Himitsu Sentai Gorenger
|Himitsu Sentai Gorenger|
|Created by||Shotaro Ishinomori|
|Developed by||Shōzō Uehara|
|Music by||Chumei Watanabe|
|Opening theme||"Susume! Gorenger" by Isao Sasaki, Mitsuko Horie, & Columbia Yurikago Kai|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||84|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Production companies||Toei Company|
|Original release||April 5, 1975 –|
March 26, 1977
Himitsu Sentai Goranger (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā, Secret Squad Goranger) is a Japanese tokusatsu superhero television series. Gorenger, created by Shotaro Ishinomori, was the first in the long-running Super Sentai metaseries of tokusatsu programming. The series aired on NET (now TV Asahi) from April 5, 1975, to March 26, 1977, and was replaced by J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai for 84 episodes. Toei distributes the series internationally under the title Five Rangers. The series was released in the Philippines under the title Star Rangers.
When world peace is threatened by the emergence of a terrorist group called the Black Cross Army, EAGLE (The Earth Guard League) is formed to combat the threat. The Black Cross Army sends five operatives to destroy each EAGLE branch in Japan, killing all except for five agents. These surviving agents are summoned to a secret base located underneath the snack shop "Gon", where they are recruited by EAGLE Japan's commander, Gonpachi Edogawa. They become the Himitsu Sentai Gorengers and are given electronic battlesuits that endow them with superhuman strength and speed. The five dedicate themselves to stopping the Black Cross Army and its leader, the Black Cross Führer.
- Tsuyoshi Kaijo (海城 剛, Kaijō Tsuyoshi):The 24-year-old younger brother of the Kantō EAGLE base captain, Tsuyoshi and his teammates were playing soccer when the Black Cross Army launched the attack that killed his brother. Tsuyoshi is trained in combat planning and strategy. As the red-colored Akarenger (アカレンジャー, Akarenjā), he is the team leader and coordinates group attacks such as the Gorenger Storm (ゴレンジャーストーム, Gorenjā Sutōmu) or Gorenger Hurricane (ゴレンジャーハリケーン, Gorenjā Harikēn). He is armed with the Red Vute (レッドビュート, Reddo Byūto), a multipurpose whip that can transform into other weapons such as the Spear Vute (ヤリビュート, Yari Byūto) or the Drill Vute (ドリルビュート, Doriru Byūto). He also carries the Silver Shot (シルバーショット, Shirubā Shotto) tranquilizer gun. Tsuyoshi appeared in the final episode of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, receiving his powers back in the form of the Akarenger Key as the Gokaigers left Earth.
- Akira Shinmei (新命 明, Shinmei Akira): 25-years-old and the oldest member of the Gorenger team. Akira was training in the snowy region of Tōhoku when the Black Cross Army attacked. He is a marksmanship instructor, skilled in archery and piloting. He wants to become a racing driver. As the blue-colored Aorenger (アオレンジャー, Aorenjā), he is the second-in-command. He pilots the Variblune, and later the Varidorin. He is armed with the Bluechery (ブルーチェリー, Burūcherī) and later Ultra Bluechery (ウルトラブルーチェリー, Urutora Burūcherī), a bow that can fire specially designed arrows known as Blue Arrows and Blue Arrow Rockets.
- Kirenger (キレンジャー, Kirenjā): The yellow-colored member of the Gorengers who is armed with the Ki Sticker (キーステッカー, Kī Sutekkā), a polearm whose head can be outfitted with various attachments such as a punching fist, and the YTC (YTC, Wai Tī Shī, Yellow Transceiver), a radio that can jam electronic circuitry. The moniker of Kirenger was used by its original user and his temporary successor.
- Daita Oiwa (大岩 大太, Ōiwa Daita) (1–54 & 67–84): 23-years-old. Called Dai-chan by Akira, Peggy, and Yoko, Daita is a jovial engineering recruit at EAGLE's Kyushu branch who was training with his comrades when the Black Cross Army attacked. Adept in mechanics and mathematics, he has difficulty solving simple word puzzles and riddles. As a judo champion, Daita is physically strong. Daita was later promoted to Chief of EAGLE's Kyushu branch but soon returned to active duty with the Gorengers after his replacement is killed by the Black Cross Army.
- Daigoro Kumano (熊野 大五郎, Kumano Daigorō) (55–67): After Daita became the commander of the Kyushu branch for a time, Daigoro replaced him. Daigoro was killed by a flying blade from Can Opener Mask.
- Peggy Matsuyama (ペギー松山, Pegī Matsuyama): 18-years-old. Peggy worked at EAGLE's Hokkaido branch as a chemical analyst and weapons engineer specializing in explosives. Fashion-conscious, Peggy often wears go-go boots and short hip-hugging hot pants. As the pink-colored Momorenger (モモレンジャー, Momorenjā), she is armed with the Momo Mirror (モモミラー, Momo Mirā), a jamming device that can confuse and confound her opponents. She also carries the Momo Card (モモカード, Momo Kādo) throwing shuriken and the high impact Earring Bombs (ピアス爆弾, Piasu Bakudan).
