Hind bint Maktoum Al Maktoum
Hind bint Maktoum Al Maktoum
|هند بنت مكتوم آل مكتوم|
|Consort of the Acting President of the United Arab Emirates|
13 May 2022 – 14 May 2022
|President||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Preceded by||Shamsa bint Suhail Al Mazrouei|
|Succeeded by||Salama bint Hamdan Al Nahyan|
|Consort of the Vice President of the United Arab Emirates|
|In role |
5 January 2006
|Vice President||Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum|
|Preceded by||Alia bint Khalifa Al Maktoum|
|Born||12 February 1962|
House of Maktoum
Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum (Arabic: الشيخة هند بنت مكتوم بن ُجمعة آل مكتوم; born 12 February 1962) is the senior wife and consort of Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai. They were married on 26 April 1979. She is the mother of 12 of her husband's thirty children, including his heir apparent, Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum, the Crown Prince of Dubai.
Sheikha Hind is the paternal granddaughter of Sheikh Juma bin Maktoum Al Maktoum, brother of Emir Saeed II of Dubai, grandfather of the current Sheikh. She is also the niece of Sheikh Ahmad Bin Juma Al Maktoum, who died in 2009.
Her mother, Sheikha Shaikha bint Saeed bin Maktoum Al Maktoum (who died on 28 January 2017), was the daughter of Emir Saeed II of Dubai, making Sheikha Hind a first cousin of her husband through her mother as well as second cousin of her husband through her father.
In 1979, at the age of 17, Hind bint Maktoum married her cousin, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, almost 13 years older than her. Their wedding was Dubai's first major public event. Elaborate arrangements were made to celebrate the event. A 20,000 seater stadium was built to host the wedding, which featured displays of horse and camel riding, and an aerobatics display by the Dubai Air Force. The total cost of the wedding celebrations was estimated to be around $100 million. Her photograph has never been shown publicly.
Being the Sheikh's senior wife and consort, Sheikha Hind is the ruling family's chief matriarch and resides with her family in the Zabeel Palace (Ruler's Palace) in Dubai. He is divorced from the rest of the wives. Sheikha Hind oversees the upbringing of her children and the orphans she has adopted.
|Hessa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||6 November 1980 (age 41)|
Sheikh Saeed bin Dalmouk bin Juma Al Maktoum
|Rashid bin Mohammed Al Maktoum||12 November 1981 – 19 September 2015 (aged 33)||Died of a cardiac arrest, aged 33.|
|Hamdan bin Mohammed Al Maktoum||14 November 1982 (age 39)||Crown Prince of Dubai|
|Maktoum bin Mohammed Al Maktoum||24 November 1983 (age 38)||Deputy ruler of Dubai|
|Ahmed bin Mohammed Al Maktoum||7 February 1987 (age 35)||Head of the UAE olympic committee|
|Saeed bin Mohammed Al Maktoum||20 March 1988 (age 34)|
|Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||30 March 1989 (age 33)|
, Crown Prince of Fujairah
|Maryam bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||11 January 1992 (age 30)||Married to Sheikh Khaled bin Mahammad bin Hamdan Al-Nahyan of the Abu Dhabi ruling family|
|Shaikha bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||20 December 1992 (age 29)|
|Futaim bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||22 July 1994 (age 28)|
|Salamah bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||8 August 1999 (age 23)|
|Shamma bint Mohammed Al Maktoum||13 November 2001 (age 20)|
Sheikha Hind Women's Sport Tournament
The tournament was launched on 17 December 2012, at the Dubai World Trade Centre, and was organized by the Women's Sport Committee of the Dubai Sports Council, under the patronage of Sheikha Hind, and the guidance of her son, Sheikh Hamdan, the Crown Prince of Dubai and Chairman of Dubai Sports Council (DSC). The sports tournament is meant to encourage women to come out and actively participate in fitness and sports activities.
Charity work and donations
In January 2013, Sheikha Hind donated three planes to airlift the United Arab Emirates national football team’s fans from Manama in Bahrain to Dubai following UAE's 1-0 victory over Kuwait in the semi-final of the 21st Arabian Gulf Cup.
In June 2013, The Mohammed bin Rashid Charity and Humanitarian Establishment distributed 4100 smart cards of Ramadan Ration by donation of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum in its charitable programmes for the Holy Month of Ramadan, aiming at distributing basic foodstuff to the needy and poor families in the emirate of Dubai and northern areas. Ibrahim Boumelha, Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Foundation, expressed his gratitude and thanks to Sheikha Hind for her moral and material support for various charitable projects, undertaken by the Foundation for the benefit of the citizens and residents expatriates, particularly during Ramadan.
- "Hind Bint Maktoum: Mohammed Bin Rashid's benevolence paints smile on the lips of the deprived". Wakalat Anba'a al-Emarat. 3 January 2010. Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- Maxine Block; Anna Herthe Rothe; Marjorie Dent Candee; Charles Moritz (2008). Current Biography Yearbook. H. W. Wilson Co. p. 22.
- Hartley, Joanna (23 March 2009). "UAE Sheikh Ahmad Bin Juma Al Maktoum dies". Arabianbusiness.com. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Top weddings of all time Sheikh Mohammed al Maktoum of Dubai & Sheikha Hind Bint Maktoum (1979)". MSN News. 21 November 2011. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- Krane, Jim (2009). City of Gold: Dubai and the Dream of Capitalism. Macmillan. pp. 192, 193. ISBN 9781429918992.
- Adams, Tim (28 April 2013). "Sheikh Mohammed: the ruler with real horsepower". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- Wardrop, Murray (15 March 2011). "Sheikh's British palace staff worked in 'culture of fear'". The Telegraph. Retrieved 29 July 2013.
- "Hind bint Maktoum bin Juma Al Maktoum". RootsWeb. Retrieved 20 July 2013.[better source needed]
- Kapadia, Yousuf Saifuddin. "Video: Sheikh Mohammed's daughter gets married in Dubai". www.khaleejtimes.com. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Sheikha Hind Women's Tournament set for grand opening on December 17". Emirates 24/7. 16 December 2012. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- "Sheikha Hind initiative appreciated". UAEFA. 16 January 2013. Archived from the original on 22 May 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2013.
- WAM (26 June 2013). "Mohammed bin Rashid Est. distributes 4100 smart cards of Ramadan Ration by donation of Sheikha Hind bint Maktoum". Emirates 24/7. Retrieved 20 July 2013.