HipGuide is a city guide, founded in 1998 by former Accenture consultant, Syl Tang. Over 562,300 hipsters, including various celebrities such as Sarah Jessica Parker and Jay-Z read it. Nielsen NetRatings audited April 2009 The internet site also has HipBites, an emailed magazine that reports on what’s new in the way of hotels, bars, restaurants, and shopping in one of its nine flagship cities. Additionally, the magazine often spotlights other more far-flung cities, such as Sydney or Shanghai, and also includes interviews with authors, special deals for readers etc.
One of Yahoo’s and the BBC’s recommended city guides, HipGuide is read by more than a thousand media outlets, amongst them the New York Times, Vogue, The Wall Street Journal, Harper’s Bazaar and the Financial Times. HipGuide also supply original editorial for a variety of media companies, detailing trends, new openings, fashion fads and so on. Tang herself is involved in consulting dozens of product companies interested in enticing a target audience that, like HipGuide readers, will pay to stay one step ahead of the pack. Most notably, she created a plan to help the State of Michigan retain and attract trend-setters as part of their Cool Cities Initiative. According to Google, HipGuide gets more than 2 million hits per month.
- Syl Tang is a New York-based trend tracker and futurist.
- In addition to HipGuide she frequently writes for the Financial Times, She has also been a columnist and contributor to Vogue, Forbes, Star Magazine, AM New York, The New York Times and InStyle Magazine.
- Tang appears as herself in the TV series The House of Boateng, a show produced by Ben Silverman, who is behind The Office, Ugly Betty and The Tudors.
- Tang was the first American journalist to cover Sass & Bide
- Tang won the WJA  Awards of Excellence 2016 Media Award 
- Tang is the author of Disrobed  which focuses on the areas of sociology, economics, and social psychology, first published by Rowman & Littlefield in 2017
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (January 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Official website
- , Search results on FT.com for Tang's pieces - trend, style, watch and jewellery articles
- Quest for It, a blog interview from Fashion Week February 2007
- HipGuide, interviewed in Sportswear International
- Gorkana profile of HipGuide
- JCK Magazine profile of Syl Tang and HipGuide
- An interview found on 1490 AM WGCH where Syl Tang talks about current trends in fashion
- Tang, interviewed on Coutorture about the influence of blogs
- Tang, a fashionable girl about town
- An interview with Tang on Ladies Who Launch about how she started the company
- Allnightclubs.com interview of Tang about NYC nightlife
- Eater.com on HipGuide: the Bungalow 8 of online city guides, if Shecky's is a random frat bar in Murray Hill.
- HipGuide lipstick colour by makeup company Three Custom Color