Himitsu Sentai Gorenger
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Himitsu Sentai Gorenger|
|Created by||Shotaro Ishinomori|
|Music by||Michiaki Watanabe|
|Opening theme||"Susume! Gorenger" by Isao Sasaki and Mitsuko Horie|
|Country of origin||Japan|
|No. of episodes||84|
|Running time||30 minutes|
|Original network||TV Asahi|
|Original release||April 5, 1975 – March 26, 1977|
|Followed by||J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai|
Himitsu Sentai Gorenger (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā) is a Japanese tokusatsu superhero television series. Gorenger, created by Shotaro Ishinomori, was the first in the long-running Super Sentai series of tokusatsu programming. The series aired on NET (now TV Asahi) from April 5, 1975 to March 26, 1977 for 84 episodes. Toei distributed the series internationally under the title Five Rangers.
|This section needs an improved plot summary. (March 2017)|
When world peace is threatened by the emergence of a terrorist group called the Black Cross Army, a peacekeeping organization called EAGLE (for Earth Guard League) is formed by the United Nations to combat the threat. The Black Cross Army sends five operatives to destroy each EAGLE branch in Japan, killing everyone except for five agents. These surviving agents are summoned to a secret base located underneath the snack shop "Gon", where they are recruited by EAGLE Japan's commander, Gonpachi Edogawa. They become the Secret Squadron Gorenger and are given electronic battlesuits that endow them with superhuman strength and speed. The five dedicate themselves to stopping the Black Cross Army and its leader, Black Cross Führer.
||This section may contain an excessive amount of intricate detail that may only interest a specific audience. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The International Secret Defense Organization EAGLE (国際秘密防衛機構イーグル Kokusai Himitsu Bōei Kikō Īguru) is a peacekeeping organization created by the United Nations to protect the world from the terrorist group known as the Black Cross Army. EAGLE develops the battlesuits and advanced technology used by the Gorengers to counteract the Black Cross Army's cyborg technology.
The Gorengers transform into their costumes by shouting the word "Go!". Prior to battle, the team shouts "Five members assembled, Gorenger!" (５人揃って、ゴレンジャー！ Gonin sorotte, Gorenjā!).
- Tsuyoshi Kaijo (海城 剛 Kaijō Tsuyoshi)/Akarenger (アカレンジャー Akarenjā, Red Ranger): 24-years-old. The younger brother of the Kantō EAGLE base captain, Tsuyoshi and his teammates were playing soccer when the Black Cross Army launched the attack that killed his brother. Tsuyoshi is trained in combat planning and strategy. He is the team leader and coordinates group attacks such as the "Gorenger Storm" or "Gorenger Hurricane". He carries a number of special weapons such as a tranquilizer gun (Silver Shot) and a multi-purpose whip (Red Vute), the end of which transforms into weapons such as a drill or claw (Red Hunter). Tsuyoshi appeared in the final episode of Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, receiving his powers back in the form of the Akrenger Key as the Gokaigers left Earth.
- Akira Shinmei (新命 明 Shinmei Akira)/Aorenger (アオレンジャー Aorenjā, Blue Ranger): 25-years-old and the oldest member of the Gorenger team. Akira was training in the snowy region of Touhoku when the Black Cross Army attacked. He is a marksmanship instructor, skilled in archery and piloting. He wants to become a racing driver. As Blue Ranger, he is the second-in-command. He pilots the Gorenger's aircraft "Variblune" and "Varidreen". He is armed with the "Bluechery" and "Ultra Bluechery" bows, which can fire specially designed arrows known as Blue Arrows and Blue Arrow Rockets.
- Daita Oiwa (大岩 大太 Ōiwa Daita)/Kirenger I (初代キレンジャー Shodai Kirenjā, Yellow Ranger) (1–54, 67–84): 23-years-old. Called Dai-chan by Shinmei, Peggy, and Yoko, Oiwa is a jovial engineering recruit at EAGLE's Kyūshū branch who was training with his comrades when the Black Cross Army attacked. Adept in mechanics and mathematics, he has difficulty solving simple word puzzles and riddles. As a judo champion, Oiwa is physically strong. He is armed with the "Ki Sticker" (Yellow Sticker), a polearm whose head can be outfitted with various attachments such as a punching fist. He also utilized the YTC (Yellow Transceiver) radio which can jam electronic circuitry. Oiwa was later promoted to Chief of the Kyūshū EAGLE branch, but soon returned to active duty with the Gorenger after his replacement is killed by the Black Cross Army.
- Daigoro Kumano (熊野 大五郎 Kumano Daigorō)/Kirenger II (２代目キレンジャー Nidaime Kirenjā, Yellow Ranger II) (55–67): After Oiwa became the commander of the Kyūshū branch for a time, Kumano replaced him. Kumano was killed by a flying blade from Can Opener Mask.
- Peggy Matsuyama (ペギー松山 Pegī Matsuyama)/Momorenger (モモレンジャー Momorenjā, Pink Ranger): 18-years-old. Peggy worked at EAGLE's Hokkaidō branch as a chemical analyst and weapons engineer specializing in explosives. Fashion conscious, Peggy often wears go-go boots and short hip-hugging hot pants. She is armed with heart-shaped earrings that double as high impact bombs. She also carries heart-shaped "Momo Card" throwing shurikens and a "Momo Mirror" jamming device that confuses and confounds her opponents.