- Kenji Asuka (明日香 健二, Asuka Kenji): 17-years-old, Kenji is the youngest member of the team. Kenji was tending to pigeons on a rooftop at EAGLE's Kansai branch when the Black Cross Army attacked, thus saving him from the poison gas used in the attack. He has a happy-go-lucky temperament. As the green-colored Midorenger (ミドレンジャー, Midorenjā), he is armed with the Midomerang (ミドメラン, Midomeran), a razor-sharp boomerang that can be either flung at his opponents or used as a handheld weapon for cutting and slashing. He also carries the Mido Puncher (ミドパンチャー, Mido Panchā), an updated slingshot that can be used to fire pachinko pellets and sometimes explosives.
Other EAGLE characters
- Gonpachi Edogawa (江戸川 権八, Edogawa Gonpachi): Commander of EAGLE's Japan branch. When operating in public, Gonpachi disguises himself as the cook at the snack shop Gon (ゴン), which is the secret entrance to the Gorengers' headquarters. The shop later becomes the fruit parlor Gon.
- EAGLE Agents (イーグル連絡員, Īguru Renrakuin): A trio of secretaries and secret agents who assists Commander Edogawa: Yoko Kato (加藤 陽子, Katō Yōko) (a.k.a. Agent 007), Tomoko Hayashi (林 友子, Hayashi Tomoko) (a.k.a. Agent 008), and Haruko Nakamura (中村 春子, Nakamura Haruko) (a.k.a. Agent 009). They act behind the scenes but occasionally help the Gorengers in the field.
Black Cross Army
The Black Cross Army (黒十字軍, Kuro Jūjigun) is a terrorist group led by the Black Cross Führer whose goal is the eradication of the human race and the absolute domination of the world. They use advanced technology and magic to create an army of superhuman operatives to attack EAGLE and the Gorengers. Most of the Black Cross operatives are humans who have been enhanced through surgery. They had various secret bases across the globe. The main headquarters was the flying Black Cross Castle (黒十字城, Kuro Jūjijō), which orbited high above the ground.
- Black Cross Führer (黒十字総統, Kuro Jūji Sōtō): As the leader of the Black Cross Army, he was often referred to as the "Machine Monster". He could not be easily killed by a conventional weapon. He had supernatural powers and was supremely intelligent. He kept his identity a secret even among his generals but revealed himself as a sentient alien machine construct that was part of the Black Cross Castle. He could also disguise himself as either a male or female human. He was destroyed when the Gorengers launched their Five-Star Cassiopea Attack.
- Sun Mask (日輪仮面, Nichirin Kamen, 15–20): The so-called "Star of Africa" (アフリカの星, Afurika no Hoshi). He was a ruthless tyrant who was renowned for his successive victories in Africa. He was called to Japan to eliminate the Gorengers by any means necessary, though his cowardice interferes with his operations.
- Iron Man Mask General Temujin (鉄人仮面テムジン将軍, Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shōgun, 20–42): The so-called "Mongol Demon" (モンゴルの鬼, Mongoru no Oni), he was recruited from Black Cross Army's Gobi Desert operations. A cold and sadistic operative, he is a brilliant tactician and also formed his own army called the Steel Brigade (鋼鉄軍団, Kōtetsu Gundan). Vain and prideful, he often lets his ego disrupt his operations.
- Volcano Mask General Magman (火の山仮面マグマン将軍, Hinoyama Kamen Maguman Shōgun, 42–54): He was recruited from the volcanic Eldgja region in Iceland. He is the leader of the ruthless Eruption Battalion (噴火軍団, Funka Gundan). He commanded his own mobile battle fortress dubbed Moving Fortress Navarone (移動要塞ナバローン, Idō Yōsai Nabarōn). He had the ability to fire napalm missiles from the top of his "volcano" Mask. He is impervious to the Gorengers' weapons and is a master combatant.
- Commander-in-Chief Golden Mask (ゴールデン仮面大将軍, Gōruden Kamen Daishōgun, 54–84): Black Cross Army's top general. A supernatural entity that was mystically awoken through black magic and Black Cross Führer's powers. Golden Mask took command of Black Cross Army's elite Africa Troopers (アフリカ軍団, Afurika Gundan). He is versed in sorcery and keenly interested in astrology. He can repel most of the Gorengers' attacks.
- Steel Sword Dragon (鋼鉄剣竜, Kōtetsu Kenryū, Movie): A renegade Black Cross Army operative who was imprisoned by Black Cross Führer for his recklessness and rebelliousness. He was later freed by Black Cross Führer in exchange for his help in destroying the Gorengers. He was an incredibly strong fighter and was impervious to harm. Wielded a mighty dao that could destroy almost any object.
- Masked Monsters (仮面怪人, Kamen Kaijin) is the Black Cross Army's field agents who cause many types of chaos and disorder wherever they go. They are mainly humanoid machines with strange masks that represent their ability and skills in the field, with the ability to continuously upgrade themselves through the continued research and developments of the Black Cross Army. These humanoids can have abilities to change into other objects to help with infiltration or investigations or to assist in their chaos-causing objectives.
