Hillcrest Heights, Maryland
Hillcrest Heights, Maryland
Location of Hillcrest Heights, Maryland
|• Total||2.4 sq mi (6.3 km2)|
|• Land||2.4 sq mi (6.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||279 ft (85 m)|
|• Density||6,900/sq mi (2,600/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0597552|
Hillcrest Heights is an unincorporated area and census-designated place (CDP) in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States, with an African-American majority population. The population was 16,469 at the 2010 census. For mailing address purposes, it is part of the smaller community of Temple Hills and is also near Suitland. It is also the birthplace of Julian Peterson of the Detroit Lions linebackers.
Hillcrest Heights is located at (38.838212, -76.959795).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.4 square miles (6.2 km2), all of it land.
Hillcrest Heights borders the adjacent communities of Marlow Heights, Silver Hill, Suitland, and Glassmanor.
Hillcrest Heights consists mainly of single-family rambler homes and duplex homes built in the 1950s and 1960s. Iverson Mall, a midsize 2-level shopping mall which opened in 1967, serves shoppers from Maryland communities as well as from the Anacostia section of Washington, D.C. Adjacent to it is the older Marlow Heights shopping center. Stations of the Metrorail Green Line are nearby. Also nearby are the U.S. Census Bureau in Suitland and, farther out, Andrews Air Force Base and the Capital Beltway. The neighborhood is also convenient to Capitol Hill.
As of the census of 2000, there were 16,359 people, 6,752 households, and 4,206 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 6,724.2 people per square mile (2,599.3/km²). There were 7,190 housing units at an average density of 2,955.4 per square mile (1,142.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 4.58% White, 93.18% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.35% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.32% from other races, and 1.44% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.11% of the population.
There were 6,752 households out of which 28.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 29.2% were married couples living together, 27.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.7% were non-families. 32.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.42 and the average family size was 3.06.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 8.7% from 18 to 24, 30.3% from 25 to 44, 26.1% from 45 to 64, and 9.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 83.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 75.4 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,367, and the median income for a family was $52,573. Males had a median income of $34,198 versus $34,558 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $22,620. About 6.7% of families and 7.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.0% of those under age 18 and 11.5% of those age 65 or over.
Sections are served by Hillcrest Heights and Panorama elementary schools. All residents are zoned to Benjamin Stoddert Middle School. Most areas are zoned to Potomac High School with some zoned to Crossland High School. There is also a special education school, Jessie B. Mason Regional School, formerly Hillcrest Heights Special Center.
G. Gardner Shugart Middle School was previously in Hillcrest Heights. Shugart was scheduled to close in 2009. According to a Washington Post article written by Nelson Hernandez, Shugart, in which 35% of its students passed a State of Maryland mathematics proficiency test and which underwent a restructuring required by State of Maryland authorities, "is among the schools with long-standing academic problems".
Holy Family Catholic School, a Catholic pre-K to Grade 8 school, is in Hillcrest Heights. The school, on an 11-acre (4.5 ha) campus, opened in 1957.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Hillcrest Heights, Maryland
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Hillcrest Heights CDP, Maryland". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved December 20, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "District 4 Station - Oxon Hill." Prince George's County Police Department. Retrieved on September 9, 2018. " 5135 Indian Head Highway Oxon Hill, MD 20745". Beat map. See 2010 U.S. Census Map of Glassmanor CDP.
- "ANACOSTIA CARRIER ANNEX." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on September 11, 2018. "3719 BRANCH AVE TEMPLE HILLS, MD 20748-9993"
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP: Hillcrest Heights CDP, MD." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD MIDDLE SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "NEIGHBORHOOD HIGH SCHOOLS AND BOUNDARIES SCHOOL YEAR 2018-2019." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on August 29, 2018.
- "Department of Special Education." Prince George's County Public Schools. Retrieved on September 7, 2018. "Jessie B. Mason Regional School 2720 Iverson Street Temple Hills, Maryland 20748"
- "Schools." Prince George's County Public Schools. November 20, 2001. Retrieved on September 7, 2018.
- "Home." G. Gardner Shugart Middle School. April 24, 2001. Retrieved on August 30, 2018. "2000 Callaway Street Hillcrest Heights, Maryland 20748"
- "12 Pr. George's Schools Identified for Closing". Washington Post. 2009-01-22. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
- "Our History." Holy Family Catholic School. Retrieved on August 29, 2018. "Holy Family School, 2200 Calloway Street, Hillcrest Heights, MD, 20748, United States"