Hinduism in Réunion
|Part of a series on|
Hinduism in Réunion constitutes a significant part of the island's population. The island of Réunion is home to approximately 200,000 Indian descendants amongst the roughly 800,000 strong population. Yet, uncertainty as to the exact number of Hindus in the country results from the fact that many of the members of the Indian population cross-identify with Roman Catholic, Muslim and Hindu faiths.
The history of Hinduism in Réunion stretches back to the mid- and late-nineteenth century. Many early Indian arrivals took on Christian names and had their children baptised in the Catholic Church at the insistence of their employers, owners or the government administration. Even so, they did not abandon Hinduism in the process.
With the exception of the Muslims who came to the island from Gujarat, all Indians were routinely reassigned as Catholics, more or less by force. Many of them appear to have been converted to that faith during the period of indenture.
In recent years, there has been a revival of Hinduism among members of the Tamil community. This has led to the establishment of many temples and ashrams. An interesting feature, likely peculiar to Réunion, is the simultaneous observance by some ethnic Indians of both Catholic and Hindu rites, a practice that has earned them the sobriquet of being "socially Catholic and privately Hindu."
The French government gathers no statistics on religious affiliation. Because of this, it is impossible to know accurately how many Hindus there are in Réunion. Estimates of practicing Hindus vary from 6.7% to 10.7%. Most of the large towns have a functioning Hindu temple.
References and notes
- Himalayan Academy (November 1991). "Reunion Hindus Try For a Revival". Hinduism Today. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- Singhvi, L. M; R. L. Bhatia; J. R. Hiremath; Baleshwar Agarwal (18 August 2000). "Réunion" (PDF). High Level Committee on Indian Diaspora. Non Resident Indians and Persons of Indian Origin Division, Ministry of External Affairs. pp. Chapter 6. Retrieved 2007-03-21.
- Indian diaspora
- Country Profile: Reunion (Department of Reunion) at the Wayback Machine (archived 13 October 2007)
- Peoples of Africa: Réunion-Somalia. Marshall Cavendish. 2001. pp. 412–. ISBN 978-0-7614-7166-0.
- Indentured immigration and social accommodation in La Réunion by Christian Ghasarian, University of California-Berkeley