- Kenji Asuka (明日香 健二 Asuka Kenji)/Midorenger (ミドレンジャー Midorenjā, Green Ranger): 17-years-old, Kenji is the youngest member of the team. He was training at EAGLE's Kansai branch. He has a happy-go-lucky temperament. Unlike the other four, Kenji was the only one unharmed when the Black Cross Army attacked, as he was tending to pigeons on a rooftop, thus saving him from the poison gas used in the attack. Kenji is armed with the razor-sharp "Midomerang" (Green boomerang) which was either flung at his opponents or used as a hand weapon for cutting and slashing. His weapon was later upgraded to the "New Midomerang", which was a bit bigger. He also carried the "Mido Puncher" which was an updated slingshot weapon that can be used to fire pachinko pellets and sometimes explosives.
- Birdies: Removable rockets that are clipped to the side of the Gorengers' belts that they use for flying.
- Weapons: the team possess individual weapons which they pull out of their visors.
- Akarenger: Red Vute (レッドビュート Reddo Byūto), New Red Vute (ニューレッドビュート Nyū Reddo Byūto), Yari Vute (ヤリビュート Yari Byūto), Drill Vute (ドリルビュート Doriru Byūto), Red Hunter (レッドハンター Reddo Hantā), and Silver Shot (シルバーショット Shirubā Shotto).
- Aorenger: Bluechery (ブルーチェリー Burūcherī) (used in episodes 1-42), Ultra Bluechery (ウルトラブルーチェリー Urutora Burūcherī) (used in episodes 43-84).
- Kirenger: YTC (YTC Wai Tī Shī), Ki Sticker (キーステッカー Kī Sutekkā) (with three attachments: Rock, Paper, and Scissors).
- Momorenger: Pierce Bombs (ピアス爆弾 Piasu Bakudan), Momo Mirror (モモミラー Momo Mirā), Momo Card (モモカード Momo Kādo).
- Midorenger: Midomerang (ミドメラン Midomeran), New Midomerang (ニューミドメラン Nyū Midomeran), Mido Puncher (ミドパンチャー Mido Panchā).
- Gorenger Machines (ゴレンジャーマシーン Gorenjā Mashīn, 1–54): Gorengers' motorcycles. Armed with explosives that self-destruct to destroy the Navarone, which exploded, taking the Navarone with it.
- Red Machine (レッドマシーン Reddo Mashīn): The Gorenger Machine driven by Akarenger. The Red Machine has no sidecar.
- Blue Machine (ブルーマシーン Burū Mashīn): The Gorenger Machine driven by Aorenger. Kirenger rides in the sidecar.
- Green Machine (グリーンマシーン Gurīn Mashīn): The Gorenger Machine driven by Midorenger. Momorenger rides in the sidecar.
- Star Machines (スターマシーン Sutā Mashīn, 55–84): The replacement for the Gorenger Machines. Like their predecessors, these motorcycles self-destruct to destroy the Black Cross Castle.
- Red Star (レッドスター Reddo Sutā)
- Blue Star (ブルースター Burū Sutā)
- Green Star (グリーンスター Gurīn Sutā)
- Varitank (バリタンク Baritanku, 42–84): A six-wheeled tank with claw arms that rolls out of the beak of the Varidorin. It is usually piloted by Aorenger and Yoko Kato.
- Variccune (バリキキューン Barikikyūn, 69–84): A passenger-carrying balloon for the Gorengers, usually piloted by Momorenger.
- Variblune (バリブルーン Bariburūn, 1–42): A bulldog-like VTOL aircraft, propelled by helicopter blades under the craft. Its "mandibles" can open up and deploy various tools depending on the situation, and can store the Gorenger Machines. It blew up with Iron Man Mask Temujin aboard (but not the Gorengers).
- Varidreen (バリドリーン Baridorīn, 42–84): A peacock-like replacement for the Variblune, usually piloted by Aorenger and Kirenger. It was lost in the Gorengers' destruction of the Black Cross Castle, but a new Varidorin is seen later in JAKQ vs. Gorenger.
- Gorenger Storm (ゴレンジャーストーム Gorenjā Sutōmu): At Akarenger's command, Momorenger would produce a silver ball called the "Rengerball". It was passed among the various Gorengers like a soccer ball, until Akarenger would kick it at the episode's monster, at which point it would cause the monster to explode.
- Gorenger Hurricane (ゴレンジャーハリケーン Gorenjā Harikēn): In this variant, Momorenger would produce a finned, multicolored grenade the size and shape of an American-style football. It was passed among each Gorenger until Aorenger set it up for punting by Akarenger. Once launched towards the monster, it would transform into an object that was usually either anathema to the monster's personality (such as a magnet to disrupt a mechanical clock monster) or a gift (such as a bowl of ramen to a skeleton-themed, starving monster). Either way, the object explodes with the monster caught in the explosion. In episode 44, it is called Gorenger Storm Hurricane. In episode 73, the ball transforms into the Gorengers' weapons (Red Hunter, Yari Vute, Blue Arrows, Ki Sticker, Momo Card and Mido Puncher). In J.A.K.Q. vs. Gorenger, the Gorengers combine the Gorenger Hurricane with J.A.K.Q.'s Big Bomber (ビッグボンバー Biggu bonbā) to create the Gorenger Hurricane Big Bomber (ゴレンジャーハリケーンビッグボンバー Gorenjā Harikēn Biggu bonbā) to destroy the Big Four Robo.
