/Killeen market stations also provide coverage for Hill County. They include: KCEN-TV, KWTX-TV, KXXV-TV, KDYW, and KWKT-TV. Northland Cable Television continues to offer all of the above stations in Hillsboro.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved December 17, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on May 31, 2011. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- "County Totals Dataset: Population, Population Change and Estimated Components of Population Change: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- "Texas Almanac: Population History of Counties from 1850–2010" (PDF). Texas Almanac. Retrieved April 30, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Where Same-Sex Couples Live, June 26, 2015, retrieved July 6, 2015
||Johnson County||Ellis County|
|Bosque County||Navarro County|
|McLennan County||Limestone County|