Him (Rupert Holmes song)
|Single by Rupert Holmes|
|from the album Partners in Crime|
|B-side||"Get Outta Yourself"|
|Genre||Pop rock, soft rock|
|Length||4:04 (LP version)|
3:36 (7" version)
|Producer(s)||Rupert Holmes, Jim Boyer|
|Rupert Holmes singles chronology|
The song peaked at number six on the US Billboard Hot 100 on March 29, 1980 and remained at that position for two weeks. It was Holmes' biggest Adult Contemporary hit, peaking at number four in both the United States and Canada.
The song is sung from the point of view of a man who, when he discovers a pack of cigarettes that do not belong to him, suspects that the woman in his life is cheating on him. He has no idea who this other man may be, but he decides he must confront her; he expects her to say that the other man is "just a friend", and plans to tell her bluntly, "It's me or it's him."
In 1980, Holmes re-recorded the song in French under the title "Lui" (MCA 41252) that was backed with an instrumental version of "Guitars" (his previous album had included an English vocal version of the song). The single was released only in Canada by MCA Records Canada. This French version of "Him" ("Lui") has never been released on any vinyl or CD album.
- Rupert Holmes – vocals, keyboards, synthesizer, saxophone
- Dean Bailin – guitar
- Frank Gravis – bass
- Leo Adamian – drums
- Peter Gordon – French horn
- Wayne Andre – trombone
- Dave Taylor – bass trombone
- Victoria – percussion
- Gene Orloff Section – strings
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Rupert Holmes - 45 Single (Vinyl) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2018-09-27.
- "Rupert Holmes - Partners In Crime (Vinyl, LP, Album) at Discogs". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2014-06-05.
- "Radio2 top 30: 15 oktober 2016 | Radio2". Top30-2.radio2.be. Archived from the original on 2012-04-09. Retrieved 2016-10-16.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1980/Top 100 Songs of 1980". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-16.