Himex is a Mount Everest guiding company. It was founded in 1996 by New Zealander Russell Brice. The name is a truncated version of the full name "Himalayan Experience". National Geographic said Himex was the "largest and most sophisticated guiding operation on Everest" in a 2013 article. Himex's team is known for fixing lines on Mount Everest, although in 2012 other teams did this work.
Three of the expeditions of this company were filmed in the television show Everest: Beyond the Limit between 2006 and 2009. In 2013, David Tait achieved his fifth Mount Everest summiting with a Himex team. (see also List of Mount Everest summiters by number of times to the summit)
Brice has pushed for many years to use helicopters to fly gear over the Khumbu Icefall to the Nepal-side Camp I to enhance safety. In the aftermath of the 2015 Nepal earthquakes Himex pulled out from summiting Everest that season.
A distinctive feature of Himex's Mount Everest base camp is the social tent, the "Tiger Dome", about 50 feet (15 m) across, climate controlled and with a large window to look out, offering espresso, wine and other drinks and television, music, web-connected computers, and gaming devices.
In 2016, Himex employed 21-time Everest summiter Phurba Tashi, who did not make a summit but in 2016 who was mourning the loss of both his parents. Himex did go to Everest and even manage to finish early. They used the extra time to refurbish some of the gear, such as (re)painting tent poles.
People of Himex
- Douglas, Ed (2006-08-15). "Over the Top". Outside Online. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Everest Maxed Out". Ngm.nationalgeographic.com. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Crowds On Mt. Everest". Eight Summits. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Mount Everest climb carries hefty price tag - World - CBC News". Cbc.ca. 2012-05-23. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Congrats to Himex team Success on Mt. Everest". Mountain Experience. 2013-05-10. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- Schaffer, Grayson (2015-04-29). "Everest: The Show Must Go On?". Outside Online. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Himex Abandons Everest Climb". Outside Online. 2015-05-01. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Everest Base Camp, Russell Brice Style | Outside Online". Outside Online. 2012-01-23. Retrieved 2018-03-31.
- "The Times They Are A Changin': The Effect of Institutional Change on ... - David Savage, Benno Torgler". Books.google.com. 2015-02-25. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- "Manaslu Dispatches". Altitude Junkies. Retrieved 2015-07-23.
- Schaffer, Grayson (2014-04-03). "The Guide Putting Everest Expeditions on a Fast Track". Outside Online. Retrieved 2015-07-23.