- Zolders (ゾルダー, Zorudā): The faceless leather-suited foot soldiers of the Black Cross, altered with enhanced strength and speed and brainwashed to be absolutely loyal. They carry a variety of weapons including machine guns, bazookas, and iron swords. Specialized divisions include the Black Cross Camouflaged Ninja (黒十字忍団, Kuro Jūji Nindan) and a squad of mystics who served Black Cross Führer. The Zolders pilot air fighters called Condolers (コンドラー, Kondorā) (small) and Battlers (バットラー, Battorā) (large). They can be heard shouting "Hoi" when attacking their victims.
Episodes aired on Saturdays at 7:30 pm JST.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original airdate||Rating|
|1||"The Crimson Sun! The Invincible Gorengers"|
Transcription: "Makka na Taiyō! Muteki Gorenjā" (Japanese: 真赤な太陽！無敵ゴレンジャー)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||April 5, 1975||15.2|
|2||"The Blue Earth! The Deadly Desertification Plan"|
Transcription: "Aoi Chikyū! Shi no Sabakuka Keikaku" (Japanese: 青い地球！死の砂漠化計画)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||April 12, 1975||14.4|
|3||"Big Counterattack! A Yellow Whirlwind"|
Transcription: "Dai Gyakushū! Kiiroi Tsumujikaze" (Japanese: 大逆襲！黄色いつむじ風)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 19, 1975||15.7|
|4||"A Crimson Kick! Smash the Great Microbe Plan"|
Transcription: "Kurenai no Kikku! Kudake Mikuro Dai Sakusen" (Japanese: 紅のキック！砕けミクロ大作戦)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 26, 1975||16.0|
|5||"Green Anger, Immortal Gas-Person"|
Transcription: "Midoriiro no Ikari Fujimi Gasu Ningen" (Japanese: みどり色の怒り 不死身ガス人間)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||May 3, 1975||16.2|
|6||"Red Riddle! Chase the Spy Route to the Sea"|
Transcription: "Akai Nazo! Supai Rūto o Umi ni Oe" (Japanese: 赤い謎！スパイルートを海に追え)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||May 10, 1975||16.8|
|7||"Pink Moonlight! Wolf Corps"|
Transcription: "Pinku no Gekkō! Ōkami Butai" (Japanese: ピンクの月光！オオカミ部隊)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||May 24, 1975||16.7|
|8||"Black Fear! The Murderous Poison Fang"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Kyōfu! Koroshi no Dokuga" (Japanese: 黒い恐怖！殺しの毒牙)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||May 31, 1975||17.4|
|9||"Blue Shadow, Variblune Secret Strategy"|
Transcription: "Aoi Kagebōshi Bariburūn Himitsu Senryaku" (Japanese: 青い影法師 バリブルーン秘密戦略)
|Itaru Orita||Shōzō Uehara||June 7, 1975||17.0|
|10||"The Red Balloon! Wind Speed at 100 Meters"|
Transcription: "Akai Fūsen! Fūsoku Hyaku-mētoru" (Japanese: 赤い風船！風速100メートル)
|Itaru Orita||Shōzō Uehara||June 14, 1975||16.8|
|11||"Green Shudder! The Escape From Ear Hell"|
Transcription: "Midoriiro no Senritsu! Mimi Jigoku kara no Dasshutsu" (Japanese: みどり色の戦慄！耳地獄からの脱出)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||June 21, 1975||18.1|
|12||"Super Energy of Silver! Burning Hell"|
Transcription: "Gin'iro no Chō Enerugī! Shōnetsu Jigoku" (Japanese: 銀色の超エネルギー！焦熱地獄)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||June 28, 1975||17.3|
|13||"The Pink Secret! Defeat the Human Bomb"|
Transcription: "Pinku no Himitsu! Ningen Bakudan o Taose" (Japanese: ピンクの秘密！人間爆弾を倒せ)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||July 5, 1975||18.6|
|14||"The Red Coffin! The Mysterious Skull Mansion"|
Transcription: "Akai Kan'oke! Dokuro Yashiki no Kai" (Japanese: 赤い棺桶！ドクロ屋敷の怪)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||July 12, 1975||17.0|
|15||"The Big Blue Fortress! Big Raging Variblune"|
Transcription: "Aoi Dai Yōsai! Ō Abare Bariburūn" (Japanese: 青い大要塞！大暴れバリブルーン)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||July 26, 1975||13.9|
|16||"White Weirdness! The Eye in the Mirror"|
Transcription: "Shiroi Kaiki! Kagami no Naka no Me" (Japanese: 白い怪奇！鏡の中の目)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||August 2, 1975||12.9|
|17||"The Purple Theme Park! A Demonic Cemetery"|
Transcription: "Murasakiiro no Yūenchi! Akuma no Hakaba" (Japanese: むらさき色の遊園地！悪魔の墓場)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||August 9, 1975||14.0|
|18||"Horrible Black Crusaders! Attack According to the (Secret) Plan"|