- Gonpachi Edogawa (江戸川 権八 Edogawa Gonpachi): Commander of EAGLE's Japan branch. When operating in public, Gonpachi disguises himself as the cook at the snack shop Gon (ゴン), which is the secret entrance to the Gorengers' headquarters. The shop later becomes the fruit parlor Gon.
- Commander Edogawa is assisted by a trio of secretaries and secret agents: Yoko Kato (加藤 陽子 Katō Yōko) (a.k.a. Agent 007), Tomoko Hayashi (林 友子 Hayashi Tomoko) (a.k.a. Agent 008), and Haruko Nakamura (中村 春子 Nakamura Haruko) (a.k.a. Agent 009). They act behind the scenes but occasionally help the Gorengers in the field.
Black Cross Army
The Black Cross Army (黒十字軍 Kuro Jūjigun) is a terrorist group led by the Black Cross Führer whose goal is the eradication of the human race and the absolute domination of the world. They utilize advanced technology and magic to create an army of superhuman operatives to attack EAGLE and Gorenger. Most of the Black Cross operatives are humans who have been enhanced through surgery. They had various secret bases across the globe. The main headquarters was the flying Black Cross Castle (黒十字城 Kuro Jūjijō), which orbited high above the ground.
- Black Cross Führer (黒十字総統 Kuro Jūji Sōtō): As the leader of the Black Cross Army, he was often referred to as the "Machine Monster". He could not be easily killed by a conventional weapon. He had supernatural powers and was supremely intelligent. He kept his identity a secret even among his generals but revealed himself as a sentient alien machine construct that was part of the Black Cross Castle. He could also disguise himself as either a male or female human. He was destroyed when the Gorengers launched their Five-Star Cassiopea Attack.
- Sun Mask (日輪仮面 Nichirin Kamen, 15–20): The so-called "Star of Africa" (アフリカの星 Afurika no Hoshi). He was a ruthless tyrant who was renowned for his successive victories in Africa. He was called to Japan to eliminate the Gorengers by any means necessary, though his cowardice interferes in his operations.
- Iron Man Mask General Temujin (鉄人仮面テムジン将軍 Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shōgun, 20–42): The so-called "Mongol Demon" (モンゴルの鬼 Mongoru no Oni), he was recruited from Black Cross Army's Gobi Desert operations. A cold and sadistic operative, he is a brilliant tactician and also formed his own army called the Steel Brigade (鋼鉄軍団 Kōtetsu Gundan). Vain and prideful, he often lets his ego disrupt his operations.
- Volcano Mask General Magman (火の山仮面マグマン将軍 Hinoyama Kamen Maguman Shōgun, 42–54): He was recruited from the volcanic Eldgja region in Iceland. He is the leader of the ruthless Eruption Battalion (噴火軍団 Funka Gundan). He commanded his own mobile battle fortress dubbed Moving Fortress Navarone (移動要塞ナバローン Idō Yōsai Nabarōn) (named after the Nazi Cannons off the Greek Aegean Islands in World War II). He had the ability to fire napalm missiles from the top of his "volcano" Mask. He is impervious to the Gorengers' weapons and is a master combatant.
- Commander-in-Chief Golden Mask (ゴールデン仮面大将軍 Gōruden Kamen Daishōgun, 54–84): Black Cross Army's top general. A supernatural entity that was mystically awoken through Black Magic and Black Cross Führer's powers. Golden Mask took command of Black Cross Army's elite Africa Troopers (アフリカ軍団 Afurika Gundan). He is versed in sorcery and keenly interested in astrology. He can repel most of Gorengers' attacks.
- Steel Sword Dragon (鋼鉄剣竜 Kōtetsu Kenryū, Movie): A renegade Black Cross Army operative who was imprisoned by Black Cross Führer for his recklessness and rebelliousness. He was later freed by Black Cross Führer in exchange for his help in destroying the Gorengers. He was an incredibly strong fighter and was impervious to harm. Wielded a mighty dao that could destroy almost any object.
- Zolders (ゾルダー Zorudā): The faceless leather-suited foot soldiers of the Black Cross, altered with enhanced strength and speed and brainwashed to be absolutely loyal. They carry a variety of weapons including machine guns, bazookas and iron swords. Specialized divisions include the Black Cross Camouflaged Ninja (黒十字忍団 Kuro Jūji Nindan) and a squad of mystics who served Black Cross Führer. The Zolders pilot air fighters called Condolers (コンドラー Kondorā) (small) and Battlers (バットラー Battorā) (large). They can be heard shouting "Hoi" when attacking their victims.
