Hima Cement Limited
|Industry||Manufacture & Distribution of Cement|
Number of employees
The main factories of the company are located in the town of Hima, in Kasese District, Western Uganda. This location lies approximately 29 kilometres (18 mi), by road, north of Kasese, the nearest large town.
Hima is located approximately 334 kilometres (208 mi), by road, west of Kampala, the capital of Uganda and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the main factory are:+0° 17' 21.00"N, +30° 10' 45.00"E (Latitude:0.289167; Longitude:30.179167).
Hima Cement Limited is the second-largest manufacturer of cement in Uganda, producing an estimated 850,000 metric tonnes annually. The leading cement manufacturer in the country, Tororo Cement Limited, has a production capacity of over 1 million metric tonnes annually.
The cement produced by the company is marketed to the Eastern African countries of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan. In addition to the factories in Hima, the company maintains a corporate office on Twed Towers, Kafu Road , in Kampala and two warehouses, one in Kampala's Industrial Area and the other in the eastern border town of Tororo. Hima Cement Limited also owns a limestone quarry at Dura in Kamwenge District, which supplies the limestone used in the manufacturing of the cement. The quarry is estimated to contain enough limestone to sustain current production capacity until 2036.
In 1994 parastatal, formerly known as Uganda Cement Industries was privatized by the Government of Uganda. It was split into two entities, (a) Tororo Cement and (b) Hima Cement. The two companies were acquired by different investors. Tororo Cement eventually became Tororo Cement Limited. In 1999, the French conglomerate, LaFarge, acquired 100% shareholding in Hima Cement and re-branded the company into Hima Cement Limited. Production capacity at the company's factories has steadily increased from the 20,000 metric tonnes in 1994 to the present 850,000 in 2011.
- Ladu, Ismail Musa (30 March 2014). "Cement Prices Set To Increase". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Hima And Kasese With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Hima And Kampala With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Google (5 July 2015). "Location of Hima Cement Limited Factory At Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Muhumza, Mark (28 June 2010). "Uganda: US$108 Million Hima Cement Plant for October". East African Business Week via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Tororo Cement Plans US$50 Million Expansion". Worldcement.com. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Mafaranga, Hope (15 August 2011). "Quarry Boosts Hima Cement Output". New Vision. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "History of Hima Cement Limited". Hima Cement Limited. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "31 December 2012 Annual Financial Report" (PDF). Bamburi Cement Limited. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Location of Hima Cement Limited At Google Maps
- Website of Hima Cement Limited
- Website of Tororo Cement Limited