Hima Cement Limited
|Industry||Manufacture & distribution of cement|
Number of employees
The main factories of the company are located in Hima, in Kasese District in the Western Region. This is approximately 29 kilometres (18 mi), by road, north of Kasese, the nearest large town. Hima is approximately 334 kilometres (208 mi), by road, west of Kampala, the capital and largest city of Uganda. The coordinates of the main factory are +0° 17' 21.00"N, +30° 10' 45.00"E (Latitude:0.289167; Longitude:30.179167).
HCL is the second-largest manufacturer of cement in Uganda, producing an estimated 850,000 metric tonnes annually. The largest cement manufacturer in the country, Tororo Cement Limited, has a production capacity of over 1 million metric tonnes annually.
In addition to the factories in Hima, the company maintains a corporate office on Twed Towers, Kafu Road, in Kampala and two warehouses, one in Kampala's industrial area and the other in the eastern border town of Tororo. HCL also owns a limestone quarry at Dura in the Kamwenge District, which supplies the limestone used in the manufacturing of the cement. The quarry is estimated to contain enough limestone to sustain current production capacity until 2036.
In 1994, the parastatal formerly known as Uganda Cement Industries was privatized by the government of Uganda. It was split into Tororo Cement and Hima Cement. The two companies were acquired by different investors. Tororo Cement eventually became Tororo Cement Limited. In 1999, the French conglomerate LaFarge acquired 100 percent shareholding in Hima Cement and re-branded the company into Hima Cement Limited.
Production capacity at the HCL's factories has increased steadily from the 20,000 metric tonnes in 1994 to 850,000 in 2011.
HCL is a subsidiary (70 percent) of Bamburi Cement Limited based in Kenya. Bamburi Cement Limited is itself wholly owned by LaFarge, the construction materials manufacturer based in France.
- Ladu, Ismail Musa (30 March 2014). "Cement Prices Set To Increase". Daily Monitor. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Map Showing Hima And Kasese With Distance Marker". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Road Distance Between Hima And Kampala With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Google (5 July 2015). "Location of Hima Cement Limited Factory at Google Maps" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Muhumza, Mark (28 June 2010). "Uganda: US$108 Million Hima Cement Plant for October". East African Business Week via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "Tororo Cement Plans US$50 Million Expansion". Worldcement.com. 8 March 2010. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Mafaranga, Hope (15 August 2011). "Quarry Boosts Hima Cement Output". New Vision. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "History of Hima Cement Limited". Hima Cement Limited. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- "31 December 2012 Annual Financial Report" (PDF). Bamburi Cement Limited. Retrieved 1 May 2014.
- Location of Hima Cement Limited At Google Maps
- Website of Hima Cement Limited
- Website of Tororo Cement Limited