||It has been suggested that this section be split out into another article titled List of Himitsu Sentai Gorenger episodes. (Discuss) (May 2016)|
Episodes aired on Saturdays at 7:30 pm JST.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original airdate||Rating|
|1||"The Crimson Sun! The Invincible Gorengers"
"Makka na Taiyō! Muteki Gorenjā" (真赤な太陽！ 無敵ゴレンジャー)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||April 5, 1975||15.2|
|2||"The Blue Earth! The Deforestation Plan of Death"
"Aoi Chikyū! Shi no Sabakuka Keikaku" (青い地球！ 死の砂漠化計画)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||April 12, 1975||14.4|
|3||"Big Counterattack! A Yellow Whirlwind"
"Dai Gyakushū! Kiiroi Tsumujikaze" (大逆襲！ 黄色いつむじ風)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 19, 1975||15.7|
|4||"A Crimson Kick! Smash the Micro Big Plan"
"Kurenai no Kikku! Kudake Mikuro Dai Sakusen" (紅のキック！ 砕けミクロ大作戦)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 26, 1975||16.0|
|5||"Green Anger, Immortal Gas-Human"
"Midori-iro no Ikari Fujimi Gasu Ningen" (みどり色の怒り 不死身ガス人間)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||May 3, 1975||16.2|
|6||"Red Riddle! Chase the Spy Route to the Sea"
"Akai Nazo! Supai Rūto o Umi ni Oe" (赤い謎！ スパイルートを海に追え)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||May 10, 1975||16.8|
|7||"Pink Moonlight! Wolf Corps"
"Pinku no Gekkō! Ookami Butai" (ピンクの月光！ オオカミ部隊)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||May 24, 1975||16.7|
|8||"Black Fear! The Murderous Poison Fang"
"Kuroi Kyōfu! Koroshi no Dokuga" (黒い恐怖！ 殺しの毒牙)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||May 31, 1975||17.4|
|9||"Blue Shadow, Variblune Secret Strategy"
"Aoi Kagebōshi Bariburūn Himitsu Senryaku" (青い影法師 バリブルーン秘密戦略)
|Itaru Orita||Shōzō Uehara||June 7, 1975||17.0|
|10||"The Red Balloon! Wind Speed at 100 Meters"
"Akai Fūsen! Fūsoku Hyaku Mētoru" (赤い風船！ 風速100メートル)
|Itaru Orita||Shōzō Uehara||June 14, 1975||16.8|
|11||"Green Shudder! The Escape From Ear Hell"
"Midori-iro no Senritsu! Mimi Jigoku Kara no Dasshutsu" (みどり色の戦慄！ 耳地獄からの脱出)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||June 21, 1975||18.1|
|12||"Super Energy of Silver! Burning Hell"
"Gin'iro no Chō Enerugī! Shōnetsu Jigoku" (銀色の超エネルギー！ 焦熱地獄)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||June 28, 1975||17.3|
|13||"The Pink Secret! Defeat the Human Bomb"
"Pinku no Himitsu! Ningen Bakudan o Taose" (ピンクの秘密！ 人間爆弾を倒せ)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||July 5, 1975||18.6|
|14||"The Red Coffin! The Mysterious Skull Mansion"
"Akai Kan'oke! Dokuro Yashiki no Kai" (赤い棺桶！ ドクロ屋敷の怪)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||July 12, 1975||17.0|
|15||"The Big Blue Fortress! Big Raging Variblune"
"Aoi Dai Yōsai! Dai Abareru Bariburūn" (青い大要塞！ 大暴れバリブルーン)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||July 26, 1975||13.9|
|16||"White Weirdness! The Eye in the Mirror"
"Shiroi Kaiki! Kagami no Naka no Me" (白い怪奇！ 鏡の中の目)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||August 2, 1975||12.9|
|17||"The Purple Theme Park! A Demonic Cemetery"
"Murasaki-iro no Yūenchi! Akuma no Hakaba" (むらさき色の遊園地！ 悪魔の墓場)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||August 9, 1975||14.0|
|18||"Horrible Black Crusaders! Attack According to the"
"Senritsu no Kuro Jūjigun! Maruhi Sakusen de Kōgeki Seyo" (戦慄の黒十字軍！ ㊙作戦で攻撃せよ)
|Minoru Yamada||Kimio Hirayama||August 16, 1975||13.0|
|19||"A Blue Spark! The Spy Front That Floats in the Sea"
"Aoi Hibana! Umi ni Ukabu Supai Sensen" (青い火花！ 海に浮かぶスパイ戦線)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Keisuke Fujikawa||August 23, 1975||17.1|
|20||"Crimson Fight to the Death! Sunring Mask vs. Red Ranger"
"Makka na Shitō! Nichirin Kamen Tai Akarenjā" (真赤な死闘！ 日輪仮面対アカレンジャー)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||August 30, 1975||17.6|
|21||"Blue Miracle! The Mysterious Airship That Came From Antiquity"
"Aoi Kyōi! Kodai Kara Kita Kai Hikōsen" (青い驚異！ 古代から来た怪飛行船)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 6, 1975||17.9|
|22||"Yellow Air Raid! Nightmares of Atlantis"
"Kiiroi Kūshū! Atorantisu no Akumu" (黄色い空襲！ アトランティスの悪夢)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 13, 1975||15.4|
|23||"Green Dogfight! The End of the Mysterious Airship"
"Midori no Kūshūsen! Kai Hikōsen no Saigo" (みどりの空中戦！ 怪飛行船の最期)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 20, 1975||17.2|
|24||"Blue Anger! Strong Greenmerang, Big Counterattack"
"Aoi Ikari! Kyōretsu Midomeran Dai Gyakushū" (青い怒り！ 強烈ミドメラン大逆襲)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||October 4, 1975||16.2|
|25||"Crimson Fuse! The Eight-eyed Torpedo Attack"
"Makka na Dōkasen! Yatsume no Gyorai Kōgeki" (真赤な導火線！ 八ツ目の魚雷攻撃)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||October 11, 1975||19.0|
|26||"Seven Vein Changes! The Dreadful Poison Expert"
"Aosuji Shichi Henge! Kyōfu no Dokuyaku Hakase" (青すじ七変化！ 恐怖の毒薬博士)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||October 18, 1975||21.0|
|27||"Yellow Object Q! Gorenger Base S.O.S."
