Hinduism in Norway
|Source: 1998 to 2000-  |
Part of a series on
In Norway 0.145% of the total population (or about 7,300 people as of 2014) are Hindus. Most of these Hindus are from South Asian descent with the majority(around 75%) of those being Tamil Hindus from Sri Lanka.
Ethnic Background of Hindus in Norway
Diaspora Hindus in Norway include Tamil Families, Punjabi families, U.P families, Gujaratis and Bengalis.
Among the Sri Lankan Tamils, Hindus constituted a large number, around 5000-7000 persons.
Hindu Associations in Norway
- Sanatan Mandir Sabha is a Hindu religious association in eastern Norway with around 900 members.
- The Sanatan Mandir Sabha SMS was registered on April 14, 1988.
- Gujaratis had formed a Gujarati cultural association in the Oslo area.
- Tamil Cultural center for children who were born in or who have immigrated to Norway exists in Norway. This center has the following activities: 1) Teaching Tamil, 2) Teaching religion (Hinduism and Christianity), 3) Promoting drama, dance, music and sports.
Hindus Temples in Norway
There are currently 5 Hindu Temples in Norway.
- Hindu Sanatan Mandir Temple is located in Drammen. (link to there website www.drammenmandir.com)
- Sanatan Mandir Sabha Temple is located at Slemmestad, outside of Oslo.
- The Sivasubramanayr Alaym(also known as the Norwegian Hindu Centre) in Ammerud.(in Oslo)
- The Bergen Hindu Sabha in Danmarksplass.(in Bergen)
- Sri Tiller Ganesha Temple in Trondheim
Hindu Festivals in Norway
Most major Hindu festivals such as Diwali are celebrated annually in Norway.
Hindus in Norway, mainly Tamil Hindus from Sri Lanka, celebrate the 12-day annual temple festival, the Mahotsav of which processions is the main feature. It is the main annual ritual gathering of the Tamil Hindus in Norway.
For the 2015 Holi festival in Oslo, there will be Sniti Mishra performing a live concert. The festival, due to take place on 21 March 2015, is organized annually by the Norway branch of the Vishwa Hindu Parishad.
Hindu Organisations in Norway
Vishwa Hindu Parishad is registered in Norway.
ISKCON has a Centre in Norway Address- Oslo, Norway, Jonsrudvej 1G, 0274, Oslode presence.
- International Religious Freedom Report 2006, Norway
- Sanatan Mandir Sabha Hindu temple in Slemmestad
- A New Voice in European Hinduism. Rooting Tamil Traditions from Sri Lanka
- Processions, Public Space and Sacred Space in the Sri Lankan Tamil Diaspora in Norway