Hilton Portland Hotel
|Hilton Portland & Executive Tower|
Location within Portland, Oregon
|Hotel chain||Hilton Worldwide|
|Address||921 SW 6th Avenue
|Opening||1963 / 2002|
|Height||73.46 m (241.0 ft) (1962 tower)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
Zimmer Gunsul Frasca
|Main contractor||Andersen - Westfall|
|Number of rooms||782|
|Number of restaurants||HopCity Tavern
Porto Terra Tuscan Grill & Bar
Porto Terra Lounge
The Hilton Portland & Executive Tower is a hotel located in Portland, Oregon. The complex has two towers, with the original 22 story, 240-foot (73 m) tower completed in 1962. The second tower with 20 floors was completed in 2002 across the street to the northeast. The hotel was the tallest building in the city for three years until surpassed by the Harrison West Condominium Tower in 1965.
Contractors Andersen - Westfall built the original tower. A region-wide strike by the Carpenters Union paused the project in April 1962 when union workers went on strike and picketed the construction site. When the top full-floor was finished in August 1962, the building became the tallest in Portland and overtaking Public Service Building. At that point the structure stood at 229 feet (70 m) tall at was scheduled to top out at 249 feet (76 m) when the penthouse was added. The $12.5 million hotel was dedicated in May 1963 with a ceremony featuring Conrad Hilton, U.S. Senator Mark O. Hatfield, and Mayor Terry Schrunk. At opening, it had 500 rooms, 5 restaurants and bars, 9 meeting rooms, and was designed as a convention center. The Executive Tower was completed in 2002 and sits kitty-corner to the original structure.
In 2005, Hilton Hotels sold the building to Cornerstone Real Estate Advisors LLC for $83.9 million. Cornerstone sold the hotel in 2012 for about $100 million to Walton Street Capital and Lodging Capital Partners. In 2015, Walton Street sold the complex for $270 million to Brookfield Property Partners and an unnamed partner.
- Hilton Portland Hotel at Emporis
- Hilton Executive Tower at Emporis
- "Hilton Portland Hotel". SkyscraperPage.
- "Hilton Executive Tower". SkyscraperPage.
- "Firm Gives Low Plaza Job Bid". The Oregonian. March 17, 1961. p. 44.
- Edwards, Herman (April 17, 1962). "Statewide Picketing In Effect". The Oregonian. p. 1.
- "Hilton Hotel Now Tops Portland Skyline". The Oregonian. August 15, 1962. p. 1.
- Lattie, James (May 9, 1963). "Portland Hilton Marks Start Of Major Core Area Construction Projects". The Oregonian. p. 69.
- Bell, Jon (January 21, 2016). "Details emerge of $270M sale of high-profile downtown Portland hotel - Portland Business Journal". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Culverwell, Wendy (November 5, 2012). "Portland Hilton sold for $100M plus - Portland Business Journal". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Stevens, Suzanne (February 24, 2012). "List: Top Portland hotels". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved February 24, 2012.
- Lattie, James (May 9, 1963). "Portland Hilton Currently Holds Title As Tallest Building". The Oregonian. p. H13.