Hinduism in Finland
|Hinduism by country|
Indians constitute 0.220% of the total population of Finland, though it is unknown what percentage of these Indians are Hindu, versus other major Indian religions. An estimated 250 Tamils live in Finland. Finland acquired a significant Hindu population for the first time around the turn of the 21st century due to the recruitment of information technology workers from India by companies such as Nokia.
In 2009, Hindu leaders in Finland protested the inclusion of a photograph that "denigrates Hinduism" in an exhibit at the Kiasma Museum of Contemporary Art. The museum later removed the reference to Hinduism from the photograph.
Hindu Groups in Finland
- Ananda Marga including the Sunrise Kindergarten in Espoo
- Chinmoy Mission
- Brahma Kumaris, Helsinki
- Sathya Sai Organisation
There is an International Society for Krishna Consciousness temple near Helsinki city centre. The Finnish Government has not sanctioned any land for ISKCON or any other kind of Hindu temple. Some residents formed a trust for a Hindu temple project in Finland but without the support of government and other business institutions, it was not able to progress with its plan. Hindu festivals like Holi and Diwali have been celebrated in Finland and are gaining more popularity.
- Chapter 11: Other Countries of Europe (PDF). Report of the High Level Committee on the Indian Diaspora. Ministry of External Affairs. 19 December 2001. Retrieved 2014-12-30.
- [dead link]
- http://www.nordiclabourjournal.org/i-fokus/in-focus-2010/theme-joint-nordic-drive-for-more-foreign-labour/finlands-welfare-system-appeals-to-indian-it-engineers%7CNordic Labour Journal: Finland's welfare system appeals to Indian IT engineers
- Finland Prime Minister office forwards for further action Hindus request of nude photo removal. American Chronicle.
- Heeding agitated Hindus, Helsinki museum removes word “Hinduism” from nude man photo. PR Log.
- "Yoga is HOT in Finland!". Thaindian News. Sampurn Wire. August 22, 2009. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- Anandakrpa Ac., Avtk. (Nov 2011). "Sunrise Kindergarten Finland". Gurukula Network. Ananda Marga Gurukula (33). Retrieved March 2014. Check date values in:
- Finland Hindus To Build a Temple
- Sivalingam, 63, of Helsinki, was the first Srilankan Hindu to arrive in Finland
- Amma organization in Finland
- Finland: Few individuals go North by Urmila Goel
- ISKCON Finland Finnish Language Website
- Blissful Scenes from Sri Krsna Janmastami and Srila Prabhupada Avirbhava Mahotsava in Helsinki, Finland
- Finland´s First Ratha Yatra Festival In Helsinki May 27th 2006