Hinckley Township, Medina County, Ohio
|Hinckley Township, Medina County, Ohio|
|Motto: "Small Town, Big Hearts"|
Location of Hinckley Township in Medina County
|• Total||26.9 sq mi (69.6 km2)|
|• Land||26.7 sq mi (69.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.4 km2)|
|Elevation||1,033 ft (315 m)|
|• Density||252.7/sq mi (97.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086595|
Located in the northeast corner of the county, it borders the following townships and cities:
- North Royalton, Cuyahoga County - north
- Broadview Heights, Cuyahoga County - northeast
- Richfield Township, Summit County - east
- Bath Township, Summit County - southeast corner
- Granger Township - south
- Medina Township - southwest corner
- Brunswick - west
- Brunswick Hills Township - west
No municipalities are located in Hinckley Township.
Name and history
It is the only Hinckley Township statewide.
The township became known across Ohio and the United States as the home of the buzzards. On March 15 of every year, buzzards arrive in large flocks at the town, as if on a very exact biological clock. The town began celebrating the arrival of the birds in 1957, and today as many as 50,000 visitors visit the Hinckley Reservation in the town annually on "Buzzard Day" to witness the return of the avian residents. The event is used to mark the beginning of spring for Hinckley and the surrounding towns.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officer position or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "Hinckley Township". Hinckley Township. Retrieved September 22, 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
-  Ohio Research Office, May 2014.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Buzzard Day". Official Hinckley Township website.