Transcription: "Senritsu no Kuro Jūjigun! Maruhi Sakusen de Kōgeki Seyo" (Japanese: 戦慄の黒十字軍！㊙作戦で攻撃せよ)
|Minoru Yamada||Kimio Hirayama||August 16, 1975||13.0|
|19||"A Blue Spark! The Spy Front That Floats in the Sea"|
Transcription: "Aoi Hibana! Umi ni Ukabu Supai Sensen" (Japanese: 青い火花！海に浮かぶスパイ戦線)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Keisuke Fujikawa||August 23, 1975||17.1|
|20||"Crimson Fight to the Death! Sun Mask vs. Akarenger"|
Transcription: "Makka na Shitō! Nichirin Kamen Tai Akarenjā" (Japanese: 真赤な死闘！日輪仮面対アカレンジャー)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||August 30, 1975||17.6|
|21||"Blue Miracle! The Mysterious Airship That Came From Antiquity"|
Transcription: "Aoi Kyōi! Kodai kara Kita Kai Hikōsen" (Japanese: 青い驚異！古代から来た怪飛行船)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 6, 1975||17.9|
|22||"Yellow Air Raid! Nightmares of Atlantis"|
Transcription: "Kiiroi Kūshū! Atorantisu no Akumu" (Japanese: 黄色い空襲！アトランティスの悪夢)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 13, 1975||15.4|
|23||"Green Dogfight! The End of the Mysterious Airship"|
Transcription: "Midori no Kūshūsen! Kai Hikōsen no Saigo" (Japanese: みどりの空中戦！怪飛行船の最期)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 20, 1975||17.2|
|24||"Blue Anger! Strong Midomerang, Big Counterattack"|
Transcription: "Aoi Ikari! Kyōretsu Midomeran Dai Gyakushū" (Japanese: 青い怒り！強烈ミドメラン大逆襲)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||October 4, 1975||16.2|
|25||"Crimson Fuse! Lamprey Torpedo Attack"|
Transcription: "Makka na Dōkasen! Yatsume no Gyorai Kōgeki" (Japanese: 真赤な導火線！八ツ目の魚雷攻撃)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||October 11, 1975||19.0|
|26||"Multi-Changing Blue Veins! The Dreadful Poison Expert"|
Transcription: "Aosuji Shichi Henge! Kyōfu no Dokuyaku Hakase" (Japanese: 青すじ七変化！恐怖の毒薬博士)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||October 18, 1975||21.0|
|27||"Yellow Object Q! Gorenger Base S.O.S."|
Transcription: "Kiiroi Buttai Kyū! Gorenjā Kichi Esu Ō Esu" (Japanese: 黄色い物体Q！ゴレンジャー基地SOS)
|Itaru Orita||Shōzō Uehara||October 25, 1975||19.4|
|28||"Big Red Eruption! Infiltrate the Underground Base"|
Transcription: "Akai Dai Funka! Chitei Kichi ni Sen'nyū Seyo" (Japanese: 赤い大噴火！地底基地に潜入せよ)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||November 1, 1975||19.4|
|29||"Red Pursuit! The Mysterious Seal Train"|
Transcription: "Akai Tsuigeki! Nazo no Fūin Ressha" (Japanese: 赤い追撃！なぞの封印列車)
|Itaru Orita||Hirohisa Soda||November 8, 1975||19.2|
|30||"Golden Columns of Fire! A Great Explosion of Consecutive Mines"|
Transcription: "Kin'iro no Hibashira! Kirai Renzoku Dai Bakuhatsu" (Japanese: 金色の火柱！機雷連続大爆発)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||November 15, 1975||19.0|
|31||"The Black Challenge! Enrage, Five Stars of Justice"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Chōsenjō! Ikare Itsutsu no Seigi no Hoshi" (Japanese: 黒い挑戦状！怒れ五つの正義の星)
|Minoru Yamada||Kimio Hirayama||November 22, 1975||18.0|
|32||"Hot Blue Wind! No Response from Variblune"|
Transcription: "Aoi Neppū! Bariburūn Ōtō Nashi" (Japanese: 青い熱風！バリブルーン応答なし)
|Hidetoshi Kitamura||Shōzō Uehara||November 29, 1975||20.8|
|33||"The Red Target! A Fake Gorenger Appears"|
Transcription: "Akai Hyōteki! Nisemono Gorenjā Shutsugen" (Japanese: 赤い標的！にせものゴレンジャー出現)
|Hidetoshi Kitamura||Hirohisa Soda||December 6, 1975||19.6|
|34||"The Yellow Spy Battle! You Saw the Power of YTC"|
Transcription: "Kiiroi Supai-sen! Mita ka Wai Tī Shī no Iryoku" (Japanese: 黄色いスパイ戦！見たかYTCの威力)
|Hidetoshi Kitamura||Shōzō Uehara||December 20, 1975||17.6|
|35||"Big Strange Black Bird! Condoler: War Bomber Fleet"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Dai Kaichō! Kondorā Sentō Bakugekitai" (Japanese: 黒い大怪鳥！コンドラー戦斗爆撃隊)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||December 27, 1975||18.8|
|36||"The Fierce Crimson Charge! The Mobile Fortress Invincible Battleship"|
Transcription: "Makka na Mō Shingeki! Ugoku Yōsai Muteki Senkan" (Japanese: 真赤な猛進撃！動く要塞無敵戦艦)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 10, 1976||16.9|
|37||"A Pure White Flash! The Black Cross Führer's True Form"|
