Hindu Makkal Katchi
|Abbreviation||HMK or IMK|
|Secretary-General||Bharatha matha senthil|
|Split from||Hindu Munnani|
|Headquarters||Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Ideology||Nationality & Spirituality|
Hindu Makkal Katchi (HMK), literally meaning Hindu People's Party, also pronounced as Indu Makkal Katchi (IMK), is a right-wing Hindu nationalist party in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The party also works for the welfare of Hindus in Sri Lanka. The party came into being essentially as a response to the vote-bank politics of DMK and AIADMK. The party believes that "Hinduism is not a religion, it is a way of living" and it's objective is to promote Hindutva in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
- 1 Formation
- 2 Intention
- 3 Movements
- 3.1 Claiming Island free from Srilanka Navy for sake of Tamil Fisherman (2008)
- 3.2 Movement for protection of Tamil Fisherman from Strilankan Navy (2009)
- 3.3 Alleges Actress for their indecent dressing
- 3.4 Converting 1000 Dalit Christians to Hindu (2008)
- 3.5 Opposing Indian PM Modi's Srilanka Vist (2017)
- 4 References
In the early 1980s, Rama Gopalan founded Hindu Munnani as a socio-cultural organization to defend Hinduism and fight for Hindu rights. In the early 1990s, the Jayalalitha-led AIADMK government tilted towards Hindutva in reaction to the vote-bank politics of DMK. It began to back the Ganesh Chaturthi processions and Ram Jyothi Yatras organized by Hindu Munnani in Chennai, Coimbatore and Madurai. During this time Hindu Munnani leader Rama Gopalan became a devotee of Jayalalitha. A section of the Hindu Munnani leadership differed with Rama Gopalan's on this. In 1993, they broke away under the leadership of S.V. Sridhar and formed the Hindu Makkal Katchi. Later the party was led by Arjun Sampath.
Tamil Nadu is one of the culturally enriched state having its own indigenous culture and more than 3000 years old rituals and thousands of years old Shaivite and Vaishnav traditions. Mr. Arjun Sampath, who is now leading leader of this party, claimed, "Tamil Nadu has been suffering under the Dravidian rule for 50 years." Not only in India, Hindu Makkal Katchi also spoke out for Sri Lankan Tamil. In Sri Lanka three fourth people are Sinhalese, in addition to them nearly 15% population are Tamil speaking people and they are mostly Hindus. There these Tamil speaking Hindus are persecuted. Various atrocities were being committed on them. Hindu Makkal Katchi registered strong protest against these atrocities. An appeal was made by Shri. Arjun Sampath of Hindu Makkal KATCHI in. this regard.
Due to various extremist actions the party got repeatedly in conflict with the law. Its leader Arjun Sampath was arrested in 1997 on an attempted murder charge.
Hindu Makkal Katchi staged demonstrations on 29 October 2017 in front of theatres across Tamil Nadu in protest against 'objectionable sentences' about Hindu Temples in actor Vijay's 'Mersal'. HMK leader Arjun Sampath led a demonstration in front of a theatre in Kumbakonam and demanded removal of the 'controversial sentences'. Party activists tore up banners of Vijay and movie director Atlee. In Tiruchirapalli, HMK members staged a demonstration in front of a theatre, while similar protests were held at Ottenchathram in Dindigul and in Chennai. The movie ran into trouble soon after its 18 October 2017 release, coinciding with Diwali, over 'incorrect references' to the Hindu Temples.
In 2009, Tamil fishermen got arrested by Sri Lankan Navy. To protect them, HMK supporters started agitations and pressurized Indian Govt to take responsibility of them and rescue them from Sri Lanka. When former Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram visited Tamil Nadu, HMK supporters showed black flag as central govt failed to rescue Tamil fisherman from Sri Lankan navy. 19 supporters got arrested and removed from Gandhi park area by police. Not only Sri Lanka issue they also sought about handling problems in bilateral relations with Pakistan and China.
Alleges Actress for their indecent dressing
The party also made repeatedly headlines with peaceful describe against women. It pressed charges against the movie stars Kushboo Sundar (2006), Shriya Saran (2008) and Mallika Sherawat (2008) for "indecent dressing" and "offending Hindu values". Party members also harassed women visiting pubs and young couples being out on Valentine's Day.
Converting 1000 Dalit Christians to Hindu (2008)
Nearly 1000 Dalit Christians were reconverted to Hinduism at Tirunelveli town which gains significance in the backdrop 9 March police shootout in which two people were killed when clashes broke out between the members of upper caste Catholics and Dalit Catholics. The party's 5 activists were arrested for indulging in demolition of Periyar E. V. Ramasamy's statue installed in front of the Rajagopuram of Ranganathaswamy Temple situated in Sri Rangam.
Opposing Indian PM Modi's Srilanka Vist (2017)
In 2017, Hindu Makkal Katchi leader strongly opposed the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s second time visit to Sri Lanka next month, where he was going to participate in the United Nations Vesak Celebrations which was held from 12 – 14 May 2017. This ‘International Day of Vesak’ was hosted by the Buddhist-majority country and the commemorations in Colombo was also include an International Buddhist Conference in which over 400 delegates from more than 100 countries.
- "Pay attention towards atrocities on Srilankan Tamil Hindus : Shri. Arjun Sampath - Hindu Janajagruti Samiti". www.hindujagruti.org. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "Rajinikanth will enter politics, says Hindu Makkal Katchi leader who met superstar - Times of India ►". The Times of India. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Parvathy, A.A. (2003). Hindutva, Ideology, and Politics. Deep and Deep Publications. p. 211. ISBN 9788176294508. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- P.G. Rajamohan :Tamil Nadu: The Rise of Islamist Fundamentalism. In Faultlines, Volume 16
- Subramanian, T.S. 1998, ‘A time of troubles’ 7–20 March, Frontline, vol. 15, No. 05. (Online-Kopie)
- "Mersal Row: Members Of Hindu Makkal Katchi Arrested After Protesting Outside Theatre Today - World Hinduism". World Hinduism. 2017-10-28. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- "Pro-Hindu outfit HMK stages demonstration against 'Mersal'". Outlook. Retrieved 2018-07-17.
- Hindu Makkal Katchi members arrested. The Hindu, 16 August 2008
- Hindu Makkal Katchi TN secretary held Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine. at Chennai-Online, 23 August 2009
- "Hindu Makkal Katchi activists arrested". The Hindu. 2009-10-03. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2018-07-18.
- HMK alleges Mallika Sherawat of misconduct at news.oneindia.in on 2 May 2008 (retrieved 24 September 2009)
- Moral police targets Mallika Sherawat. The Tribune (Online Edition), 2 May 2008
- Jeremy Page: Young Hindutuva members square up to nationalists over Valentine's Day. The Times, 14 February 2009
- "1,000000 Dalit Christians to reconvert to Hinduism in TN - Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "Periyar statue damaged at Srirangam, tension in town". The Hindu. 2006-12-08. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 2016-03-30.
- "Hindu outfit opposes Narendra Modi's Lankan visit". Struggle for Hindu Existence. 2017-04-25. Retrieved 2018-07-17.