Joseph Louis Hippolyte Bellangé
17 January 1800
|Died||10 April 1866 (aged 66)|
|Known for||battle painter|
Joseph Louis Hippolyte Bellangé (17 January 1800 – 10 April 1866) was a French battle painter and printmaker. His art was influenced by the wars of the first Napoleon, and while a youth, he produced several military drawings in lithography. He afterwards pursued his systematic studies under Gros, and with the exception of some portraits, devoted himself exclusively to battle-pieces. In 1824, he received a second class medal for an historical picture, and in 1834 the decoration of the Legion of Honour, of which Order he was made an officer in 1861. He also gained a prize at the Paris Universal Exhibition of 1855.
- Battle Scene (circa 1825)
- The Entry of the French into Mons.
- The Day after the Battle of Jemappes.
- The Passage of the Mincio.
- The Battle of Fleurus (at Versailles).
- A Duel in the Time of Richelieu.
- The Battle of Wagram (at Versailles).
- The Taking of Teniah de Muzaia (in Salon of 1841, and now at Versailles).
- Taking Russian Ambuscades (1857).
- Episode of the Taking of the Malakoff (1859).
- The Two Friends — Sebastopol, 1855 (exhibited in Salon of 1861, at London in 1862, and at Paris in 1867).
- The Soldier's Farewell (in Leipsic Museum).
- Military Review Under the Empire (1810) (aka Showing the Troops; 1862; in Louvre, not on display)
- The Soldier's Return (in Leipsic Museum).
- The Return of Napoleon from Elba (in Salon of 1864, and Paris Exhibition, 1867).
- The Cuirassiers at Waterloo (in Salon of 1865, and Paris Exhibition, 1867).
- The Guard dies (in Salon of 1866, and Paris Exhibition, 1867 — his last work).
Battle scene, by Hippolyte Bellangé, at the Art Institute of Chicago
Elite Gendarme from the Imperial Guard of the Grande Armée, from the book, by Paul-Mathieu Laurent de l'Ardêche, Histoire de Napoléon, 1843.
- Trapp, Frank (1996). "Bellangé, (Joseph-Louis-)Hippolyte", vol. 3, p. 634, in The Dictionary of Art, 34 volumes, edited by Jane Turner. New York: Grove. ISBN 9781884446009. Also at Oxford Art Online (subscription required).
- Bellangé, Hippolyte (c. 1825). "Battle Scene" (Painting). Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Bellangé, Hippolyte; Dauzats, Adrien (1862). "Un jour de revue sous l'Empire (1810)" (Painting). Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- Adeline, Jules (1880). Hippolyte Bellangé et son œuvre. p. 52. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Hippolyte Bellangé.|
|This article about a French painter born in the 18th century is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|