Hills of Hate
|Hills of Hate|
|Directed by||Raymond Longford|
|Written by||E. V. Timms|
|Based on||novel by E. V. Timms|
A Master Picture
|27 November 1926|
A feud exists between two outback families, the Blakes and the Ridgeways, caused by Sam Ridgeway having married a woman Jim Blake was in love with. The feud goes on for over thirty years. Blake's eldest son, also called Jim (Gordon Collingridge) returns from being away for ten years and falls in love with Ridgeway's daughter Ellen (Dorothy Gordon). Matters are complicated by Sam Ridgeway's villainous overseer, Cummins (Big Bill Wilson).
- Dorothy Gordon as Ellen Ridgeway
- Gordon Collingridge as Jim Blake
- Big Bill Wilson as Black Joe Cummins
- Clifford Toone as Jim Blake Snr
- Kathleen Wilson as Peggy Blake
- Stanley Lonsdale as Stanley Ridgeway
E. V. Timms' original novel was published in 1925.
The female lead, Dorothy Gordon, had worked in Hollywood for six years and did art direction on For the Term of His Natural Life (1927). She and later became a radio commentator and newspaper columnist under the name of Andrea.
Raymond Longford's son Victor served as associate producer.
The Northern Times said Collingridge played his role "with a skill remarkable in such a young actor, whilst Dorothy Gordon's portrayal is a powerfully competing proof of her ability."
The film was not a success at the box office – although it was screening in cinemas as late as 1933 – and it was several years before Longford managed to direct another feature, The Man They Could Not Hang (1934). This turned out to be his last movie as director.
- "Advertising.". The Sydney Morning Herald. National Library of Australia. 27 November 1926. p. 1. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- Andrew Pike and Ross Cooper, Australian Film 1900–1977: A Guide to Feature Film Production, Melbourne: Oxford University Press, 1998, p136
- "BRAINS AND BEAUTY." Cairns Post 20 Jul 1926: 9 accessed 7 December 2011
- "ANDREA: Darlings l've had a ball!." The Australian Women's Weekly 8 Oct 1975: 67 accessed 7 December 2011
- Dorothy Gordon Biography at Australian Dictionary of Biography
- "MASTER PICTURE NEWS." Queanbeyan-Canberra Advocate 2 Sep 1926: 5 accessed 7 December 2011
- "Raymond Longford", Cinema Papers, January 1974 p51
- "Master Picture News.". The Northern Times. Carnarvon, WA: National Library of Australia. 17 September 1926. p. 3. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Advertising.". The Delegate Argus. NSW: National Library of Australia. 23 March 1933. p. 2. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- Hills of Hate at the Internet Movie Database
- Hills of Hate at National Film and Sound Archive
- The Hills of Hate novel at AustLit
- The Hills of Hate film at AustLit
- Complete abridged version of original story at Australian Woman's Weekly in 1936
- Serialised version of story from 1927 – 29 Oct, 5 Nov, 19 Nov, 26Nov, 3 Dec, 10 Dec, 17 Dec, 24 Dec, 31 Dec