August 4, 1987 |
Cayey, Puerto Rico
|April 20, 2013, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
(through 2016 season)
|Earned run average||5.29|
|Representing Puerto Rico|
|World Baseball Classic|
|2013 San Francisco||Team|
|2017 Los Angeles||Team|
Hiram Burgos (born August 4, 1987) is a Puerto Rican professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He attended the Puerto Rico Baseball Academy and High School and Bethune-Cookman College. In 2013, he made his Major League Baseball (MLB) debut with the Milwaukee Brewers.
When he was three years old his parents, Hiram Burgos Delgado and Ivette Irizarry Arce, introduced him to the sport by visiting baseball parks. Burgos expected to be selected in the 2008 Major League Baseball draft after recording a 9-1 season while pitching for Bethune-Cookman University, but was disappointed after going undrafted. As a consequence of this, he decided to complete his bachelor's degree following the insistence of his mother.
The Brewers promoted Burgos to the major leagues on April 19, 2013 and subsequently made his major league debut on April 20, 2013. His first career start came the same day at home against the Chicago Cubs. On May 11, Burgos had an ineffective start against the Cincinnati Reds, allowing 12 runs (10 earned) in just 3 innings pitched. A day after his sixth start of the season on May 21, Burgos was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a right shoulder impingement.
Burgos was released by the Brewers on September 2, 2014, and signed a minor league contract with them on January 30, 2015. On December 15, 2016, Burgos signed another minor league contract with the Brewers that included an invitation to spring training.
Burgos was invited to join the Brewers' spring training roster for 2017 and started in the Brewers' first game against the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Burgos pitched two scoreless innings. He elected free agency on November 6, 2017.
- Jorge Torres Ayala (2016-02-05). "Desde Cayey hasta el fin del mundo: una historia de apoyo incondicional" (in Spanish). NotiCel.com. Retrieved 2016-02-05.
- Tom Haudricourt. "Notes – Brewers demote Mike Fiers, call up Hiram Burgos". jsonline.com. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Tom Haudricourt. "Brewers add five to 40-man roster". jsonline.com. Archived from the original on February 16, 2016. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Todd, Jeff (January 30, 2015). "Minor Moves: Wall, Castillo, Volstad, Burgos, Flores". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved January 31, 2015.
- Adams, Steve (December 15, 2016). "Brewers Sign Eric Sogard, Andy Oliver, Hiram Burgos To Minors Deals". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 15, 2016.
- Rosiak, Todd (February 21, 2017). "Camp report: Hiram Burgos will start vs. UWM". jsonline.com. Retrieved February 28, 2017.