Transcription: "Masshiroi Senkō! Kuro Jūji Sōtō no Shōtai" (Japanese: 真白い閃光！黒十字総統の正体)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 17, 1976||20.0|
|38||"The Blue Cliff! The Search for Demonic Pirate Treasure"|
Transcription: "Aoi Dangai! Akuma no Kaizoku Takara Sagashi" (Japanese: 青い断崖！悪魔の海賊宝さがし)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||January 31, 1976||19.5|
|39||"Crimson Sea of Japan! The Superpower of the Mysterious Meteorite"|
Transcription: "Makka na Nihonkai! Kai Inseki no Chōnōryoku" (Japanese: 真赤な日本海！怪隕石の超能力)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||February 7, 1976||20.6|
|40||"The Crimson Vengeance Demon! The Infernal Momorenger"|
Transcription: "Kurenai no Fukushūki! Jigoku no Momorenjā" (Japanese: 紅の復讐鬼！地獄のモモレンジャー)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||February 14, 1976||19.6|
|41||"Big Black Counterattack! The Battle of Tottori Dune"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Dai Gyakushū! Tottori Sakyū no Kōbōsen" (Japanese: 黒い大逆転！鳥取砂丘の攻防戦)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||February 28, 1976||22.3|
|42||"The Black Ironman Dies! Farewell, Variblune"|
Transcription: "Kuro no Tetsujin Shisu! Saraba Bariburūn" (Japanese: 黒の鉄人死す！さらばバリブルーン)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||March 13, 1976||17.1|
|43||"The Crimson Phoenix! Enter, the Invincible Varidorin"|
Transcription: "Makka na Fushichō! Muteki Baridorīn Tōjō" (Japanese: 真赤な不死鳥！無敵バリドリーン登場)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||March 20, 1976||15.4|
|44||"Blue Multi-Purpose Tank! Varitank Launches"|
Transcription: "Aoi Bannō Sensha! Baritanku Hasshin" (Japanese: 青い万能戦車！バリタンク発進)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||March 27, 1976||18.5|
|45||"Dark Sword Shark! Attack of the Marine Hitman"|
Transcription: "Ankoku no Ken-zame! Umi no Koroshiya Shūrai" (Japanese: 暗黒の剣鮫！海の殺し屋襲来)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 3, 1976||18.7|
|46||"Black Super Express! Locomotive Mask's Big Rampage"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Chōtokkyū! Kikansha Kamen Dai Bōsō" (Japanese: 黒い超特急！機関車仮面大暴走)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 10, 1976||19.0|
|47||"Big Red Counterattack! Angry Gorenger"|
Transcription: "Akai Dai Gyakushū! Ikari no Gorenjā" (Japanese: 赤い大逆襲！怒りのゴレンジャー)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 17, 1976||16.5|
|48||"The Black Supply Depot! Close Call at the Theme Park"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Hokyū Kichi! Yūenchi Kikiippatsu" (Japanese: 黒い補給基地！遊園地危機一髪)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||April 24, 1976||16.4|
|49||"The Big Green Escape! The Swirling Trick Play"|
Transcription: "Midori no Dai Dassō! Manji no Torikku Purei" (Japanese: みどりの大脱走！卍のトリックプレイ)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||May 1, 1976||18.5|
|50||"The Blue-Winged Secret! Dangerous Varidorin"|
Transcription: "Aoi Tsubasa no Himitsu! Ayaushi Baridorīn" (Japanese: 青い翼の秘密！危うしバリドリーン)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||May 8, 1976||15.6|
|51||"The Making of Blue Counterfeit Money! The Sunset Gunman"|
Transcription: "Aoi Nisesatsu-zukuri! Yūhi no Ganman" (Japanese: 青いニセ札づくり！夕陽のガンマン)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||May 15, 1976||14.6|
|52||"The Pink Telephone Demon! The Murderous Dial"|
Transcription: "Pinku no Denwaki! Koroshi no Daiyaru" (Japanese: ピンクの電話鬼！殺しのダイヤル)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||May 29, 1976||15.4|
|53||"The Red Home Run King! The Deadly Number 1"|
Transcription: "Akai Hōmu Ran Ō! Hissatsu no Sebangō Ichi" (Japanese: 赤いホームラン王！必殺の背番号1)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||June 5, 1976||16.4|
|54||"Crimson Challenge! The Volcano's Last Big Eruption"|
Transcription: "Makka na Chōsen! Hi no Yama Saigo no Dai Funka" (Japanese: 真赤な挑戦！火の山最期の大噴火)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||June 19, 1976||14.6|
|55||"The Colored Daishogun! Tutankamen's Curse"|
Transcription: "Kin'iro no Daishōgun! Tsutankāmen no Noroi" (Japanese: 金色の大将軍！ツタンカーメンの呪い)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||July 3, 1976||16.3|
|56||"Blue Summer Vacation! A Demon's Killing Beach"|