"Kiiroi Buttai Kyū! Gorenjā Kichi Esu Ō Esu" (黄色い物体Q！ ゴレンジャー基地SOS)
|Itaru Orita||Shōzō Uehara||October 25, 1975||19.4|
|28||"Big Red Eruption! Infiltrate the Underground Base"
"Akai Dai Funka! Chitei Kichi ni Sennyū Seyo" (赤い大噴火！ 地底基地に潜入せよ)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||November 1, 1975||19.4|
|29||"Red Pursuit! The Mysterious Seal Train"
"Akai Tsuigeki! Nazo no Fūin Ressha" (赤い追撃！ なぞの封印列車)
|Itaru Orita||Hirohisa Soda||November 8, 1975||19.2|
|30||"Golden Columns of Fire! Consecutive Mines, Big Explosions"
"Kin'iro no Hibashira! Kirai Renzoku Dai Bakuhatsu" (金色の火柱！ 機雷連続大爆発)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||November 15, 1975||19.0|
|31||"The Black Challenge! Enrage, Five Stars of Justice"
"Kuroi Chōsenjō! Ikare Itsutsu no Seigi no Hoshi" (黒い挑戦状！ 怒れ五つの正義の星)
|Minoru Yamada||Kimio Hirayama||November 22, 1975||18.0|
|32||"Hot Blue Wind! No Response from Variblune"
"Aoi Neppū! Bariburūn Ōtō-nashi" (青い熱風！ バリブルーン応答なし)
|Hidetoshi Kitamura||Shōzō Uehara||November 29, 1975||20.8|
|33||"The Red Target! A Fake Gorenger Appears"
"Akai Hyōteki! Nisemono Gorenjā Shutsugen" (赤い標的！ にせものゴレンジャー出現)
|Hidetoshi Kitamura||Hirohisa Soda||December 6, 1975||19.6|
|34||"The Yellow Spy Battle! You Saw the Power of YTC"
"Kiiroi Supai Sen! Mita ka Wai Tī Shī no Iryoku" (黄色いスパイ戦！ 見たかYTCの威力)
|Hidetoshi Kitamura||Shōzō Uehara||December 20, 1975||17.6|
|35||"Big Strange Black Bird! Gondola: War Bomber Fleet"
"Kuroi Dai Kaichō! Kondorā Sentō Bakugeki Tai" (黒い大怪鳥！ コンドラー戦斗爆撃隊)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||December 27, 1975||18.8|
|36||"The Fierce Crimson Charge! The Mobile Fortress Invincible Battleship"
"Makka na Mō Shingeki! Ugoku Yōsai Muteki Senkan" (真赤な猛進撃！ 動く要塞無敵戦艦)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 10, 1976||16.9|
|37||"A Pure White Flash! The Black Cross Führer's True Form"
"Masshiroi Senkō! Kuro Jūji Sōtō no Shōtai" (真白い閃光！ 黒十字総統の正体)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 17, 1976||20.0|
|38||"The Blue Cliff! The Search for Demonic Pirate Treasure"
"Aoi Dangai! Akuma no Kaizoku Takara Sagashi" (青い断崖！ 悪魔の海賊宝さがし)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||January 31, 1976||19.5|
|39||"Crimson Sea of Japan! The Mysterious Meteorite's ESP"
"Makka na Nihonkai! Kai Inseki no Chōnōryoku" (真赤な日本海！ 怪隕石の超能力)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||February 7, 1976||20.6|
|40||"The Crimson Vengeance Demon! The Pink Ranger From Hell"
"Kurenai no Fukushū-ki! Jigoku no Momorenjā" (紅の復讐鬼！ 地獄のモモレンジャー)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||February 14, 1976||19.6|
|41||"Big Black Counterattack! The Battle of Tottori Dune"
"Kuroi Dai Gyakushū! Tottori Sakkyū no Kōbōsen" (黒い大逆転！ 鳥取砂丘の攻防戦)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||February 28, 1976||22.3|
|42||"The Black Ironman Dies! Farewell, Variblune"
"Kuro no Tetsujin Shisu! Saraba Bariburūn" (黒の鉄人死す！ さらばバリブルーン)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||March 13, 1976||17.1|
|43||"The Crimson Phoenix! Enter, the Invincible Varidorin"
"Makka na Fushichō! Muteki Baridorīn Tōjō" (真赤な不死鳥！ 無敵バリドリーン登場)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||March 20, 1976||15.4|
|44||"Blue Multi-Purpose Tank! Varitank Launches"
"Aoi Bannō Sensha! Baritanku Hasshin" (青い万能戦車！ バリタンク発進)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||March 27, 1976||18.5|
|45||"Dark Sword Shark! Attack of Marine Hitmen"
"Ankoku no Ken-zame! Umi no Koroshiya Shūrai" (暗黒の剣鮫！ 海の殺し屋襲来)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 3, 1976||18.7|
|46||"Black Super Express! Locomotive Mask's Big Rampage"
"Kuroi Chōtokkyū! Kikansha Kamen Dai Bōsō" (黒い超特急！ 機関車仮面大暴走)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 10, 1976||19.0|
|47||"Big Red Counterattack! Angry Gorenger"
"Akai Dai Gyakushū! Ikari no Gorenjā" (赤い大逆襲！ 怒りのゴレンジャー)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||April 17, 1976||16.5|
|48||"The Black Supply Depot! Close Call at the Theme Park"
"Kuroi Hokyū Kichi! Yūenchi Kiki-ippatsu" (黒い補給基地！ 遊園地危機一髪)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||April 24, 1976||16.4|
|49||"The Big Green Escape! The Swastika's Trick Play"
