History and profile
The magazine was established in 1929. The first editor-in-chief was the English geographer Kenneth Mason. He was a surveyor operating from Shimla. Mason later continued editing from England. Subsequent editors were C.W.F. Noyce, H.W. Tobin, and Trevor Braham. In 1960, K. Biswas took over as the first Indian editor. From 1969 to 1979 and from 1987 to 1989 Soli S. Mehta was editor. Since 1990, Harish Kapadia is editor.
The following persons have been editor-in-chief of the magazine:
- Kenneth Mason (1929–1940)
- C.W.F. Noyce (1946)
- H.W. Tobin (1947–1957)
- Trevor H. Braham (1958–1959)
- Dr. K. Biswas (1960–1968)
- Soli S. Mehta (1969–1979 and 1987–1989)
- Harish Kapadia (1980–1986, 1990–present)
- Lorna Siggins (24 November 2011). "Himalayan climber to give lecture". The Irish Times. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- Jurgalski, Eberhard (2008). "History of chronicles", 8000ers.com. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- The Himalayan Journal, Volume 66, Himalayan Club, OUP India. Oxford University Press (2011). Retrieved 24 March 2015.