Hinsdale South High School
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article has an unclear citation style.March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)(
|Hinsdale South High School|
7401 Clarendon Hills Road
|School type||public secondary|
|School district||Hinsdale Township High School District 86|
|Principal||Arwen Pokorny Lyp|
|Average class size||19.4|
|School colour(s)||black |
|Athletics conference||West Suburban Conference|
|radio station||WHSD 88.5 FM|
Hinsdale South High School, or HSHS, and locally referred to as "South," is a public four-year high school located at the corner of 75th Street and Clarendon Hills Road in Darien, Illinois, a southwestern suburb of Chicago, Illinois, in the United States.The South campus draws its students from the nearby communities of Darien (east of Cass Ave.), and portions of Burr Ridge, Willowbrook, and Westmont. It is part of Hinsdale Township High School District 86, which also includes Hinsdale Central High School. Hinsdale South is home to the LaGrange Area Department of Special Education (LADSE) deaf and hard of hearing program.
In 1962, a referendum for a second high school was passed, and Hinsdale South opened its doors in the fall of 1965 to 418 freshmen and sophomores. A new wing of school, solely designated for the Science department, was opened to students at the beginning of the 2003-2004 school year. The wing includes eight new classrooms, preparatory rooms, a new science department office, and a greenhouse. The school's library contains four computer areas/laboratories.
Hinsdales South's class of 2008 had an average composite ACT score of 22.4, 1.9 points above the state average. 98.8% of the senior class graduated. Hinsdale South made Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) on the Prairie State Achievements Examination, which with the ACT comprises the state assessments used to fulfill the federal No Child Left Behind Act. The school is currently listed as requiring "corrective action" under the federal mandate, and on the first year of academic watch by the state.
According to Newsweek's 2010 "Complete List of 1,600 Top High Schools" (which uses the Challenge Index to rank schools), Hinsdale South ranked #495, making it the 10th best high school in Illinois. This was the sixth year in a row South had made the list, previously being ranked #1506 (2009), #543 (2008), #591 (2007), #711 (2006), and #627 (2005).
The deaf/hard of hearing program provides students in the DuPage West Cook Regional Program educational/support services. Included in these services are: interpreters, social work services, tutorial, program assistants, speech and language services, behavior supports, a vocational support team, self-supporting classes taught by teachers in the deaf and hard of hearing program, and guidance counselors who specialize in this program.
Technology in the classroom
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The school currently provides all teachers with Tablet PCs, and the school is fully equipped with wireless internet technologies. Tablet PC carts and stations are also available to students. Also, students at Hinsdale South are allowed the option of bringing a computer laptop or personal digital assistant for note taking and word processing. Carts with 20+ laptops each are available for check-out to teachers to provide to their students for use during class time. As of 2004, the school has four large computer labs located in its library. As of the 2018-19 school year, the school supplies every student with a Chromebook (generally from the brand Lenovo) for educational purposes both inside and out of the classroom.
Hinsdale South is a member of the West Suburban Conference. The school is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) which governs most sports and competitive activities in the state. The team representing the school are stylized as the Hornets.
The school sponsors interscholastic teams for young men and women in: basketball, bowling, cross country, golf, gymnastics, soccer, swimming & diving, tennis, track & field, volleyball, and water polo. Young men may compete in baseball, football, and wrestling, while women may compete in badminton, cheerleading, danceline and softball. While not sponsored by the IHSA, the Athletic Department also sponsors a dance team for young women. The school also sponsors entries in the Special Olympics.
The following teams won their respective IHSA sponsored state championship tournament or meet:
- Badminton: State Champions (1998—99, 2004—05, 2005—06) (All co-championships)
- Baseball: State Champions (1981—82)
Hinsdale South engages in two rivalries in football. The annual game against district rival Hinsdale Central is for the Doings Cup. The winner of the annual game with Downers Grove South High School is awarded the Rebel Cannon trophy.
There are seven gyms, including a multipurpose gym used for Physical Education, assemblies, and volleyball and basketball games. There is also a pool, wrestling gym, gymnastics gym, field house, a fitness center/gym, and a general use gym. Outdoor facilities include a new track, a stadium, 4 baseball/softball diamonds, soccer fields and nine tennis courts.
- Barbara Alyn Woods (class of 1980) is an actress best known for her work on television playing the character Deb Scott on the series One Tree Hill.
- Matt Walsh (comedian) (class of 1982) Actor, comedian, director, and writer
- Kevin Kasper (class of 1996) was an NFL wide receiver (2001—09). He was a member of the Super Bowl XXXIX Champion New England Patriots.
- District 86 History; accessed 17 July 2009
- "Administration/Principal". Retrieved 2017-08-24.
- Staff listing for HSHS; accessed 17 July 2009
- https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/SchoolDirectory.aspx?url=/data/school/b.htm IHSA School Directory
- Class of 2008 Illinois School Report Card; accessed 17 July 2009
- "Page Not Found". ihsa.org. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- List of media related activities at HSHS; accessed 17 July 2009
- WHSD homepage; accessed 17 July 2009
- District 86 History
- Hinsdale South High School Profile Page - Newsweek; newsweek.com; accessed 14 June 2010
- "Deaf & Hard of Hearing / Documents & Resources". hs.hinsdale86.org. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- Tribune, Chicago. "Deaf program at Hinsdale South attracts Hornets' linebacker". chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- HSHS Athletic Department; accessed 17 July 2009
- "Records & History". ihsa.org. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- "Records & History". ihsa.org. Retrieved 8 April 2016.
- Stone, Bill; Hinsdale Central takes Doings Cup; 19 September 2008; Chicago Sun-Times; accessed 17 July 2009
- Davis, Jeff; Hornets' playoff plan as simple as 1-2-3; 4 October 2007; The Doings Weekly; the Hornets remained upbeat following their 33-0 loss to undefeated host Downers Grove South Friday in a West Suburban Conference Gold Division battle for the Rebel Cannon.; accessed 17 July 2009
- Herguth, Bob; Interview: Barbara Alyn Woods; 15 February 1993; Chicago Sun-Times; "When I graduated from Hinsdale South, I got the award ..." ; accessed 17 July 2009
- Jenner, Alexa; First athlete, colonel inducted into South Hall of Fame; 26 November 2008; Darien Suburban Life; accessed 17 July 2009
- Vorva, Jeff; Just call Kevin Kasper 'Rudy Xtreme' ; 13 February 2009; Triblocal.com; The former Hinsdale South receiver is settling down after a long career in football.; accessed 17 July 2009