|Owner(s)||Pamplin Media Group|
|Managing editors||Nancy Townsley|
The Hillsboro Tribune is a weekly newspaper printed on Fridays that covers the city of Hillsboro in the U.S. state of Oregon. Owned by the Pamplin Media Group, the newspaper published its first issue on September 7, 2012. It is Pamplin's first new paper since 2001, when the company started the Portland Tribune, and was designed to complement its other local papers in the Portland metropolitan area. The Tribune competes with the twice-weekly Hillsboro Argus, which is owned by Advance Publications, and which also publishes The Oregonian that competes with the Portland Tribune. John Schrag served as the first publisher, with Kevin Harden, Jim Redden, and Jennifer Anderson as the news team. Pamplin is distributing the paper for free at newsstands in the Hillsboro and Aloha areas, as well as via home delivery with a subscription.
Pamplin announced the launch of the new newspaper on August 21, 2012, in the News-Times of Forest Grove. Hillsboro last had two newspapers in 1932, at which time the owner of the Argus purchased the Washington Independent and merged the papers. The Tribune was originally published biweekly, but at the time of its launch its owners were already hoping to expand to weekly publication, and this was goal achieved in March 2013.
The first edition of the newspaper published on Friday, September 7, 2012, included stories covering the planned Hillsboro baseball stadium, STEM programs (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) in local schools, and exploring Hillsboro and the county's economic impact upon the larger metropolitan area. The cover story dealt with money the State of Oregon owed to Washington County being held-up by a potential glitch in a law. This inaugural edition was mailed to 7,000 residents, with other copies available at green newspaper boxes in the local area, primarily at businesses.
The next month, publishers for the Argus launched the Forest Grove Leader to compete with the News-Times in neighboring Forest Grove, which was published by the same company as the Tribune. The publisher for the Tribune and News-Times stated he thought the new paper in Forest Grove was retaliation for the launch of the Tribune. The initial period of biweekly publication ended in March 2013, when the paper became a weekly. At the same time, original editor Kevin Harden left for a different position with Pamplin Media Group, the Tribune's owner, and Nancy Townsley became the paper's managing editor. The Tribune won three awards in its category in 2014 from the Society of Professional Journalists' Northwest Excellence in Journalism contest for its 2013 coverage. Nikki DeBuse became the paper's publisher on February 1, 2016, succeeding John Schrag.
- Manning, Rob (August 22, 2012). "Pamplin Media Launches Hillsboro Newspaper". News: Economy. Oregon Public Broadcasting.
- Culverwell, Wendy (August 22, 2012). "Pamplin to launch newspaper in Hillsboro". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Njus, Elliot (August 22, 2012). "Willamette Week owners, Pamplin Media Group to add newspaper properties". The Oregonian. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Pamplin Media Group launches new Hillsboro newspaper". Portland Tribune. Pamplin Media Group. August 21, 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- Culverwell, Wendy (August 24, 2012). "Pamplin taps into growing Hillsboro market". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Pamplin Media Group adds Hillsboro paper". Lake Oswego Review. Pamplin Media Group. August 29, 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- "Pamplin Media Launches Hillsboro Newspaper". Daily Astorian. Oregon Public Broadcasting. August 22, 2012. Retrieved 3 September 2012.
- Turnbull, George Stanley. History of Oregon Newspapers. Binfords & Mort: Portland, Or. (1939). pp. 212–218.
- Staff (March 8, 2013). "Once a week, but never weakly". Hillsboro Tribune. p. A7. Retrieved 10 March 2013.
- Redden, Jim (September 5, 2012). "Survey: City hits home run". Hillsboro Tribune. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Anderson, Jennifer (September 5, 2012). "STEM focus gives school new tools". Hillsboro Tribune. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Jim, Redden (September 5, 2012). "On the cutting edge". Hillsboro Tribune. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Redden, Jim (September 7, 2012). "State stiffs county on tax funds". Hillsboro Tribune. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- "Wheres the Tribune?". Hillsboro Tribune. September 6, 2012. Retrieved 7 September 2012.
- Gaston, Christian (October 9, 2012). "In brief: Hello Leader, goodbye Courier". News-Times.
- Mesh, Aaron (October 3, 2012). "The Oregonian Confirms It Will Launch Leader in Forest Grove". Willamette Week.
- Mesh, Aaron (September 25, 2012). "The Oregonian, Pamplin Group Are Talking Newspaper War Over Forest Grove". Willamette Week.
- "SPJ honors News-Times, Hillsboro Tribune". Hillsboro Tribune. May 23, 2014. Retrieved 26 May 2014.
- Townsley, Nancy (February 5, 2016). "New publisher saw 'something special' in western Washington County towns". Hillsboro Tribune. p. A1. Retrieved 6 February 2016.