Transcription: "Aoi Natsuyasumi! Ma no Satsujin Kaigan" (Japanese: 青い夏休み！魔の殺人海岸)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||July 10, 1976||15.7|
|57||"The Black Encircling Net! Five-Faced Peggy"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Hōimō! Itsutsu no Kao no Pegī" (Japanese: 黒い包囲網！五つの顔のペギー)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||July 31, 1976||8.7|
|58||"Crimson Ambition! His Excellency the Führer's Gold Castle"|
Transcription: "Makka na Yabō! Sōtō Kakka no Ōgon-jō" (Japanese: 真赤な野望！総統閣下の黄金城)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||August 7, 1976||9.8|
|59||"The Crimson South! The Mysterious Big Gold Plan"|
Transcription: "Makka na Nangoku! Nazo no Gōrudo Dai Sakusen" (Japanese: 真赤な南国！謎のゴールド大作戦)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 4, 1976||11.5|
|60||"Blue Inland Sea! The Floating Secret Fortress Island"|
Transcription: "Aoi Setonaikai! Ukabu Himitsu Yōsai-tō" (Japanese: 青い瀬戸内海！浮ぶ秘密要塞島)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||September 11, 1976||12.7|
|61||"The Pink KO Punch! The End-Ball Game"|
Transcription: "Momoiro no Kei Ō Panchi! Endo Bōru Shōbu" (Japanese: 桃色のKOパンチ！エンドボール勝負)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||September 18, 1976||11.4|
|62||"The White Mystery! The Trap of the Grim Reaper's Mansion"|
Transcription: "Shiroi Kaiki! Shinigamikan no Wana" (Japanese: 白い怪奇！死神館の罠)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||September 25, 1976||16.0|
|63||"A Flash of Black Lightning! The Protruding Cannon"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Denkōsekka! Tobidasu Taihō" (Japanese: 黒い電光石火！飛び出す大砲)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||October 2, 1976||12.5|
|64||"Blue UFO!! The Space Army's Big Invasion"|
Transcription: "Aoi Yūfō!! Uchū Gundan Dai Shūrai" (Japanese: 青いUFO！！宇宙軍団大襲来)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||October 16, 1976||15.1|
|65||"The Crimson Suicide Squad!! The Crowded Black Cross Castle Raid"|
Transcription: "Makka na Kesshitai!! Nagurikomi Kuro Jūjijō" (Japanese: 真赤な決死隊！！殴りこみ黒十字城)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||October 23, 1976||11.6|
|66||"The Red Hostage Exchange!! Battlers' Big Charge"|
Transcription: "Akai Hitojichi Kōkan!! Battorā Dai Shūgeki" (Japanese: 赤い人質交換！！バットラー大爆撃)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||October 30, 1976||15.9|
|67||"Crimson Special Attack!! Kirenger Dies at Sunset"|
Transcription: "Makka na Tokkō!! Kirenjā Yūhi ni Shisu" (Japanese: 真赤な特攻！！キレンジャー夕陽に死す)
|Michio Konishi||Shōzō Uehara||November 6, 1976||13.9|
|68||"The Pink Rebellion!! The Big Attack of Needle-Needle-Needle"|
Transcription: "Pinku no Hanran!! Hari Hari Hari no Dai Kōgeki" (Japanese: ピンクの反乱！！針・針・針の大攻撃)
|Michio Konishi||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||November 13, 1976||15.7|
|69||"The New Multicolored Vehicle!! Varikikyun Launches"|
Transcription: "Goshiki no Shin Heiki!! Barikikyūn Hasshin" (Japanese: 五色の新兵器！！バリキキューン発進)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||November 20, 1976||13.2|
|70||"Blue Counterattack!! Stop the Space Express"|
Transcription: "Aoi Gyakushū!! Uchū Tokkyū o Sutoppu Seyo" (Japanese: 青い逆襲！！宇宙特急をストップせよ)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||November 27, 1976||17.7|
|71||"Big Crimson Decisive Battle!! The Earth Migration Plan"|
Transcription: "Makka na Dai Kessen!! Chikyū Idō Keikaku" (Japanese: 真赤な大決戦！！地球移動計画)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||December 4, 1976||14.2|
|72||"Blue Secrecy!! Varidorin Left to be Dismantled"|
Transcription: "Aoi Kimitsu!! Kaitai Sareta Baridorīn" (Japanese: 青い機密！！解体されたバリドリーン)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||December 11, 1976||13.7|
|73||"Black Whirlwind!! It's a Contest! A Straight Line"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Tsumujikaze!! Shōbu da! Itchokusen" (Japanese: 黒いつむじ風！！勝負だ！一直線)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||December 18, 1976||14.9|
|74||"Freezing Blue Wave!! The Plan to Freeze Earth"|
Transcription: "Aoi Dai Kanpa!! Chikyū Kōrizuke Sakusen" (Japanese: 青い大寒波！！地球氷づけ作戦)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||December 25, 1976||16.8|
