Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
The Hindi Wikipedia (Hindi: हिन्दी विकिपीडिया) is the Hindi edition of Wikipedia. It was launched in July 2003. As of March 2021, it has 146,200 articles. In June 2020, there were 38 million page views, the number of page views has been decreasing since November 2019. On August 30, 2011, it became the first localized edition of Wikipedia in India to surpass 100,000 articles. Hindi, using the Devanagari script, requires complex transliteration aids to be typed on devices. Thus, a Phonetic Roman Alphabet converter is also available on the Hindi Wikipedia, so the Roman keyboard can be used to contribute in Hindi, without having to use any special Hindi-typing software.
Hindi Wikipedia is the second most popular Wikipedia in India after the English version. However, more than the 85% of Wikipedia pageviews by India still go to English. However, between January 2016 and January 2021, the share of Hindi Wikipedia increased from 2% to 8%. Most pageviews come from India. Hindi Wikipedia has more than 1,400 active users. The number of articles is also growing.
Google Translator Toolkit usage
The Hindi Wikipedia was launched on 11 July 2003. In July 2008, Google announced that they had been working with Hindi Wikipedians to translate English language articles into Hindi and had since 2008 translated 600,000 words in Hindi using a combination of Google Translate and manual checking. This coordinated translation contributed to growth for the site.
- 11 July 2003 – Hindi Wikipedia launched
- 25 January 2005 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 1,000.
- 16 January 2007 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 5,000.
- 14 March 2007 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 10,000.
- 6 December 2007 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 15,000.
- 29 May 2008 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 20,000.
- 11 July 2008 – Hindi Wikipedia five years completed.
- 9 May 2009 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 30,000.
- 8 September 2009 – Hindi Wikipedia becomes the largest version of Wikipedia in Indian languages.
- 14 September 2009 – Number of articles on Hindi Wikipedia reached 50,000.
- 13 February 2010 – Hindi Wikipedia has more than 25,000 members.
- 20 June 2010 – Hindi Wikipedia has more than 30,000 members.
- 26 November 2010 – Hindi Wikipedia has more than 37,000 members.
- 29 January 2011 – Hindi Wikipedia has more than 40,000 members.
- 14 August 2011 – Hindi Wikipedia, the number of members exceeds 50,000.
- 30 August 2011 – Number of articles becomes more than 100,000
- 21 December 2019 - Number of articles becomes more than 134,338
Users and editors
|Number of user accounts||Number of articles||Number of files||Number of administrators|
- (in Hindi) Hindi Wikipedia