Initially,[when?]Tibet Airlines and the Himalaya Infrastructure Fund had stakes in the airline alongside Yeti World Investment, an affiliate of Yeti Airlines Group.
In order to obtain its air operator's certificate, Himalaya Airlines leased aircraft from Yeti Airlines and conducted its first proving flights in February 2015. Launch plans were delayed by the April 2015 Nepal earthquake. The airline inducted its first aircraft, an Airbus A320, on March 9 2016. Himalaya Airlines launched operations on May 31 2016 with flights between Kathmandu and Doha. Flights from Kathmandu to Colombo started in October, marking the resumption of scheduled flights between Nepal and Sri Lanka after 28 years but suspended the flights.
Tibet Airlines holds a 49% stake in Himalaya Airlines, while Yeti World Investment (an affiliate of Yeti Airlines Group) owns the remaining 51%. The airline is headquartered in Gairidhara, Kathmandu, the capital of Nepal. Ang Tshiring Sherpa is the chairman, while Zhao Guo Qiang serves as president of the company.