The Hippomobile is an automobile invented by Étienne Lenoir in 1863 which carried its own internal combustion engine. It was based on his 1860 invention the Lenoir gas engine. Lenoir sold about 350 to 400 Hippomobiles.[dubious ]
In 1863 the Hippomobile with a hydrogen gas-fuelled one cylinder internal combustion engine made a test drive from Paris to Joinville-le-Pont, covering about eleven miles in less than three hours.
- History of the internal combustion engine
- List of hydrogen internal combustion engine vehicles
- Timeline of transportation technology
- Timeline of hydrogen technologies
- Engine Maturity, Efficiency, and Potential Improvements US Dept of Energy, Washington, page 7
|This article about a veteran automobile produced before 1905 is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|