Hippocampus (Dungeons & Dragons)
|First appearance||Monster Manual (1977)|
The hippocampus appeared in second edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (1989), and is reprinted in the Monstrous Manual (1993). The hippocampus was further detailed in "The Ecology of the Hippocampus" in Dragon #273 (July 2000).
The hippocampus is a prized marine steed, with the upper body of a horse and the long rear body of a great fish.
Tyler Linn of Cracked.com identified the hippocampus as one of "15 Idiotic Dungeons and Dragons Monsters" in 2009, stating: "The Hippocampus just doesn't seem like it would pose much of a threat. It sort of looks like an ancillary character from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, like its name would be MerMare or Aquaestiran and it would help the Turtles reach Atlantis before the city gets plundered by Bebop and Rocksteady.
That makes us think this creatures was intended to be one of the good guys, but would something working for the forces of good have that douchey chin beard?"
- Gygax, Gary. Monster Manual (TSR, 1977)
- Cook, David, et al. Monstrous Compendium Volume Two (TSR, 1989)
- Stewart, Doug, ed. Monstrous Manual (TSR, 1993)
- Cagle, Eric, Jesse Decker, Jeff Quick, Rich Redman, and James Wyatt. Arms and Equipment Guide (Wizards of the Coast, 2003)
- Baker, Richard, Joseph D. Carriker, and Jennifer Clarke-Wilkes. Stormwrack (Wizards of the Coast, 2005)
|This Dungeons & Dragons article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|