"Midori no Dai Dassō! Manji no Torikku Purei" (みどりの大脱走！ 卍のトリックプレイ)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||May 1, 1976||18.5|
|50||"The Blue-Winged Secret! Dangerous Varidorin"
"Aoi Tsubasa no Himitsu! Ayaushi Baridorīn" (青い翼の秘密！ 危うしバリドリーン)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||May 8, 1976||15.6|
|51||"The Making of Blue Counterfeit Money! The Sunset Gunman"
"Aoi Nisesatsu-zukuri! Yūhi no Ganman" (青いニセ札づくり！ 夕陽のガンマン)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||May 15, 1976||14.6|
|52||"The Pink Telephone Demon! The Murderous Dial"
"Pinku no Denwa-ki! Koroshi no Daiyaru" (ピンクの電話鬼！ 殺しのダイヤル)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||May 29, 1976||15.4|
|53||"The Red Home Run King! The Deadly Number 1"
"Akai Hōmu Ran Ō! Hissatsu no Sebangō Ichi" (赤いホームラン王！ 必殺の背番号1)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||June 5, 1976||16.4|
|54||"Crimson Challenge! Fire Mountain's Last Big Eruption"
"Makka na Chōsen! Hi no Yama Saigo no Dai Funka" (真赤な挑戦！ 火の山最期の大噴火)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||June 19, 1976||14.6|
|55||"The Gold-Colored Daishogun! Tutankamen's Curse"
"Kin Iro no Daishōgun! Tsutankāmen no Noroi" (金色の大将軍！ ツタンカーメンの呪い)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||July 3, 1976||16.3|
|56||"Blue Summer Vacation! A Demon's Killing Beach"
"Aoi Natsuyasumi! Ma no Satsujin Kaigan" (青い夏休み！ 魔の殺人海岸)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||July 10, 1976||15.7|
|57||"The Black Encircling Net! Five-Faced Peggy"
"Kuroi Hōi-mō! Itsutsu no Kao no Pegī" (黒い包囲網！ 五つの顔のペギー)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||July 31, 1976||8.7|
|58||"Crimson Ambition! His Excellency the Führer's Gold Castle"
"Makka na Yabō! Sōtō Kakka no Ōgon-jō" (真赤な野望！ 総統閣下の黄金城)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||August 7, 1976||9.8|
|59||"The Crimson South! The Mysterious Big Gold Plan"
"Makka na Nangoku! Nazo no Gōrudo Dai Sakusen" (真赤な南国！ 謎のゴールド大作戦)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||September 4, 1976||11.5|
|60||"Blue Inland Sea! The Floating Secret Fortress Island"
"Aoi Setonaikai! Ukabu Himitsu Yōsai-tō" (青い瀬戸内海！ 浮ぶ秘密要塞島)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||September 11, 1976||12.7|
|61||"The Pink KO Punch! End Ball Game"
"Momoiro no Kei Ō Panchi! Endo Bōru Shōbu" (桃色のKOパンチ！ エンドボール勝負)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||September 18, 1976||11.4|
|62||"The White Mystery! The Trap of the Grim Reaper's Mansion"
"Shiroi Kaiki! Shinigami Kan no Wana" (白い怪奇！ 死神館の罠)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||September 25, 1976||16.0|
|63||"A Flash of Black Lightning! The Protruding Cannon"
"Kuroi Denkōsekka! Tobidasu Taihō" (黒い電光石火！ 飛び出す大砲)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||October 2, 1976||12.5|
|64||"Blue UFO!! The Space Army's Big Invasion"
"Aoi Yūfō!! Uchū Gundan Dai Shūrai" (青いUFO！！ 宇宙軍団大襲来)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||October 16, 1976||15.1|
|65||"The Crimson Suicide Squad!! The Crowded Fight at Black Cross Castle"
"Makka na Kesshitai!! Naguri Komi Kuro Jūji-jō" (真赤な決死隊！！ 殴りこみ黒十字城)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||October 23, 1976||11.6|
|66||"The Red Hostage Exchange!! Battlers' Big Charge"
"Akai Hitojichi Kōkan!! Battorā Dai Shūgeki" (赤い人質交換！！ バットラー大爆撃)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||October 30, 1976||15.9|
|67||"Crimson Special Attack!! Yellow Ranger Dies at Sunset"
"Makka na Tokkō!! Kirenjā Yūhi ni Shisu" (真赤な特攻！！ キレンジャー夕陽に死す)
|Michio Konishi||Shōzō Uehara||November 6, 1976||13.9|
|68||"The Pink Rebellion!! The Big Attack of Needle-Needle-Needle"
"Pinku no Hanran!! Hari-hari-hari no Dai Kōgeki" (ピンクの反乱！！ 針・針・針の大攻撃)
|Michio Konishi||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||November 13, 1976||15.7|
|69||"The New Multicolored Vehicle!! Varikyūn Launches"
"Goshiki no Shin-heiki!! Barikkyūn Hasshin" (五色の新兵器！！ バリキキューン発進)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||November 20, 1976||13.2|
|70||"Blue Counterattack!! Stop the Space Express"
"Aoi Gyakushū!! Uchū Tokkyū o Sutoppu Seyo" (青い逆襲！！ 宇宙特急をストップせよ)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||November 27, 1976||17.7|
