Hilliard Davidson High School
|Hilliard Davidson High School|
|5100 Davidson Road
Hilliard, Ohio 43026
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Hilliard City Schools|
|Teaching staff||98.17 (FTE)|
|Student to teacher ratio||17.42|
|Color(s)||Royal blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Hilliard Davidson High School is a public high school in the Hilliard City School District in Hilliard, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus, Ohio. It is the first of three high schools in the district, the other two being Hilliard Darby High School and Hilliard Bradley High School. The school is located at 5100 Davidson Road, just north of Hilliard Weaver Middle School. The mascot is the Wildcat, and the school's colors are royal blue and white.
Hilliard Davidson High School was originally called Hilliard High School. It was renamed in 1997 when Hilliard Darby High School opened.
The current principal is Aaron Cookson. The school also retains four assistant principals (one for each grade level), and five guidance counselors who each manage a percentage of the student population (determined by alphabetical placement).
- 1 Academics
- 2 Music
- 3 Theatre
- 4 Charitable events
- 5 Clubs and activities
- 6 Ohio High School Athletic Association state championships
- 7 Notable alumni
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Davidson offers Advanced Placement courses, as well as honors courses. The Advanced Placement courses are weighted into students' GPA's accordingly.
Hilliard Davidson has an e-campus system, to each his own on which students can take several classes that are offered by the district online. Hilliard Davidson also makes use of independent online study programs from Brigham Young University and Indiana University.
Freshman Focus Program
Every year, Hilliard Davidson freshmen are enrolled in a program in which they are adjusted into the high school environment. The purpose is to aid students with the transition between middle school and high school. The students give up half of their lunch Monday – Thursday for this class.
The music department at Davidson includes band, orchestra, and choir. The choir program consists of an audition-only senior choir, a concert choir, and two freshman-level choirs. The band program is home to four concert ensembles; the concert and concert b, symphonic bands, and the audition-only wind symphony. The orchestra program has three performing ensembles; the concert and symphony orchestras, and audition-only chamber orchestra.
The Hilliard Davidson Marching Band has achieved a superior rating from OMEA at Ohio State Marching Band Finals, the highest award that can be won, for almost 30 consecutive years.
The theatre program at Hilliard Davidson has been on the receiving end of several awards and accolades. The school's theatre troupe has also taken part in several national and international programs.
Kennedy Center Award
In 1999, Hilliard Davidson High School received the Creative Ticket National School of Distinction Award from the Kennedy Center. It was awarded to the theatre program through the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education. Hilliard Davidson's application video for this award may be viewed on YouTube. A documentary video of the school's trip to the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. may also be found on YouTube. A "Golden Ticket" plaque may be found in the high school's lobby.
Educational Theatre Association Hall of Fame
Hilliard Davidson High School and its theatre faculty has received several awards from the Ohio Educational Theatre Association and The Educational Theatre Association. Hilliard High School has twice been named an Outstanding Theatre School by ETA in 1996 and 2000. This honor is given to schools theatre programs that work to produce quality theatre. Additionally, drama director Robin Brenneman was inducted into the Ohio Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame in 2012. It is bestowed upon individuals who have devoted themselves to promoting educational theatre and who have given 20 years or more to said cause. Technical Director Diana Evans Vance was also inducted into the Ohio Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame in 2013, as well as receiving recognition by receiving Columbus Theatre Roundtable's People Who Make a Difference award, Ohio Theatre Alliance's Lifetime Achievement Award and the Educational Theatre Association's Hall of Fame award in 1996.
Edinburgh Fringe Festival
In the summer of 2007, Hilliard Davidson High School attended the Edinburgh Fringe Festival through the American High School Theatre Festival. The Edinburgh Fringe is an international festival featuring performances from an enormous variety of groups and performers. Davidson brought their production of School House Rock to the Fringe Festival, performing in Blueside Venue 103. The production was detailed on the Edinburgh Fringe website. Hilliard Davidson's 2002 application video may be found on YouTube. Their 2003 application video may also be found on YouTube. Additionally, Hilliard Davidson was invited to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for the summers of 1998, 2010, and 2014.
Invisible Children's Concert
On November 28, 2007, the Chamber Orchestra at Hilliard Davidson High School held a benefit concert for the children of Uganda, who are suffering from a twenty-year war that has ravaged their country. The concert was free of cost, but donations could be made to benefit the children through the care of Invisible Children Inc. The Chamber Orchestra performed songs from several classic rock bands, including the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors. The concert featured several videos from Invisible Children. The concert was featured in the article "Dancer finds way to help Ugandan children" from ThisWeek Community Newspapers on November 27, 2007. Because of the success of the Invisible Children's Concert in 2007, Davidson hosted their second concert on March 19, 2009 and most recently on March 17, 2010.
Clubs and activities
Ohio High School Athletic Association state championships
- Boys' Volleyball – 1991 
- Boys' Cross Country – 2002 
- Girls' Cross Country – 2002 
- Football – 2006, 2009 
- Boys' Soccer – 2007 
- Alexa Bliss - professional wrestler
- Nate Ebner – safety for the New England Patriots of the National Football League
- Mike Furrey – wide receiver, Cleveland Browns
- John Konesky – lead electric guitar, Tenacious D
- Tim Skipper – lead singer, House of Heroes
- Hilliard City School District
- Hilliard Darby High School
- Hilliard Bradley High School
- Hilliard Memorial Middle School
- Hilliard Weaver Middle School
- Hilliard Heritage Middle School
- Hilliard, Ohio
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Archived from the original on November 3, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on June 20, 2010. Retrieved February 17, 2010.
- "Search for Public Schools – School Detail for Hilliard Davidson High School". ed.gov. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Hilliard City Schools". hilliardschools.org. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- Kennedy Center. "Kennedy Center National Creative Ticket Award". Archived from the original on October 9, 2007. Retrieved December 13, 2007.
- "2000 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS Kennedy Center Application Video". YouTube. November 18, 2007. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "2000 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS Kennedy Center Trip Documentary". YouTube. November 19, 2007. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- www.schooltheatre.org. Educational Theatre Association. Missing or empty
- http://ohedta.org. Ohio Educational Theatre Association. Missing or empty
|title=(help); External link in
- Edinburgh Fringe. "Edinburgh Fringe Festival" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on March 15, 2017. Retrieved December 13, 2007.
- http://www.edfringe.com/shows/detail.php?action=shows&id=5492/. Retrieved December 12, 2007. Missing or empty
- "2002 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS AHSTF Application Video". YouTube. November 18, 2007. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "2003 SD Sample: Hilliard Davidson HS AHSTF Application Video". YouTube. November 18, 2007. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "ThisWeek Community News – Local News & Sports for Central Ohio". columbuscommunitynewspapernetwork.com. Retrieved March 2, 2015.
- "Executive Board Pre-File Application". OhioJCL.org – June 2007. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on June 17, 2007. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
- "OJCL Constitution". OhioJCL.org – July 2002. Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 2010. Archived from the original on July 21, 2002. Retrieved August 16, 2010.
... by paying both OJCL annual chapter dues and any annual chapter membership dues required by NJCL.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved November 16, 2007.
- Ward, Allison (April 11, 2017). "Davidson grad isn't wrestling with success". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Wolf, Daniel (May 14, 2009). "Mike Furrey Is Versatile and a Team Player". Bleacher Report. Retrieved February 23, 2010.
- Beck, Aaron (February 23, 2010). "Destiny lands Ohioans jobs with Tenacious D". The Columbus Dispatch. Retrieved March 11, 2007.[dead link]