|75||"Fiery Crimson Hell!! Stove Mask's Conspiracy"|
Transcription: "Makka na Kaen Jigoku!! Sutōbu Kamen no Inbō" (Japanese: 真赤な火炎地獄！！ストーブ仮面の陰謀)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 8, 1977||13.0|
|76||"Crimson Infiltration!! Did You See Tsuyoshi Kaijo?"|
Transcription: "Makka na Sen'nyū!! Kimi wa Kaijō Tsuyoshi o Mita ka?" (Japanese: 真赤な潜入！！君は海城剛を見たか?)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||January 15, 1977||12.7|
|77||"Black Fear!! The Bloodsucking Snake Woman"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Kyōfu!! Kyūketsu Hebi On'na" (Japanese: 黒い恐怖！！吸血へび女)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 22, 1977||14.0|
|78||"Black Jamming!! A Primeval Roar"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Bōgai Denpa!! Genshi no Otakebi" (Japanese: 黒い妨害電波！！原始の雄叫び)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||January 29, 1977||14.5|
|79||"Crimson Pursuit!! The Formless Assassin's True Form"|
Transcription: "Makka na Tsuiseki!! Sugata Naki Ansatsusha no Shōtai" (Japanese: 真赤な追跡！！姿なき暗殺者の正体)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||February 5, 1977||15.4|
|80||"Crimson Crossing in Enemy Territory! Escape to Hope"|
Transcription: "Makka na Tekichū Ōdan! Kibō e no Dasshutsu" (Japanese: 真赤な敵中横断！希望への脱出)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||February 12, 1977||15.3|
|81||"Black Doubt!! The Murder Spy's Trap"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Giwaku!! Satsujin Supai no Wana" (Japanese: 黒い疑惑！！殺人スパイの罠)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||February 19, 1977||13.8|
|82||"Black Magician!! Mystery of the Dollhouse?!"|
Transcription: "Kuroi Majutsushi!! Ningyōkan no Kai?!" (Japanese: 黒い魔術師！！人形館の怪?！)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||February 26, 1977||13.9|
|83||"Orange First Love!! The Roaring Megalopolis"|
Transcription: "Orenji-iro no Hatsukoi!! Hoeru Dai Tokai" (Japanese: オレンジ色の初恋！！吼える大都会)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||March 12, 1977||14.4|
|84||"Great Crimson Victory!! Shine Forever, Five Stars"|
Transcription: "Makka na Dai Shōri!! Towa ni Kagayake Itsutsu Boshi" (Japanese: 真赤な大勝利！！永久に輝け五ツ星)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||March 26, 1977||11.8|
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Movie (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā): Released on July 26, 1975. The movie version of episode 6.
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Blue Fortress (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 青い大要塞, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā Aoi Daiyōsai): Released on December 20, 1975. The movie version of episode 15.
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Red Death Match (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 真赤な猛進撃！, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā Makka na Mōshingeki!): Released on March 20, 1976. The movie version of episode 36.
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: Fire Mountain's Final Explosion (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 火の山最後の大噴火, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā Hi no Yama Saigo no Daifunka): Released on December 19, 1976. The movie version of episode 54.
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Bomb Hurricane (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 爆弾ハリケーン, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā Bakudan Harikēn): Released on July 18, 1976.
- J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai vs. Gorenger (ジャッカー電撃隊VSゴレンジャー, Jakkā Dengekitai Tai Gorenjā): Released on March 18, 1978.
The series was adapted into a manga written and drawn by Ishinomori and published in Weekly Shōnen Sunday magazine from May 4, 1975, to August 17, 1975. In this series, the Gorengers are all teenagers and Tsuyoshi's father is the head of EAGLE's Kanto branch. Tsuyoshi Kaijo is given the powers of the Akarenger by his father before he is murdered by the Black Cross Army. Tsuyoshi becomes Akarenger and recruits the others to form the Gorengers and avenge his father's death. Seven Seas Entertainment licensed the manga outside Japan for North American territories.