|71||"Big Crimson Decisive Battle!! The Earth Migration Plan"
"Makka na Dai Kessen!! Chikyū Idō Keikaku" (真赤な大決戦！！ 地球移動計画)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||December 4, 1976||14.2|
|72||"Blue Secrecy!! Baridreen Left to be Dismantled"
"Aoi Kimitsu!! Kaitai Sareta Baridorīn" (青い機密！！ 解体されたバリドリーン)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||December 11, 1976||13.7|
|73||"Black Whirlwind!! It's a Contest! A Straight Line"
"Kuroi Tsumujikaze!! Shōbu da! Itchokusen" (黒いつむじ風！！ 勝負だ！ 一直線)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Shōzō Uehara||December 18, 1976||14.9|
|74||"Freezing Blue Wave!! The Plan to Freeze Earth"
"Aoi Daikanpa!! Chikyū Kōrizuke Sakusen" (青い大寒波！！ 地球氷づけ作戦)
|Kōichi Takemoto||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||December 25, 1976||16.8|
|75||"Fiery Crimson Hell!! Stove Mask's Conspiracy"
"Makka na Kaen Jigoku!! Sutōbu Kamen no Inbō" (真赤な火炎地獄！！ ストーブ仮面の陰謀)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 8, 1977||13.0|
|76||"Crimson Infiltration!! Did You See Tsuyoshi Kaijou?"
"Makka na Sennyū!! Kimi wa Kaijō Tsuyoshi o Mita ka?" (真赤な潜入！！ 君は海城剛を見たか?)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||January 15, 1977||12.7|
|77||"Black Fear!! The Bloodsucking Snake-Woman"
"Kyūketsu Hebi Onna" (黒い恐怖！！ 吸血へび女)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||January 22, 1977||14.0|
|78||"Black Jamming!! A Primeval Roar"
"Genshi no Otakebi" (黒い妨害電波！！ 原始の雄叫び)
|Minoru Yamada||Susumu Takaku & Hikaru Arai||January 29, 1977||14.5|
|79||"Crimson Pursuit!! The Formless Assassin's True Form"
"Makka na Tsuiseki!! Sugata-naki Ansatsusha no Shōtai" (真赤な追跡！！ 姿なき暗殺者の正体)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||February 5, 1977||15.4|
|80||"Crimson Crossing in Enemy Territory! Escape to Hope"
"Makka na Tekichū Ōdan! Kibō e no Dasshutsu" (真赤な敵中横断！ 希望への脱出)
|Minoru Yamada||Hirohisa Soda||February 12, 1977||15.3|
|81||"Black Doubt!! The Murder Spy's Trap"
"Kuroi Giwaku!! Satsujin Supai no Wana" (黒い疑惑！！ 殺人スパイの罠)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||February 19, 1977||13.8|
|82||"Black Magician!! Mystery of the Dollhouse?!"
"Kuroi Majutsushi!! Ningyōkan no Kai?!" (黒い魔術師！！ 人形館の怪?！)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Hirohisa Soda||February 26, 1977||13.9|
|83||"Orange First Love!! The Roaring Megalopolis"
"Orenji-iro no Hatsukoi!! Hoeru Daitokai" (オレンジ色の初恋！！ 吼える大都会)
|Katsuhiko Taguchi||Shōzō Uehara||March 12, 1977||14.4|
|84||"Great Crimson Victory!! Shine Forever, Five Stars"
"Makka na Daishōri!! Towa ni Kagayake Itsutsu Boshi" (真赤な大勝利！！ 永久に輝け五ツ星)
|Minoru Yamada||Shōzō Uehara||March 26, 1977||11.8|
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Movie (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā) (movie version of episode 6)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Blue Fortress (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 青い大要塞 Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Aoi Daiyōsai) (movie version of episode 15)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Red Death Match (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 真赤な猛進撃！ Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Makka na Mōshingeki!) (movie version of episode 36)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: Fire Mountain's Final Explosion (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 火の山最後の大噴火 Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Hi no Yama Saigo no Daifunka) (movie version of episode 54)
- Himitsu Sentai Gorenger: The Bomb Hurricane (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー 爆弾ハリケーン！ Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā: Bakudan Harikēn!)
- J.A.K.Q. Dengekitai vs. Gorenger (ジャッカー電撃隊VSゴレンジャー Jakkā Dengekitai tai Gorenjā)
The series was adapted into a manga written and drawn by Ishinomori and published in Weekly Shōnen Sunday magazine from May 4, 1975 to August 17, 1975. In this series, the Gorengers are all teenagers and Tsuyoshi's father is the head of EAGLE's Kanto branch. Tsuyoshi is given the Akarenger outfit by his father before he is murdered by the Black Cross Army. Tsuyoshi becomes Akarenger and recruits the others to become the Gorengers and avenge his father's death.