- Tsuyoshi Kaijo: Naoya Makoto (誠 直也, Makoto Naoya)
- Akira Shinmei: Hiroshi Miyauchi (宮内 洋, Miyauchi Hiroshi)
- Daita Oiwa: Baku Hatakeyama (畠山 麦, Hatakeyama Baku)
- Daigoro Kumano: Jirō Daruma (だるま 二郎, Daruma Jirō)
- Peggy Matsuyama: Lisa Komaki (小牧 りさ, Komaki Risa)
- Kenji Asuka: Yukio Itō (伊藤 幸雄, Itō Yukio)
- Yoko Kato: Eri Kanuma (鹿沼 えり, Kanuma Eri)
- Tomoko Hayashi: Emi Shirakawa (白川 恵美, Shirakawa Emi)
- Haruko Nakamura: Miki Honda (本田 みき, Honda Miki)
- Taro Kato (加藤 太郎, Katō Tarō): Hiroyuki Konuma (小沼 宏之, Konuma Hiroyuki)
- Black Cross Führer: Mitsuo Andō (安藤 三男, Andō Mitsuo, 1-55), Nobuo Yana (八名 信夫, Yana Nobuo, 56-84) (Voicing the role in episodes 54 & 55)
- Gonpachi Edogawa: Toshio Takahara (高原 駿雄, Takahara Toshio)
- Gon (ゴン): Hisako Kyōda (京田 尚子, Kyōda Hisako)
- Sun Mask (日輪仮面, Nichirin Kamen): Hiroshi Masuoka (増岡 弘, Masuoka Hiroshi)
- General Iron Mask Temujin (鉄人仮面テムジン将軍, Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shōgun): Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三, Iizuka Shōzō)
- General Fire Mountain Mask Magman (火の山仮面マグマン将軍, Hinoyama Kamen Maguman Shōgun): Eisuke Yoda (依田英助, Yoda Eisuke, 42–44), Shōzō Iizuka (45–54)
- Great General Golden Mask (ゴールデン仮面大将軍, Gōruden Kamen Daishōgun): Shōzō Iizuka
- Narrator: Nobuo Tanaka (田中 信夫, Tanaka Nobuo, 1–14): Tōru Ōhira (大平 透, Ōhira Tōru, 15–84)
- Opening theme
- "Susume! Gorenger" (進め！ゴレンジャー, Susume! Gorenjā, "Proceed! Gorenger")
- Lyrics: Shotaro Ishinomori
- Composition & arrangement: Chumei Watanabe
- Artists: Isao Sasaki, Mitsuko Horie, & Columbia Yurikago Kai
- Ending themes
- "Himitsu Sentai Gorenger" (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー, Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā, "Secret Squad Gorenger")
- Lyrics: Saburo Yatsude
- Composition & Arrangement: Chumei Watanabe
- Artist: Isao Sasaki & Koorogi '73
- Episodes: 1–63
- "Mi yo!! Gorenger" (見よ!!ゴレンジャー, Mi yo!! Gorenjā, "Look!! Gorenger")
- Lyrics: Shotaro Ishinomori
- Composition & Arrangement: Chumei Watanabe
- Artists: Isao Sasaki, Koorogi '73, & Wilbees
- Episodes: 64–84
International Broadcasts and Home Video
- In the United States, the original Japanese version was broadcast in Hawaii on Honolulu's KIKU-TV with English subtitles from 1975 through 1976, and the actors made personal appearances to promote the series. An unsubtitled version was also broadcast in California, on Sacramento's KMUV-TV in 1976, San Francisco's KEMO-TV in 1977.
- In the Philippines, Gorenger was dubbed into English and released as Star Rangers in 1978 and shown on Saturday afternoon on RPN-9. In this version, aside from their color designations, the Gorengers also had numeric designations, in order of their introduction to the enemy prior to battle: Akarenger = Star 1, Aorenger = Star 2, Kirenger = Star 3, Momorenger = Star 4, and Midorenger = Star 5.
- In Hong Kong, the series aired on the now-defunct Commercial Television station with a Cantonese Chinese dub from July 1, 1978, until August 19, 1978. But the channel ceased operations, causing the series to be cut short.
- In Thailand, the series aired on Channel 7 originally with a Thai Dub and currently licensed by Rose Media Entertainment. It also later aired on Channel 5 and also the Gang Cartoon Channel around 2009 with license currently owned by TIGA Company.
- ^ a b c "デジタル大辞泉プラス「秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー」の解説". KOTOBANK. Retrieved September 7, 2021.
- ^ "Library – English Titles – TOEI TV Website". Archived from the original on January 19, 2009.
- ^ Jonathan Clements; Motoko Tamamuro (2003). The Dorama Encyclopedia: A Guide to Japanese TV Drama Since 1953. Stone Bridge Press. p. 345. ISBN 9781611725216.
- ^ "デジタル大辞泉プラス「アカレンジャー」の解説". KOTOBANK. Retrieved September 7, 2021.
- ^ "デジタル大辞泉プラス[アオレンジャー」の解説". KOTOBANK. Retrieved September 7, 2021.
- ^ "デジタル大辞泉プラス[キレンジャー」の解説". KOTOBANK. Retrieved September 7, 2021.
- ^ "秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー". 日本映画情報システム. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- ^ "秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー青い大要塞". 日本映画情報システム. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- ^ "秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー真赤な猛進撃". 日本映画情報システム. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- ^ "秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 火の山最後の大噴火". Movie walker. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- ^ "秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー爆弾ハリケーン！". eiga.com. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- ^ "ジャッカー電撃隊VSゴレンジャー". Kinnote. Retrieved September 9, 2021.
- ^ Pineda, Rafael Antonio (November 2, 2020). "Seven Seas Licenses She Professed Herself Pupil of the Wiseman Novel & Manga, Gorenger Manga". Anime News Network. Retrieved January 31, 2021.
- Super-Sentai.net (in Japanese)
- 1970s Japanese television series
- 1975 Japanese television series debuts
- 1975 manga
- 1977 Japanese television series endings
- Espionage television series
- Seven Seas Entertainment titles
- Shogakukan manga
- Shōnen manga
- Shotaro Ishinomori
- Super Sentai
- TV Asahi original programming
- Japanese action television series
- Japanese spy television series