- Tsuyoshi Kaijo (海城 剛 Kaijō Tsuyoshi): Naoya Makoto (誠 直也 Makoto Naoya)
- Akira Shinmei (新命 明 Shinmei Akira): Hiroshi Miyauchi (宮内 洋 Miyauchi Hiroshi)
- Daita Oiwa (大岩 大太 Ōiwa Daita): Baku Hatakeyama (畠山 麦 Hatakeyama Baku)
- Daigoro Kumano (熊野 大五郎 Kumano Daigorō): Jirō Daruma
- Peggy Matsuyama (ペギー 松山 Pegī Matsuyama): Lisa Komaki (小牧 リサ Komaki Risa)
- Kenji Asuka (明日香 健二 Asuka Kenji): Yukio Itō
- Commander Gonpachi Edogawa (江戸川 権八 Edogawa Gonpachi): Toshio Takahara
- Yoko Kato (加藤 陽子 Katō Yōko)/Zero Zero Seven: Eri Kanuma
- Tomoko Hayashi (林 友子 Hayashi Tomoko)/Zero Zero Eight: Megumi Shiragawa
- Haruko Nakamura (中村 春子 Nakamura Haruko)/Zero Zero Nine: Miki Honda
- Taro Kato: Hiroyuki Konuma
- Black Cross Führer (黒十字総統 Kuro Jūji Sōtō): Mitsuo Andō (Episodes 1-55), Nobuo Yana (Episodes 54-55 (voice), 56-84 (actor and voice actor))
- Gon (ゴン, voice): Saiko Kogawa
- Sun Mask (日輪仮面 Nichirin Kamen, voice): Hiroshi Masuoka (増岡 弘 Masuoka Hiroshi)
- General Iron Mask Temujin (鉄人仮面テムジン将軍 Tetsujin Kamen Temujin Shōgun, voice): Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō)
- General Fire Mountain Mask Magman (火の山仮面マグマン将軍 Hinoyama Kamen Maguman Shōgun, voice): Eisuke Yoda (依田英助 Yoda Eisuke, 42–45), Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō, 46–54)
- Great General Golden Mask (ゴールデン仮面大将軍 Gōruden Kamen Daishōgun, voice): Shōzō Iizuka (飯塚 昭三 Iizuka Shōzō)
- Narrator: Nobuo Tanaka (田中 信 Tanaka Nobuo, 1–14): Tōru Ōhira (大平 透 Ōhira Tōru, 15–84)
- Captain Kaijo (Tsyuoshi's older brother) (1): Ryuji Hayami
- Kindergarten Teacher (1): Kyoko Matsuya
- Dr. Kudo (2, 11, 70): Ren Yamamoto (ep 2), Hiroshi Unayama (eps 11, 70)
- Black Cross' Scientist (3): Yoshikazu Sugi
- EAGLE's Secret Agent 003 (3): Dai Nagasawa
- Dr. Muto (4): Yoshiro Kitahara
- Jade Mask's Subordinate (4): Yasuhiko Uchida
- EAGLE Members (6): Hisashi Kato, Toshiyasu Hitoshi
- Rumi (6): Yukari Kawashima
- Rumi's Parents (6): Reiko Kasahara, Hiroshi Katayama
- Shiraishi (7): Shingo Hiramatsu
- Cop (7)/Butler (14): Takeshi Ueno
- Scott (8): Tony Cetera
- Emi (Scott's Daughter) (8): Amy Okada
- Doctor (8): Takao Nakamura
- Yuki (10): Yukiko Ebina
- Dr. Eguchi (14): Eiji Karasawa
- Dr. Shirataki (14): Keizo Saskawa
- Midori (18): Tomoko Iketani
- Miss Sapphire (19): Yukie Kagawa
- Miss Sapphire's Minions (19): Takeo Shunkai, Haruo Kinoshita
- Dr. Shimizu (21–23)/Ken Ito (The Bomb Hurricane): Kenji Todoroki
- Isamu (21–23): Takeshi Shono
- Opening theme
- "Susume! Gorenger" (進め！ゴレンジャー Susume! Gorenjā, "Proceed! Gorenger")
- Ending themes
- "Himitsu Sentai Gorenger" (秘密戦隊ゴレンジャー Himitsu Sentai Gorenjā)
- "Mi yo!! Gorenger" (見よ!!ゴレンジャー Mi yo!! Gorenjā, "Look!! Gorenger")
- Lyrics: Shotaro Ishinomori
- Composition and Arrangement: Michiaki Watanabe
- Artists: Isao Sasaki and Koorogi '73 with Wilbees
- Episodes: 64–84
In the Philippines, Gorenger was dubbed into English and released as Star Rangers in 1978 and shown on Saturday afternoon on RPN-9. In this version, aside from their color designations, the Gorengers also had numeric designations, in order of their introduction to the enemy prior to battle: Akarenger = Star 1, Aorenger = Star 2, Kirenger = Star 3, Momorenger = Star 4, and Midorenger = Star 5. The series was broadcast in Thailand on Channel 7. In the United States, the original Japanese version was broadcast in Hawaii on Honolulu's KIKU-TV with English subtitles from 1975 through 1976, and the actors made personal appearances to promote the series. An unsubtitled version was also broadcast in California, on Sacramento's KMUV-TV in 1976, San Francisco's KEMO-TV in 1977.
- Super-Sentai.net (in Japanese)